Menu

~~~~~~~~~~~ March 2022 Frugalistas ~~~~~~~~~~~~

mommyoffive

2 hours ago, MissLemon said:

Oh nuts, yeah, I am going to have to bite the bullet and go over there. It's 24 miles from here, so I have been putting it off. I've gone from a 42DD to (I think) a 36C, so I have to replace everything. Ugh 😞

What a great reason to need new support!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Lurker here! RE: bras, I took my DD to a bra store and bought a couple of expensive bras in her hard to find size. Then I went to eBay and found more at least half off retail. If you know the specific bra and size that works, maybe eBay could help keep costs down.

Edited to add: they were new with tags on ebay

Edited by sgo95
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, mommyoffive said:

Yep.  We met with several dentists, orthos, oral surgeons about it.  They advised that they could not do the chain thing and bring the tooth up.  It was a canine tooth that was coming in horizontally.  However it was in the roots of 3 other front permeant teeth.  They said that doing that moving the tooth would cause the loss of the other 3 teeth.  Very disappointing that it wouldn't have worked for kiddo.

I'm sorry it didn't work out for that. You definitely did your homework! I didn't know such a thing was even possible for some cases, so it was pretty fascinating to watch (though painful to go through-for Dd, and for me!).

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mum said:

I'm sorry it didn't work out for that. You definitely did your homework! I didn't know such a thing was even possible for some cases, so it was pretty fascinating to watch (though painful to go through-for Dd, and for me!).

Yeah I had no clue that a tooth could come in horizontally.   I had braces and an expander as  kid, but had no clue as to some of the things that could happen in people's mouths.  Hoping the youngest doesn't have that happen too.  Another dd got flagged because they thought her teeth were coming in like that too.  Thankfully no for now.  But then she got flagged for other immediate ortho work so.  Oh well.  I had hope that we wouldn't need braces as everyone's baby teeth looked perfect.  But no such luck.  I had never heard of pulling up teeth like that either.  I wish it would have worked out in our case.  Definitely the cheaper and better option.  

• Like 1

17 hours ago, sgo95 said:

Lurker here! RE: bras, I took my DD to a bra store and bought a couple of expensive bras in her hard to find size. Then I went to eBay and found more at least half off retail. If you know the specific bra and size that works, maybe eBay could help keep costs down.

I ebay a lot, mostly curriculum and lightly used. But I wonder when things like this are nwt on ebay. I read somewhere that a huge number are stolen goods.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Spirea said:

I ebay a lot, mostly curriculum and lightly used. But I wonder when things like this are nwt on ebay. I read somewhere that a huge number are stolen goods.

The more likely things is that they were deadstock that didn't sell and someone bought it when a store closed

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Spirea said:

I resell on eBay, and no, it's not stolen goods. You'd be surprised at how many times I have bought brand new with tags items at thrifts, estate sales, garage sales. It's very common. People but all kinds of stuff that they never use. 

• Like 2

On 3/10/2022 at 1:42 PM, QueenCat said:

What a great reason to need new support!

It is! I am excited to have pretty, new things, but not so excited to spend money on them! 

On 3/10/2022 at 3:36 PM, sgo95 said:

Thanks for the suggestion. I sell on eBay; I don't know why I didn't think of this before!

• Like 2

11 hours ago, hjffkj said:

Good luck

Thanks.  It went smooth.  Now we are a 2 minivan family.  I am glad we decided to get a hybrid 7 or 8 months ago.  I had no idea gas would be where it is now, but it came just in time.   It worked out really well because the transmission was going out on dh's car. 

The dealer told us we could drive this van to CA and sell it for at least 10k more than what we paid for it.   Now I kind of want to sell our old minivan.  

Edited by mommyoffive
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, prairiewindmomma said:

Yeah, prices new here on the west coast are over MSRP. Our dealership regularly only has 6-10 vehicles on it. This week, there were zero new cars. 

We ordered ours from Toyota and had to wait for it to be built.  We just got it yesterday and I think we put our money down in Sept or Oct.   We did not have to pay over MSRP.

• Like 1

I am working on sewing drawstring gift bags out of some of the knit fabric my neighbor gave me some months ago. This week, I also started some birthday and  Christmas shopping. I am trying to take care of some things as I do my usual  Amazon orders. I suspect prices are only headed up this year, but dh’s salary won’t be moving with inflation, so I am trying to lock in prices now. I have a list going in my planner so I can track everything. 

• Like 2

Frugalista fail?

I bought some wool balls for the dryer sometime in 2021.  They are super cute. In looking at the link today to include here, they are up a bit in price from when I got them. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0826QDZ5X?pd_rd_i=B0826QDZ5X&pd_rd_w=lvbq7&pf_rd_p=cc7afcc5-25bd-41a6-9934-4067a293ee62&pd_rd_wg=ALbaK&pf_rd_r=3SNNGFPPJ2QVSK3G63JJ&pd_rd_r=24e3bbb4-dc90-4ca3-8059-85d48d61a44d  They got put aside when we were hoping to get cabinets for the laundry room (which didn't happen) and in tidying everything up, I rediscovered them. Supposedly they reduce dry time, make things fluffier, and make things softer. I've been washing another round of down comforters to put away for the season, and I've been using them.  I've also put them through several loads of laundry.  I can't see that they are doing a thing. I already didn't use fabric softener at all on most of my laundry, so I have a good sense of what my laundry is like without it.  Either way, they are cute and double as nice juggling props, but I'm a wee bit disappointed.

Am I missing some magic trick to making them work?  

We have been trying to maximize digital couponing for the last month. We have been averaging 60% savings compared to retail for the last three weeks for those stores. Unfortunately others seem to be doing the same thing—no matter the time of day we can’t seem to get in on the meat sales there or some of the other big items. It’s just continuously sold out. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, prairiewindmomma said:

We have been trying to maximize digital couponing for the last month. We have been averaging 60% savings compared to retail for the last three weeks for those stores. Unfortunately others seem to be doing the same thing—no matter the time of day we can’t seem to get in on the meat sales there or some of the other big items. It’s just continuously sold out. 

How are you doing this?  Is it through the store or a coupon sites?  If it is stores, what stores are doing great sales? 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

How are you doing this?  Is it through the store or a coupon sites?  If it is stores, what stores are doing great sales? 

Kroger brand store, their direct digital coupon

This weekend we paid .22 for 1.75 qt icecream, which we stashed away for upcoming birthdays. We missed out on ground beef under $3/lb. $2.88? We got .47 Tillamook yogurt, cheese was under $2/bag, and we got something else….I can’t remember what this week as ds did the shopping.

It’s a limited number of items, but because the store is on our usual loop for errands, it’s worth stopping in. I would drive a long distance just for those items and those sales.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, prairiewindmomma said:

This weekend we paid .22 for 1.75 qt icecream, which we stashed away for upcoming birthdays. We missed out on ground beef under $3/lb. $2.88? We got .47 Tillamook yogurt, cheese was under $2/bag, and we got something else….I can’t remember what this week as ds did the shopping.

It’s a limited number of items, but because the store is on our usual loop for errands, it’s worth stopping in. I would drive a long distance just for those items and those sales.

Kroger sales are so good.  I can hit one up while my kids are at things an hour away from home.  Totally worth it for me.  I actually haven't gone in since before Christmas.  I should.  

• Like 1

FWIW, our Kroger brand store is actually the most expensive of chain brands for our area. There are the premium stores like Whole Foods, Market of Choice and New Seasons which of course are more...but of the general store brands Kroger is more expensive for nearly every food item over Wal-Mart, SuperTarget, Trader Joe's, and things in that category.  I've been having to update my pricing guidelines everywhere since the world has been so wild lately. It's been a shock in pricing chicken to realize that Target is actually the best place to buy chicken.....better even than Costco. 

What are you guys seeing in your regions? 

I really, really, really, really miss Aldi. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, prairiewindmomma said:

FWIW, our Kroger brand store is actually the most expensive of chain brands for our area. There are the premium stores like Whole Foods, Market of Choice and New Seasons which of course are more...but of the general store brands Kroger is more expensive for nearly every food item over Wal-Mart, SuperTarget, Trader Joe's, and things in that category.  I've been having to update my pricing guidelines everywhere since the world has been so wild lately. It's been a shock in pricing chicken to realize that Target is actually the best place to buy chicken.....better even than Costco. 

What are you guys seeing in your regions? 

I really, really, really, really miss Aldi. 

You don't have Aldi??  That stinks.  I don't have an Aldi in town, but within 20ish mins one way.  So again we hit it up on our way back and forth.   

Kroger is expensive if it is not their sale things.  I have never shopped at Whole Foods.  Mostly we shop at Walmart or Aldi.  And then hit sales at Kroger sometimes, but not all that often. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, prairiewindmomma said:

I have Walmart, Aldi's, Kroger's and a couple other lower end grocery stores. I primarily shop at Aldi's. I hit Krogers for loss leaders/closeouts and specialty items Aldi's doesn't carry. I hit Walmart for staples that Aldi's doesn't have/out of stock (for instance frozen raspberries and lime juice have been in short supply)- also they have a bigger variety of produce. Walmart's generics are usually pretty close to Aldi's but my kids prefer Aldi's to anything else. I think it is more a matter that they are so used to Aldi. One time dh got Tyson chicken nuggets (Aldi was out and that was the only brand at Wal-Mart) and the kids complained and complained we didn't get the "good" ones- ie Aldi brand. 

Dh is off on a business trip this week so I'm having him pop into Trader Joe's for a few things (that way I don't have to order it).

7 minutes ago, hjffkj said:

$98 on new pointe shoes because dd's feet got wider! 

Every time I think odd feet will have stopped growing, nope.  Not sure what shoes she is wearing or how fast she is going through them.  Stocking up on shoes is kind of dicey.  IT can save money, but if she grows before she uses them.  We have been told it is good to have more than one pair to air them out everyday.  

But I have gotten good deals on 

Ebay like half price

Discount dance just had 25% off pointe shoes.  That and I bought their giftcards on discount when they had a sale.   Maybe it was 20% off.  Then I can stack those with a sale.

Edited by mommyoffive
  • Like 2

Signed girls up for track- $60 for both with tshirts. Meets will be $7 each- runs 6 weeks.

Finally called to get Chase points transferred and redeemed on dh's card- so I could get 25% more for AirBnB purchase.

Working on closing out Citi account- had to call to get transfer limit increased.

I don't know why some financial stuff really stresses me out and I put it off.

Still need to figure out VIPKID BookNook program, they are offering a bonus but I still haven't got my fingerprints done, why that stresses me, I don't know.

And ordered a few things from Duluth- tshirt for dh, tshirt and pants for me and bag for travel (small personal bag). Dh always gets cheap tshirts but they don't wear well or last so I got him one to try out as they were 20% off and free shipping after my stuff (unfortunately the clearance ones weren't in his size). I got a pair of pants for travel- hopefully to replace my black hiking pants- I bought 7 yrs ago that haven't worn as well as I'd like and don't fit as well as I'd like either, thankfully the ones from Duluth were on Clearance.

Edited by Soror
  • Like 1

Surgery deposits are ridiculous, but I have had to pay a few. They generally cover your estimated costs for the surgery, so hopefully your OOP afterwards will be close to $0.

I went to the dentist today…I need some (more) extensive work. Save now, ladies, in your 40s and 50s you will pay equal amounts in tuition and dental work on the regular. No one warned me, but among my friends we all seem to be in this awful place. And, quite literally, the estimate for dental is the same as the spring trimester tuition check I just wrote. 😞  It’s in the budget, but it was money I had hoped I could free up to spend elsewhere.

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

14 minutes ago, prairiewindmomma said:

Surgery deposits are ridiculous, but I have had to pay a few. They generally cover your estimated costs for the surgery, so hopefully your OOP afterwards will be close to $0.

I went to the dentist today…I need some (more) extensive work. Save now, ladies, in your 40s and 50s you will pay equal amounts in tuition and dental work on the regular. No one warned me, but among my friends we all seem to be in this awful place. And, quite literally, the estimate for dental is the same as the spring trimester tuition check I just wrote. 😞  It’s in the budget, but it was money I had hoped I could free up to spend elsewhere.

They told me it covers surgeon's fees and equipment, and to expect assistant surgeon, anesthesia, and hospital to bill after. Bleh. 

That stinks about the dental. I have a feeling I need an extensive filling replaced or a root canal. And my next appt is a week before my surgery so it will be put off for a bit.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

Hit some good sales and digital coupons this week at HEB. It brought the price of all the meat to about $2/lb. I spent $92 total, which is very low for us. I will grab more deli meat at some point before next Wednesday, but I think that's all we'll need before then. 

• Like 4

4 hours ago, MissLemon said:

Hit some good sales and digital coupons this week at HEB. It brought the price of all the meat to about $2/lb. I spent $92 total, which is very low for us. I will grab more deli meat at some point before next Wednesday, but I think that's all we'll need before then. 

4 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

Dh got his bonus and it was a lot higher than we were hoping.  

Whoo-hoo!!

• Like 3

On 2/28/2022 at 11:13 AM, hjffkj said:

The new phone I bought had a defect so I had to return it.  They were supposed to just replace it but cancelled the replacement so I don't know if I'm getting a replacement or refund. So, I can't order a new phone until I know.  This really messes up my ebay listing because I used my phone to take pictures. So, I haven't listed anything in 2 weeks 😞

Can you pull the photos from any cloud storage? iCloud, Google Photos? 

• Like 1

New to the board, and following along for tips. 

Currently, waiting on payment from a local children's consignment sale. Decluttering items we don't need and getting extra $ is a winner. As we do the seasonal clothes switchout, I'm going to start culling items and sorting them for quicker prepping/tagging in the fall sale. 

looking forward to learning from you all 🤩

• Like 3

1 hour ago, MagistraKennedy said:

Can you pull the photos from any cloud storage? iCloud, Google Photos? 

It was more so the taking of the photos not retrieving photos. I have a nice camera that works well to but being able to simply use my phone to list and take pictures while creating the listing is much faster and easier. I have a phone again so eBay selling is back up and running.

• Like 2