Menu

Winter Olympics 2022

mommyoffive

On 2/15/2022 at 12:04 AM, dirty ethel rackham said:

I naively believed right would prevail and she would not be allowed to compete.   It’s really unfair!

However, here is a different perspective from Kai Lightner, an athlete who has competed on the world stage since his early teens so he is familiar with doping rules.  He is also African-American and very involved in racial justice and equity issues.  

From Kai Lightner’s Instagram story:

“The ruling isn’t black and white because WADA kind of messed up.  From what I’ve read, the problem appears to be timing. 
It's not that they won't punish her or her coaches/federation, it's that WADA didn't do their job in a timely manner the way they were supposed to, so the different parties don't have enough time to build a case before she is scheduled to skate. So, it's better to let her skate and handle her case afterwards to properly investigate and decide fault rather than act and risk egg on their face if she ends up not being guilty.  Not sure they’ve even tested her B sample yet.  
And we have to keep in mind that this is a 15 yo girl under strict supervision in a demanding and grueling training regime. She is not at fault and does not deserve to be embarrassed at this level. If WADA had done their job sooner, as a protected person (under 16) her identity would have been concealed and she would have been able to quietly banned from competing in the Olympics and been able to handle this matter with more privacy.“

As for a totally irrelevant opinion, dh thinks it’s about preventing war in the Ukraine. 🤔

I think they will have a hard time making this argument after watching today's fiasco.

Kamila Valieva drug case puts spotlight on adults around teen figure skater (msn.com)

In a December interview with Russian TV, she said her skaters train 12 hours a day, saying they can "always do more, demand more from yourself."

The World Rowing Federation confirmed to CNN that Shvetsky was team doctor for the Russian rowing team.

He was banned by Russia in 2007 over doping violations, according to Jim Walden, a lawyer for Russian doping whistleblower Grigory Rodchenkov, who is under witness protection in the United States

Rodchenkov, the former head of Russia's anti-doping laboratory, defected to the US and formed the basis of the 2016 McLaren Report which found that more than 1,000 Russian athletes benefited from a systematic doping program between 2011 and 2015. Dozens of Russian athletes were banned after the 2014 Sochi Olympics -- where Russian athletes won more medals than any other country.

"Russia's not writing on a clean slate. Russia has had a state sponsored doping program since at least the 1960s. It is very well established, it is heavily documented. And so when any Russian athlete tests positive, the Russian state is not doing anyone any favors because there is now a presumption of guilt instead of a presumption of innocence, which for a 15-year-old skater is terrible," Walden said.

• Like 2

Hope nothing bad is going to happen to Kamila Valieva. I watched the Nadia Comăneci documentary decades ago and it was chilling. 
https://www.bbc.com/sport/winter-olympics/60417450

“It was "chilling" to see the "cold" way distraught Kamila Valieva was treated by her Russian coach after several falls in her figure skating routine on Thursday, says International Olympic Committee president Thomas Bach.

Valieva, weighed down by a doping scandal and questions over the wisdom of allowing her to compete, made many mistakes in her free skate performance.

There was no hug and no comfort for the 15-year-old from coach Eteri Tutberidze when she came off the ice, instead she was asked "why did you stop fighting?".

Bach said the incident raised concerns for the future, adding: "When I afterwards saw how she was received by her closest entourage with what appeared to be a tremendous coldness, it was chilling to see this, rather than giving her comfort, rather than to try to help her."”

• Like 2
  • Sad 6

5 minutes ago, Spirea said:

I felt her falls were deliberate.

I think so too.  Because if she had medalled, no one was going to be able to get a medal according to the stupid rules they came up with after she was exposed.  Coming in fourth allowed the "ROC" to scoop the gold and silver. 

• Sad 1

My daughter has been in a sport that desperately wants a place in the Olympics. The adults are pushing for men to compete against women in it for more opportunities. No, I’m not talking about the transgender debate. It has brought out the UGLY. Seeing what happened to US gymnastics, I see nothing good that can come from anything being an Olympic sport anymore. It opens it up to so much unethical behavior from coaches and adults. I feel bad for the ROC skater. I’m assuming she was slipped something and I’ve heard skaters are disposable there. There are YouTube videos that show other countries stretching kids violently.  No wonder the silver medalist had a breakdown over being #2 instead of #1, which is terrible sportsmanship. ROC should be banned, period. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Ting Tang said:

My daughter has been in a sport that desperately wants a place in the Olympics. The adults are pushing for men to compete against women in it for more opportunities. No, I’m not talking about the transgender debate. It has brought out the UGLY. Seeing what happened to US gymnastics, I see nothing good that can come from anything being an Olympic sport anymore. It opens it up to so much unethical behavior from coaches and adults. I feel bad for the ROC skater. I’m assuming she was slipped something and I’ve heard skaters are disposable there. There are YouTube videos that show other countries stretching kids violently.  No wonder the silver medalist had a breakdown over being #2 instead of #1, which is terrible sportsmanship. ROC should be banned, period. 

I was so surprised at that.  That was disgusting and horrible.  At first  you kind of thought she was upset for her teammate that had fallen.  But then when they said what she was saying in Russian I just couldn't believe this little temper tantrum was being put on by a 17 year old at the Olympics.  I think one of her coaches should have gotten her out of there and calmed down in private. 

Edited by mommyoffive
  • Like 4

52 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

I was so surprised at that.  That was disgusting and horrible.  At first the you kind of thought she was upset for her teammate that had fallen.  But then when they said what she was saying in Russian I just couldn't believe this little temper tantrum was being put on by a 17 year old at the Olympics.  I think one of her coaches should have gotten her out of there and calmed down in private. 

That's what happens when you create a team of vipers mentality. Everyone is replaceable and out for themselves, no one cares about others.

• Like 4

Meanwhile in other sports

https://www.npr.org/2022/02/13/1080476239/erin-jackson-gold-500-meter-speed-skating

Gold medalist didn't actually qualify but her team mate knew she was the better skater and gave up her spot to her.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.usatoday.com/amp/6774807001

Finland's Gold medalist waits to congratulate last skier across the finish line before moving on to celebrations.

This is the attitude I've come to expect from my kids sport. I watched a team mate lose time to grab a pole at the bottom of a hill and hand it to the kid at the top who lost it. It was quick and efficient but still took his speed when you want to just get to the top of the hill. 

I just can't fathom the abuse and nastiness I hear of the Russian figure skating coach. Zero respect. Those athletes end up losing in life one way or the other and it is so sad. 

Edited by frogger
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, mommyoffive said:

I was so surprised at that.  That was disgusting and horrible.  At first  you kind of thought she was upset for her teammate that had fallen.  But then when they said what she was saying in Russian I just couldn't believe this little temper tantrum was being put on by a 17 year old at the Olympics.  I think one of her coaches should have gotten her out of there and calmed down in private. 

They said something about her belief that anything but first is losing.  What she doesn't realize is that ice skating is still very much subjectively judged, and not winning 1st doesn't make someone a loser.  And I bet there is a lot of talent out there that never even makes it to the Olympics.  My guess is they have allowed this behavior from her for a long time.