Menu

Amazon returns

Martha in GA

I returned an item to Amazon a while back via UPS, and Amazon promptly refunded my money. However, I later got a message saying my credit card would be re-charged if the item wasn't received by January 13. Today, I got a message indicating that my credit card has been re-charged for the item since they didn't receive it. Wouldn't this be a problem between Amazon and UPS? Amazon must know I took the item in to UPS because they refunded my money. I am trying to contact Amazon's customer assistance but I can't seem to get past their automated system. I think I remember a thread about how to get a live person, but I don't remember the secret. Anyone know how to get resolution to my problem?

type "phone number" into Amazon's search bar. Click the blue "contact us" link in the information they give you at the top of the screen. You can either chat online or have a live person call you back. Super easy, you just have to wait for them to call. Usually within a half hour or less.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Denise in IN said:

You have to go through the automated chat system, but after you do that you will have the option of a live chat.  (Yes, it's a pain!)  

I had this exact situation and they refunded the money promptly.  The worst part of it is getting to an actual person who can take action!

After chatting with the automated chat person, I asked for a call and got...an automated phone call! Arrrgh.

4 minutes ago, Tap said:

type "phone number" into Amazon's search bar. Click the blue "contact us" link in the information they give you at the top of the screen. You can either chat online or have a live person call you back. Super easy, you just have to wait for them to call. Usually within a half hour or less.

Not even in the customer service area? Just as if I were doing a search for an item?

This is why I started keeping all my UPS receipts for Amazon returns, especially since they started doing bulk returns where you just drop the item off with a QR code at a UPS store. Once or twice they’ve threatened to re-charge me and when I get on the chat and provide the tracking number and a picture of the receipt, they drop it. 

Edited by Forget-Me-Not
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, Forget-Me-Not said:

This is why I started keeping all my UPS receipts for Amazon returns, especially since they started doing bulk returns where you just drop the item off with a QR code at a UPS store. Once or twice they’ve threatened to re-charge me and when I get on the chat and provide the tracking number and a picture of the receipt, they drop it. 

Yeah, I need to be better about this. I just figured when I got the email that they had refunded my money that they must have gotten notification from UPS that I had physically handed over the item.

I had this happen recently! I knew the item had been received because it was in a box with another return, and the other return had been received and refunded. 

Anyway, after going around and around with the automated chat and FAQs (and getting no answer or way to contact anyone), I finally typed “speak to a person” and an actual customer service rep joined the chat. He was able to work things out for me. 

• Like 2

I just checked and they moved the button I used to click. Type phone number, and then click the blue words that says "contact us". In the bottom right corner there is an oval that says 'return to chat'. CLick that, which will bring up a chat box. type "call me" and they will give you options. Or you can do it over chat, whichever you prefer. 

There used to be a "call me" option that popped right up when you typed in 'phone number' but it looks like they are changing some things. 

Any time you get to the chat box. you can ask them to call you instead. There are many ways to get to the chat box. This is just one of them. 

20 minutes ago, alisoncooks said:

Anyway, after going around and around with the automated chat and FAQs (and getting no answer or way to contact anyone), I finally typed “speak to a person” and an actual customer service rep joined the chat. He was able to work things out for me. 

Thank you! I did this and she assured me that it was taken care of. I will keep an eye on my credit card to make sure...

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Tap said:

I just checked and they moved the button I used to click. Type phone number, and then click the blue words that says "contact us". In the bottom right corner there is an oval that says 'return to chat'. CLick that, which will bring up a chat box. type "call me" and they will give you options. Or you can do it over chat, whichever you prefer. 

There used to be a "call me" option that popped right up when you typed in 'phone number' but it looks like they are changing some things. 

Any time you get to the chat box. you can ask them to call you instead. There are many ways to get to the chat box. This is just one of them. 

I have never had such a problem getting to a person as I had this time -- even the call I received was automated. However, I did as allisoncooks suggested and I got a live person to chat with -- though English was definitely not this person's first language

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Forget-Me-Not said:

This is what I do. I did notice it took much longer for my recent - and first- "Try before you buy" to be noted as returned even though UPS tracked the return as having been delivered already. 

1 hour ago, Martha in GA said:

Yeah, I need to be better about this. I just figured when I got the email that they had refunded my money that they must have gotten notification from UPS that I had physically handed over the item.

I generally get the refund right after I drop something off too. It doesn't indicate Amazon received it back, so check the receipts, sometimes you can check progress on your orders page. 

1 hour ago, Martha in GA said:

I have never had such a problem getting to a person as I had this time -- even the call I received was automated. However, I did as allisoncooks suggested and I got a live person to chat with -- though English was definitely not this person's first language

I wonder if they are having labor issues too. Either lack of staff due to Covid, or just needing too many people to be properly trained.  I agree it used to be really easy to talk to someone. Even though it was clear English was a second language, they generally spoke English well. The last few times I chatted with someone, they used very odd sentences that didn't make sense. I wondered if they were using a translate program. There were also long lag times between bits of conversation. I once had a 10 minute wait for them to answer the question "are you still there? because I had already waited 5 minutes for them to start the conversation. When I suggested I try another rep because they seemed busy with something else, they finally responded but were rude with me. 

I called and talked to someone later that day, and they were clearly confused by my complicated, but easy to understand issue. The language barrier is definitely becoming more of an issue. I try to be patient, because I don't speak a second language, so I figure they have that hurdle that I don't. But when a chat turns in to 30-40 minutes, that isn't pleasant to deal with. 

• Like 2

We had that happen this year as well. We went to the UPS store across the street and they had a preprinted pile of papers on the desk of how to deal with this exact problem. They said that it was happening more frequently. Anyhow, my hubby called the number on the sheet and they fixed him up in no time flat. Maybe I should make sure we keep that paper.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, elegantlion said:

I generally get the refund right after I drop something off too. It doesn't indicate Amazon received it back, so check the receipts, sometimes you can check progress on your orders page. 

Right, but at that point, Amazon knows you have dropped the item off to the carrier. If they don't receive the item, that is really the fault of the carrier.

11 hours ago, elegantlion said:

This is what I do. I did notice it took much longer for my recent - and first- "Try before you buy" to be noted as returned even though UPS tracked the return as having been delivered already. 

I find the iPhone app easier to use than the desktop version when dealing with Amazon.

You also should receive an email with every part of the return transaction. That gives you a “paper” trail. 

email with QR code when you file for the return 

email confirming the refund has begun process

email confirming the “pickup” (that you handed it over at your drop off point)

I don’t get one saying the item has been received by Amazon/the seller, but the one confirming that you handed it over to the return carrier should be all the documentation you need.