Menu

Inspiring books for boys?

I am looking for non-lit suggestions for tween and teen boys. He reads plenty of non-fiction and biographies, but I am looking for more encouraging or motivating reads. Not necessarily self-help, but inspiring "live your best" kinda feel if that makes sense? Anybody have a teen boy who had a book light a fire in him?

11 minutes ago, Lori D. said:

If Christian is okay, Do Hard Things (Harris) revolves around the idea of making the most of your tweens/teens/early 20s, when you have the most energy and fewest responsibilities.

Yes, we are Christian so that is great!

1 hour ago, Rosie_0801 said:

All the boys I ever knew who still read as teenagers read 'The Power of One' by Bryce Courtney. I haven't read it for years though, so I'm not sure how modern eyes would look at it.

Thanks!

• Like 1

My boys loved "Way of the Warrior Kid" by Willink. But it's more for a tween, though my teen enjoyed it as well. Also "You have a Brain" by Ben Carson was liked though it seemed to be in 2 parts-first part was the biography-that was really enjoyed, the second part was more self-help genre so they struggled through that-only because it wasn't as exciting.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/22/2022 at 8:28 PM, alisha said:

My boys loved "Way of the Warrior Kid" by Willink. But it's more for a tween, though my teen enjoyed it as well. Also "You have a Brain" by Ben Carson was liked though it seemed to be in 2 parts-first part was the biography-that was really enjoyed, the second part was more self-help genre so they struggled through that-only because it wasn't as exciting.

I just checked out “You Have a Brain” from the library.  Thank you for the suggestion!  It’s really interesting so far.  

Don't overlook literature for this kind of goal.  Deep, engaging stories with relatable protagonists can help you "live your best life now" by helping you imagine what living in the story world feels like and bringing some of that empathy back with you to the real world.  Lord of the Rings comes to mind, or perhaps The Power of One as @Rosiementioned on another thread recently (though I share her content warning on Power of One - it's been a minute since I read it, but it's not uncommon for Bryce Courtenay novels to include mature content).  Frodo and PK are fairly ordinary people who face significant darkness with courage and grit, and good wins in the end.  An empathetic reading and discussion can be really powerful.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, caffeineandbooks said:

Don't overlook literature for this kind of goal.  Deep, engaging stories with relatable protagonists can help you "live your best life now" by helping you imagine what living in the story world feels like and bringing some of that empathy back with you to the real world...An empathetic reading and discussion can be really powerful.

Absolutely! And... adding to your idea of inspiring Lit. -- the idea of inspiring films. 😄

Enchanted April (1991)
Babette's Feast (1987)
The Secret Life of Walter Mitty (2013)
Remember the Titans (2000)
Unbroken (2014)
To Kill a Mockingbird (1962)
Schindler's List (1993)
The Best Years of Our Lives (1946)
The Miracle Worker (1962)
Gandhi (1982)
Hotel Rwanda (2004)

And few past threads which include some ideas for inspiring lit. (these threads also link additional threads with more ideas):
- "High literature which is encouraging"
- "Classics: which are the most uplifting?"
- "High school literature suggestions that aren't so dark and depressing"
- "Suggestions for meaty but not depressing classics for teenagers"

Edited by Lori D.
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/15/2022 at 4:30 PM, caffeineandbooks said:

Don't overlook literature for this kind of goal.  Deep, engaging stories with relatable protagonists can help you "live your best life now" by helping you imagine what living in the story world feels like and bringing some of that empathy back with you to the real world.  Lord of the Rings comes to mind, or perhaps The Power of One as @Rosiementioned on another thread recently (though I share her content warning on Power of One - it's been a minute since I read it, but it's not uncommon for Bryce Courtenay novels to include mature content).  Frodo and PK are fairly ordinary people who face significant darkness with courage and grit, and good wins in the end.  An empathetic reading and discussion can be really powerful.

Wait...how is "literature" different from what she asked recommendations for?

1 hour ago, Ellie said:

Wait...how is "literature" different from what she asked recommendations for?

From the original post, the request was for: "non-lit suggestions...  Not necessarily self-help, but inspiring "live your best" kinda feel... He reads plenty of non-fiction and biographies..."

I took that to mean nonfiction that was more along the lines of "Christian self-help" or "Christian inspirational/devotional", rather than novels (fiction) or biographies (which he's already reading). @caffeineandbooks was suggesting fiction literature and novels (which are not nonfiction 😉 ). 

But, I've been wrong before and may have entirely misunderstood what OPer was looking for. 😉 

Edited by Lori D.
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/15/2022 at 5:30 PM, caffeineandbooks said:

Frodo and PK are fairly ordinary people who face significant darkness with courage and grit, and good wins in the end.

Along this same vein, I would recommend the Miss Peregrine’s Peculiar Children series. There are currently 5 books in the series. No mature themes that I’ve come across, though they are violent (primarily in a fantastical way). 

• Like 1

On 3/22/2022 at 8:28 PM, Brittany1116 said:

I am looking for non-lit suggestions for tween and teen boys. He reads plenty of non-fiction and biographies, but I am looking for more encouraging or motivating reads. Not necessarily self-help, but inspiring "live your best" kinda feel if that makes sense? Anybody have a teen boy who had a book light a fire in him?

Unleash the Giant Within, So Good They Can't Ignore You, Extreme Ownership, Daring Greatly, 7 habits of highly effective people / teens, how to win friends and influence people, Make Your Bed, 12 rules for life, 12 more rules for life, The Secret

• Like 1