Menu

Party pooper lawsuit

Murphy101

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-61141421

I remember some time ago there was quite the discussion here that no, not everyone likes parties or surprises or surprise parties. In fact, some people absolutely hate them.  So when I saw a man won nearly half mil suing his employer for giving him a birthday party after he clearly stated to not do so - I thought I’d share here.

Personally, I’m glad he won. 

• Like 11

13 minutes ago, Katy said:

DH sent an article about this to me yesterday. I’m so glad he won. That wasn’t party pooping, it was harassment.

I agree. But then again, I’ve always thought calling people a party pooper was like saying people can’t take a joke. Both are things people say when anyone calls them on being jerks. 

• Like 7

I hate it when people's requests are ignored.  In this case it sounds like it caused real harm.

Agree or disagree with the outcome, hopefully companies will think twice before creating big unwanted surprises after being warned not to.

1 hour ago, SKL said:

I hate it when people's requests are ignored.  In this case it sounds like it caused real harm.

Agree or disagree with the outcome, hopefully companies will think twice before creating big unwanted surprises after being warned not to.

Well yeah. That and also maybe they will think twice about claiming “work place safety” on a person rightly upset about being disregarded and mistreated.  It’s gross discrimination to treat everyone who even says they have panic attacks as a violent person. 

Edited by Murphy101
  • Like 2

This was such a bizarre. There were so many things the people at the company messed up. I could see things escalating to just throwing the party despite the guy's objection, I can see a few employees teasing the guy about it. But to fire someone because they didn't enjoy their birthday party at work, WHAT?!

Employees teasing the guy about his panic attack already says to me this is a toxic workplace.