Menu

Nose ring advice needed

Storygirl

DS18 got a nose piercing two and a half weeks ago, for his birthday. About a week ago, the stud fell out. I'm not certain how plausible it is for it to have it come out on its own, or whether DS messed with it or took it out on purpose. Anyway, he couldn't get it back in, but he had a nose ring that he put in there to keep the hole open, and we made an appointment for a day or two later (as soon as we could get in) to go back to the piercing place. They replaced the stud.

It fell out again at home a day or so ago, and DH was able to help him get it back in, though DH didn't want to help. Part of our deal with this nose ring, is that DS must be able to handle all of it on his own (except transportation; DS doesn't drive). But we've had to step in and help often. More often than this story would appear, as I am simplifying things.

So DS just texted me from school, saying that it fell out again. He thinks he should put a nose ring in there, instead of the stud, because a ring can clasp and won't fall out. The piercing place told him that he had to leave the stud in for six to eight weeks before changing it out, so switching to a ring would not follow those guidelines. But it maybe would solve the falling out problem.

I know nothing about nose rings. How bad would it be to just go ahead and switch it from a stud to a ring at this point? Then hopefully we could get DS to leave it alone for the required six to eight weeks for healing.

Edited by Storygirl

Just now, Storygirl said:

We can ask the piercing place. They did modify the new stud that they put in, to prevent "sinking." I'm not sure what other options they have.

With ears I think the stud is so that it doesn't get tugged on while raw, and that the stud is thicker than the typical hoop/ring. So if you use too thin a ring he won't be able to do a thicker stud later. 

• Like 3

When I had a nose ring, I had a ring put in right away— no stud. If he’s never going to want a stud I don’t see any reason not to that route. Otherwise, @ktgrok has a good point about a thicker stud not fitting later.

I had it done at a tattoo/piercing place in the Haight Ashbury when I was 18. I kinda regret removing it (it was hard to get a “real” job back then with one tho).

• Like 1

I'd go back to the piercing place and ask for a ring-type replacement.  I actually have never heard of a stud for a nose ring.  Dd got one when she was 13 and several of her friends have them and they all had rings from the get go.  Dd's was so hard to undo the first time, there was essentially no way to could just fall out.  Nose ring holes heal up very very fast so he will want a solution ASAP.

• Like 3

This isn't directly related to nose piercings, but it might be helpful.

One of my daughters has helix piercings. She was told that she had to have a stud while it was healing, because a ring will hang and drag a bit on the hole. We were told that the hole could end up askew because of this dragging during the healing phase.

Also, the gauge of the original jewelry matters. If you switch to something smaller in diameter, the hole will heal at that smaller size, limiting your jewelry options later on.

I think nose piercings look great. I hope your son enjoys his.

• Like 1

I Had my nose pierced. Twice. Both times the first thing they put in was a ring, a little bigger than the final gauge off the hole was supposed to be, and really hard to remove. With the first one, especially, it was a bit of an ordeal with a pair of pliers in front of the mirror when I finally got to change it. I would definitely go back to the piercing place and see if they can put in a ring. 

• Like 1

Thank you, everyone! We left a message today at the tattoo/piercing place that was not returned yet. I assume we will hear back from them tomorrow. It will help to hear what they recommend; DS needs to hear their advice and not just mine, but it's helpful for me to hear from people with real-life experience.

If this place won't do it, there is another place that we can call for another opinion. I would prefer DS to follow the "leave the stud in for 6-8 weeks before changing to something else" guidance, but we are having such problems with this that I think we need to consider alternatives.

Edited by Storygirl
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, Storygirl said:

Thank you, everyone! We left a message today at the tattoo/piercing place that was not returned yet. I assume we will hear back from them tomorrow. It will help to hear what they recommend; DS needs to hear their advice and not just mine, but it's helpful for me to hear from people with real-life experience.

If this place won't do it, there is another place that we can call for another opinion. I would prefer DS to follow the "leave the stud in for 6-8 weeks before changing to something else" guidance, but we are having such problems with this that I think we need to consider alternatives.

yeah, I'd be worried with this continuing to happen that he'd inhale the backing of the stud up into his nose!

19 hours ago, Farrar said:

The nose piercings I’ve seen have a screw clasp. Just be sure whatever he puts in is super clean since the piercing is still healing.

This. DD #3 users just a stud. She’s had it for three years and no issues at all.