Menu

more dog woes

ktgrok

I have focused on organizing the school room, and the living room that we don't use really became a depository of stuff that needs to be unpacked, or needs to go into storage/garage/etc. Today I decided to take a stab at that room, and discovered the dog had, at some point, peed on the box with the artificial christmas tree. 

Y'all...I already was overwhelmed with that task. Now this? Do I try to wash the dang tree and order a storage bag for it? Trash it and worry about a new one next year? UGH!!!! My parents gave me that tree when DS seemed to be having allergies with the live trees we normally got. We never determined that was the actual probablem, but we kept using it as man, was it nice not to deal with fallen needles, and in the pandemic not having to go out and about to get a tree. 

It was a pricy one too, I can tell. I've never seen one in a store I liked better. GRRRRRRRR. 

• Sad 2

Yuck-- I'm sorry...

The box will need to be replaced-- but the tree is most likely fine (cardboard is absorbent!).

You could always set the tree outside for a few hours-- the sun will take care of any of the nasties if a few drops went through cardboard.

No need to hose down the tree (bad especially if tree is wired). 

• Like 6

Maybe the pee didn't soak all the way through? I know the cardboard can be very thick and coated on the boxes Christmas trees come in. That's a tough one - I don't even know how to go about cleaning an artificial Christmas tree beyond blasting it with Lysol....

So, most likely that’s a $300 problem (the tree)? I am with the others—de-box it, stick it in the sunshine, and re-evaluate. If you go for a new box, I would get a clear plastic one. You can label it (tape the label on the inside of the box, facing out) and you can probably nestle some decorations and other things inside of the box as well.

• Like 1

So...unpacked it and the cardboard on the inside was fine!!!! Didn't soak through!!! 

I ordered a bag to store it in, and it will be here tomorrow. 

Meanwhile, OTHER dog pooped on the stairs! Thankfully that hard kind, but UGH. There was poop on two stairs and a kitten on a third stair - like an obstacle course!

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, prairiewindmomma said:

Any chance you can gate the dogs to a room or two downstairs? It’s so not ok they are using your house as a litter box. I realize behaviors can regress with a move, but I hate to see your new house trashed by naughty animals while you are working on re-potty training.

We have a gate on the stairs, but 4 yr old doesn't always close it. It is supposed to automatically close, but 4 yr old hanging on it or trying to open it wrong means it doesn't always do that. They are crated a LOT right now, especially the one I had blamed for all the problems, but can't do that all the time, it's just not fair to them. The one that pooped on the stairs had JUST pooped outside, so she was out of her crate. Hound had not pooped yet today, so was crated. That's how we knew for sure it was the doodle mix. She'd snuck upstairs when DD4 was going up and down. 

21 hours ago, ktgrok said:

Thanks all. I'm having a cup of coffee and then going to tackle opening the box to check the tree. Sigh. 

Oh, and the printer broke today - only prints blank pages and do not have the spoons to deal with tech support right now. 

I don't know if it has been mentioned, but I have a spray that removes urine odors.  Can you try something like that?  Sorry, this sounds like my life, so I am very sorry!