Menu

Another Chicago question - places to stay outside of Chicago and using public transport?

Kassia

Hi, we're thinking about taking our first trip to Chicago for a long weekend for our anniversary.  The hotels that are convenient to everything are so expensive and reviews aren't great either.  I was wondering if staying outside of Chicago and using public transport would be a better option?  But I don't know where to start and was wondering if anyone did this and could recommend a place.  

If you'll be spending all your free time in downtown Chicago, I'd still stay downtown.  We've been there about 6 times this past year, and have been able to find very nice hotels around $200/night.   Another option is a downtown hotel we've stayed at a lot over the years:  the Congress Plaza Hotel.  It's right near Buckingham Fountain and just a couple blocks from the Art Institute of Chicago and the Chicago Symphony Orchestra.  Right now I'm seeing it for between $120 and $170/night for a standard room, depending on which site you book it on. 

It's an old, massive hotel built for a world Exposition in the late 19th century.  The rooms are very basic and simple and plain -- but that's what makes it more affordable.  The lobby itself is really lovely.  There used to be a bar/lounge in the lobby;  I'm not sure if it's still there, but I think so?

Anyway, just a thought!  https://www.congressplazahotel.com/our-hotel

I'm also seeing some other hotels for about $150/night on sites like hotels.com and bookings.com.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

27 minutes ago, J-rap said:

If you'll be spending all your free time in downtown Chicago, I'd still stay downtown.  We've been there about 6 times this past year, and have been able to find very nice hotels around $200/night.   Another option is a downtown hotel we've stayed at a lot over the years:  the Congress Plaza Hotel.  It's right near Buckingham Fountain and just a couple blocks from the Art Institute of Chicago and the Chicago Symphony Orchestra.  Right now I'm seeing it for between $120 and $170/night for a standard room, depending on which site you book it on. 

It's an old, massive hotel built for a world Exposition in the late 19th century.  The rooms are very basic and simple and plain -- but that's what makes it more affordable.  The lobby itself is really lovely.  There used to be a bar/lounge in the lobby;  I'm not sure if it's still there, but I think so?

I'm also seeing some other hotels for about $150/night on sites like hotels.com and bookings.com.  

Thank you!  The more I think about it, the more I think we should stay downtown since that's where we'll be spending all of our time and we won't be there that long.  I don't want to waste so much time commuting back and forth.  And I am recovering from foot surgery so I need to avoid unnecessary steps.  

Are there affordable places to eat in the area?  

The last time we stayed in Chicago, we stayed in Oak Park about a block or so from the train.   It was a single line into downtown.  Honestly it was fine, we spent a couple days exploring downtown.   We had stuff we needed to do away from downtown as well on that trip and it was a lot cheaper.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, catz said:

The last time we stayed in Chicago, we stayed in Oak Park about a block or so from the train.   It was a single line into downtown.  Honestly it was fine, we spent a couple days exploring downtown.   We had stuff we needed to do away from downtown as well on that trip and it was a lot cheaper.  

Do you remember what hotel you stayed in?

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Kassia said:

Thank you!  The more I think about it, the more I think we should stay downtown since that's where we'll be spending all of our time and we won't be there that long.  I don't want to waste so much time commuting back and forth.  And I am recovering from foot surgery so I need to avoid unnecessary steps.  

Are there affordable places to eat in the area?  

You can go to google maps and put in an address and then search for "nearby" restaurants.  There are generally lots of different options if you're in the downtown in tourist-popular areas.  When we last stayed at the Congress Plaza near the Chicago Symphony Orchestra, we had dinner one night at The Berghoff restaurant, a very nice but reasonably priced German restaurant.  (Entrees averaging between $18 and $25.)   There are also plenty of less expensive options within a range of a few blocks.

https://www.theberghoff.com

But we've stayed in other parts of the downtown with other options that are reasonably priced.  I guess it might depend on whether you want to be in a particular area near museums, theater, etc.   But on a side night, it's easy to catch an Uber/Lyft to different parts of the downtown.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

How many people are going?  Or how many beds in a hotel room do you need?  We just did a Chicago trip and it is harder to find a room to sleep a big family without doing one or more rooms.  

Are you driving?  Paying for parking downtown sucks.

With your foot surgery I don't know how much walking and stairs you want to do. 

The one thing that does save us $ even staying in Chicago is staying at a place with free breakfast and an evening reception.  I know there are a few hotels that do it. But mostly we stay at Homewood Suites and Embassy Suites.  That makes the price of the room seem better in my head.

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, mommyoffive said:

How many people are going?  Or how many beds in a hotel room do you need?  We just did a Chicago trip and it is harder to find a room to sleep a big family without doing one or more rooms.  

Are you driving?  Paying for parking downtown sucks.

With your foot surgery I don't know how much walking and stairs you want to do. 

The one thing that does save us $ even staying in Chicago is staying at a place with free breakfast and an evening reception.  I know there are a few hotels that do it. But mostly we stay at Homewood Suites and Embassy Suites.  That makes the price of the room seem better in my head.

Just the two of us.  Our first trip without kids in over 32 years!  

Yes, we're driving and paying for parking definitely sucks.  

I feel the same way about the breakfast/evening food deal.  We are not foodies and don't like spending a lot on food so hotel food works great for us.  I try to always stay at a Drury if there's one available but there are none anywhere close.  

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Kassia said:

Just the two of us.  Our first trip without kids in over 32 years!  

Yes, we're driving and paying for parking definitely sucks.  

I feel the same way about the breakfast/evening food deal.  We are not foodies and don't like spending a lot on food so hotel food works great for us.  I try to always stay at a Drury if there's one available but there are none anywhere close.  

In general, business hotels tend to have the food, at least M-Th. Staybridge and Springhill are two we use fsirly often if Drury is not available. 

• Thanks 1

What do you want to go see and do?

Some hotel ideas in Chicago by neighborhood:

River North just west of Michigan Avenue, about 6 blocks. The Ohio House Motel is a midcentury modern motel with a parking lot. Area is gritty but has fun bars and restaurants nearby. Crime is up there. LaSalle Street is busy and loud.

River North. Moxy Hotel. Also on LaSalle close to Ohio House. Fun spot. Gritty.

River North. Godfrey Hotel and Acme Hotels. Don't know much about them but the area is lively.

Gold Coast. Claridge House. Gorgeous lobby. Right next to the Third Coast restaurant. The Gold Coast is full of beautiful brownstones and is one of the safest neighborhoods. A few blocks north of Mariano Park where many of the hopping restaurants are. Mariano Park is a good spot to people watch in summer. A couple of blocks east of Old Town. Just south of Lincoln Park (neighborhood and park) and zoo.

For parking, use Spot Hero.

Be aware that crime in Chicago is up significantly since 2019. Some events have been quite brazen even in winter when crime tends to drop. Warmer months are often worse. Chicago has lost a lot of police and cannot find replacements. I would suggest taking buses, maybe the Purple or Brown Line trains and Metra train but only if the train stations are on the safer side. My son and my husband and I have lived in River North, Streeterville, Gold Coast, Lincoln Park, Lakeview and Rogers Park neighborhoods. We avoid even the Red Line train now and take mostly the bus although my son takes the Brown Line to work. Not to scare you, just be aware of your surroundings.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thank you so much!  Definitely want to avoid anywhere "gritty." 

We don't really have anything planned yet to see - wanted to figure out hotel first.  We really just want to get away and spend some much-needed time together.  The Bean, the tall building with the glass floor (can't remember the name!), the art museum maybe...whatever is walkable from the hotel.  

• Like 2

Aww your first getaway without kids in 32 years!  I hope you have a great time.  We could take the train into the city but we decided to drive and to not take public transit.  We went after the mask mandate was over in IL and we just wanted to lower our Covid risk a bit more and we were not comfy with it.  So we drove and parked.  Maybe public transit would have been cheaper, but probably not that much more and the ease and less exposure was worth it to me.  However the hotels were packed and very little masks were seen.  Definitely not in our comfort level at the time.   We masked up in the hotel, got the free food and ate in our rooms.

• Like 1

No hotel recommendations since we just picked a place and took a cab or Uber to get around. Dh can;t walk long distances. 
But I did want to give two recommendations for things we really loved. One was the Chicago French Market- tons of food food at reasonable prices. It’s easy to try a bit of several things and there’s a ton of variety.

The other is the architecture boat tour. It is lovely-you learn a lot of history and enjoy a boat ride. The tour guides are wonderful. 

Have a great time!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Kassia said:

@BeachGal would you recommend not staying/parking at River North?  There's a Staybridge Suites there that looks good but not if it's unsafe.

It’s fine to park and stay there but buses (22, 36 and 151 to get to major attractions), Uber, Lyft, taxis would be the safest way to travel evening and night. Daytime is fine for walking but be aware of surroundings. Also be very aware getting in and out of your car even in lots because carjackings have occurred there as well.

Is the hotel you’re looking at in the Wolf Point neighborhood of River North? Wolf Point is a new development. The Merchandise Mart is there. The first and second floors have swanky interior design showrooms open to the public. The second floor also has a large food court, McDonald’s and a unique little gift store full of goofy stuff. There’s also a bar/lounge called Marshall’s Landing that has a decent happy hour. Merchandise Mart gets quiet early evening when places close up around 5-7. There is a cat walk that goes over the street to the Holiday Inn which looks pretty nice.

If you visit the Art Institute, across the street is a hotel called the Chicago Athletic Association, a Hyatt. You can walk around the first and second floors. The second floor has a huge lounge area with dark wood, tall windows and fireplaces where you can sit and have a cup of coffee. There’s a large game room up there, too. It looks stuffy but it’s pretty chill. On the rooftop there is a bar called Cindy’s. Pricey drinks but views are great. They might have a happy hour. Not sure. The place is named for Cindy Pritzker.

Near The Bean is also Lurie Garden, designed by Piet Oudolf, and Maggie Daley Park.

https://www.chicagoathletichotel.com/

If you want to visit the John Hancock, go up to the lounge/bar — the Signature Room — about one hour before the sun sets, grab a seat  near windows if you can and order a drink. The elevator lines to go up there can get long and drinks are pricey but the views are great if it’s not overcast.

https://www.signatureroom.com/lounge/lounge-menus/specialty-cocktails/

Pizzeria Via Stato on State Street around Grand Avenue in the Embassy Suites has an excellent lunch special. Pizzas are very thin and cracker-like, very flavorful. Sandwiches are also good. You get a soup or salad and also a small piece of dense dark chocolate mousse pie with candied orange. It’s very good. Across the street are the old Tree Studios which are now little boutiques and restaurants. P.O.S.H. has unique things and the guys who run it don’t pester you when you look around. Also in the building is Cafe Cremerie which has coffee, tea, pastries and gelato. I think you can see the inner courtyard from their place which is pretty. Sweetgreen is a popular salad spot.

Velvet Taco is my favorite place on Mariano Park. It’s a dive but the second floor has seating along the windows that allows you to people watch up there. Tacos are unique and on the cheap side and their margaritas are strong (in Chicago). It gets busy at times.

Edited by BeachGal
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, BeachGal said:

It’s fine to park and stay there but buses (22, 36 and 151 to get to major attractions), Uber, Lyft, taxis would be the safest way to travel evening and night. Daytime is fine for walking but be aware of surroundings. Also be very aware getting in and out of your car even in lots because carjackings have occurred there as well.

Is the hotel you’re looking at in the Wolf Point neighborhood of River North? Wolf Point is a new development. The Merchandise Mart is there. The first and second floors have swanky interior design showrooms open to the public. The second floor also has a large food court, McDonald’s and a unique little gift store full of goofy stuff. There’s also a bar/lounge called Marshall’s Landing that has a decent happy hour. Merchandise Mart gets quiet early evening when places close up around 5-7. There is a cat walk that goes over the street to the Holiday Inn which looks pretty nice.

If you visit the Art Institute, across the street is a hotel called the Chicago Athletic Association, a Hyatt. You can walk around the first and second floors. The second floor has a huge lounge area with dark wood, tall windows and fireplaces where you can sit and have a cup of coffee. There’s a large game room up there, too. It looks stuffy but it’s pretty chill. On the rooftop there is a bar called Cindy’s. Pricey drinks but views are great. They might have a happy hour. Not sure. The place is named for Cindy Pritzker.

Near The Bean is also Lurie Garden, designed by Piet Oudolf, and Maggie Daley Park.

https://www.chicagoathletichotel.com/

If you want to visit the John Hancock, go up to the lounge/bar — the Signature Room — about one hour before the sun sets, grab a seat  near windows if you can and order a drink. The elevator lines to go up there can get long and drinks are pricey but the views are great if it’s not overcast.

https://www.signatureroom.com/lounge/lounge-menus/specialty-cocktails/

Pizzeria Via Stato on State Street around Grand Avenue in the Embassy Suites has an excellent lunch special. Pizzas are very thin and cracker-like, very flavorful. Sandwiches are also good. You get a soup or salad and also a small piece of dense dark chocolate mousse pie with candied orange. It’s very good. Across the street are the old Tree Studios which are now little boutiques and restaurants. P.O.S.H. has unique things and the guys who run it don’t pester you when you look around. Also in the building is Cafe Cremerie which has coffee, tea, pastries and gelato. I think you can see the inner courtyard from their place which is pretty. Sweetgreen is a popular salad spot.

Velvet Taco is my favorite place on Mariano Park. It’s a dive but the second floor has seating along the windows that allows you to people watch up there. Tacos are unique and on the cheap side and their margaritas are strong (in Chicago). It gets busy at times.

Thank you so much for all the recommendations and information!  🙂  🙂  

I checked and the Merchandise Mart is 1/2 mile west from the hotel.  Would you feel comfortable staying there?  

Edited by Kassia

On Dearborn? Not sketchy at all. A lot of trendy restaurants, bars and music venues in the area around your hotel. Near the 22 and 36 buses and just a few blocks east is the 151 bus which you could take for a quicker trip down to the Art Institute and Bean, etc. House of Blues isn’t far either.

Crime has been up all over the city, though, so at night especially, just get a ride home and keep your wits about you. I mean, it’s safe enough but there have been weird, random incidents usually at night.

Another recommendation for food if you like dim sum is MingHin which is just north and east of the Bean and is located on a secret park called Lake Shore East.

13 minutes ago, happi duck said:

Chicago pbs has/had? a show about restaurants called Check Please.  Their website can be a good resource: https://checkplease.wttw.com/

Thanks!  I'll check it out!

10 minutes ago, BeachGal said:

On Dearborn? Not sketchy at all. A lot of trendy restaurants, bars and music venues in the area around your hotel. Near the 22 and 36 buses and just a few blocks east is the 151 bus which you could take for a quicker trip down to the Art Institute and Bean, etc. House of Blues isn’t far either.

Crime has been up all over the city, though, so at night especially, just get a ride home and keep your wits about you. I mean, it’s safe enough but there have been weird, random incidents usually at night.

Another recommendation for food if you like dim sum is MingHin which is just north and east of the Bean and is located on a secret park called Lake Shore East.

Thank you so much!  I really appreciate all your help and hope I haven't been too much of a pain.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Kassia said:

Thank you so much!  I really appreciate all your help and hope I haven't been too much of a pain.  

Not at all! Chicago has so many cool things to do and see. The hard part is figuring out what to do among all the options.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, BeachGal said:

River North just west of Michigan Avenue, about 6 blocks. The Ohio House Motel is a midcentury modern motel with a parking lot. Area is gritty but has fun bars and restaurants nearby. Crime is up there. LaSalle Street is busy and loud.

This is our go to motel!  The parking on site and low price is what draws us.  And we don't mind a little gritty.  Just do not leave anything valuable in your car and keep your eyes open....anywhere I'm Chicago.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 4/16/2022 at 10:00 PM, J-rap said:

Wow, I remember staying there in the mid 1990's. I had two very young children and was pregnant and it was still in an excellent location to walk or get public transportation.

• Like 2