Menu

Things to do with a cricut?

ktgrok

My DD11 has a scholarship that pays for homeschooling supplies (anything educational related, including art supplies), and she doesn't have much she wants/needs, so was looking at some more creative options for her. I was thinking she might like a circut - she draws a lot and also likes to organize stuff, so being able to print out things she has drawn and put them on bins, or on pillows(?) or shirts or...I don't know. I really don't know what one does with a cricut other than make labels for bins when organizing...pretty sure that is what my sister does with hers, lol. 

I know the maker can maybe do stuff with leather as well, not just vinyl? And what paper stuff do you do? I really have no idea what this is used for, but people I know keep saying DD would like and use one. 

Would she?

Imhave an original (not fancy, not connected to internet) I use it for scrapbooking and making labels for storage. 
I have cut out letters /designs when making cloth  books or bags for grandkids. 

My DIL has a newer one. She draws things and sends them to her cricut and makes vinyl iron on  designs for home sewn clothes. 

My friends use it for their card making projects as well as scrapbooking, but none of us has a model that connects to the internet. 

Spend some time on you tube sites or Cricut sites  and see if something  there catches your fancy.

Edited by KatieInMN

We have one that is, sadly, not used enough. We made tote bags recently, as part of Christmas gifts. And DS designed something to put on a hoodie for me. Love that.

DS is into cosplay, and planning to use it that way. Putting his own designs in clothing, etc. He’s planning a few t-shirts as gifts, too. 

I think there’s a lot of crafting one can do, that we just haven’t done yet!

I think DD here would like to make scrapbooking and calendar stickers.

• Like 1

I have a neighbor friend who runs a little business making and selling custom shirts, onsies, water bottles, ornaments, pillows, etc.  She uses her Cricut for all of it.  She does pretty well for a little side business.

I have an older one that does not get used enough.  I bought it to do the boys' scrapbooks.  Maybe in 1.5 years when they go to college -- LOL.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Dmmetler said:

I have a Silhouette. I use mine for t-shirts, labels for lots of stuff, water bottle decals, binder covers, etc. I also use it to cut out pieces for teaching games. 

My sis-in-law has a Silhouette, too. She does amazing things with that machine. Makes t-shirt and hoodie iron-ons, engraves metal plates, makes all kinds of vinyl lettering for signs, etc.

30 minutes ago, happi duck said:

Cricuts print?  I thought they just cut things out.

At least on the Silhouette, You can print onto paper or printable vinyl and then use a scan and cut mat (Which has special lines to indicate edges) and Mark what to cut in the app. You can also draw using pens that fit in the blade slot-there are special ones, but cheap markers from the dollar store work pretty well, too. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

dumb question - if making a t-shirt or something, can you have multiple colors in the picture, or is it one color only?

Edit - ok, looks like you an layer stuff, to get different colors. So if you wanted say, a flower with blue petals and a yellow center you could cut out the yellow center and layer that on the petal part. 

Not sure if there is a way to print onto vinyl something and then cut it with the cricut?

Edit again - yes, google says that is a thing, lol 🙂

Edited by ktgrok