Menu

Thredup consignment

ProudGrandma

I have friends who sold to thredup and vowed to not do it again after their first go.  They majorly undervalued the items and then sold well beyond that.  Yes, the business needs to make money, but the reasons for value reduction were ridiculous and they felt better about donating the items instead of working with them again. 

For selling-2 bags of clothes and shoes ( some new with tags, big brands, all in excellent condition, etc) and I made a huge pay out of 6.43! 

Not worth it.  And I hear from others they have gotten worse with the pay outs.  

I have bought stuff.  It can be hit or miss.  I bought a shirt in a size that arrived in a baby size ( I could not get anyone to understand this and needed up donating it).  Pants listed as one size but must have been only washed and dried on hot as the sun setting.  The return policy is odd.  Some returns are 1.99 to return and some are 8.99 to return.  When it first started out, it was awesome.  Now to me, it is meh. 

I have bought from ThredUp. I have typically been satisfied with what I bought there. I haven’t ever consigned my clothes there though. 

It’s been several years since I returned an item, but I don’t remember an issue. It was probably a bit of a PITA, but returning things usually is (to me). 

• Like 1

Consigning is super easy - get a box and fill it and send it in. However, as others have said above, expect less than $10 for gobs of clothes. I sent them 15-20 pair of Gymboree jeans one time and they said they were worth $3 total. 

I haven't had any problem with purchasing things there. I don't buy high dollar items since their return department is slow. If I buy something there, it has to be cheap enough that I feel ok with donating it if it doesn't fit.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, footballmom said:

I have friends who sold to thredup and vowed to not do it again after their first go.  They majorly undervalued the items and then sold well beyond that.  Yes, the business needs to make money, but the reasons for value reduction were ridiculous and they felt better about donating the items instead of working with them again. 

This was my experience as well. Never again.

I've never bothered to sell to them, I usually figure the local charity shop that supplies things for free to those in foster care, shelters, or rehab programs is a better use of my things than getting pennies on the dollar from ThreadUp.  Around here that's St Vincent de Paul, but it's different in every area IME.

I have bought a lot from ThreadUp. I've never needed to return anything. I have been careful to check the measurements (vintage or Chinese sizes can be drastically different than current & American ones), and I don't usually buy something that doesn't have measurements listed unless I recognize it as fairly recent.  A few weeks ago I bought a J.Jill dress that I tried to buy in store or catalog last spring, but it was already sold out.

• Like 1

I've purchased clothing several times from ThredUp. Definitely check the measurements. The experience has been okay...similar to eBay. 

I've returned items for ThredUp credit so that I could send them back with a free shipping label

I've realized I prefer trying things on in thrift stores to taking a chance on fit.  

If you itemize charitable donations for your taxes, you will come out far ahead if you donate to charity rather than sell to ThredUp. 

Edited by MercyA

My experience is poor.  I regularly buy clothing from eBay, liking that I can get exact measurements.  I’m an odd fit, especially for skirts. 

But, anyway, about ThredUp, I find their listings contain too little info compared to other sellers (very generic), and, when I have requested more info, they always reply that they cannot give more information.

When I have purchased from them on eBay, I realized quickly that their photos are not accurate - they pin and tuck and mask thin fabrics in a way that goes beyond just trying to take a good photo, IMO.

3 minutes ago, Familia said:

My experience is poor.  I regularly buy clothing from eBay, liking that I can get exact measurements.  I’m an odd fit, especially for skirts. 

But, anyway, about ThredUp, I find their listings contain too little info compared to other sellers (very generic), and, when I have requested more info, they always reply that they cannot give more information.

When I have purchased from them on eBay, I realized quickly that their photos are not accurate - they pin and tuck and mask thin fabrics in a way that goes beyond just trying to take a good photo, IMO.

well, I just bought several sweaters from them last night....less than $50 total...so I guess I will see what I think when they come.  Thanks for your thoughts. 

• Like 1

I’ve bought maybe 10-15 items from ThredUp. Their return process is annoying, especially if you are a regular Amazon Prime user. Their clothes are good quality, but their shoes aren’t great. IMO ThredUp is severely overpriced. They list their clothes‘ *original* prices and then their reduced price, which is so odd because none of these things are new or even currently sold so those prices are utterly irrelevant. Then they prices according to label, not item, which is annoying, because most thrift stores have set pricing for plain t-shirts vs. blouses, etc.  That being said, if you are in the market for a very specific brand and you know exactly the size you need, it’s worth it. I find coats and jackets are the best purchase from ThredUp.

Edited by GracieJane