Menu

Hob on kitchen island? Splashing? Grease? Venting?

Laura Corin

If you cook from scratch, particularly if you use a wok (Husband cooks Chinese food at high heat):

We are redesigning the kitchen and are planning to put the hobs on the island/peninsula.  That's one big induction hob and one small gas wok hob.  We definitely need the latter in the kitchen - gas is the only option for the wok.  The below is an initial layout idea, but we are thinking about the lack of splash-back behind the hobs, particularly for the wok.  Any experience? 

I'm thinking we could put a 'splash side' on the wall by the wok hob next to the door (which would also make the peninsula seem more naturally connected to the wall), but would we just get a really greasy floor as well?  That door is always shut when we cook.  There isn't space to make the peninsula double depth on the wok side, like it is on the induction side.  Getting gas supply to the wok hob would not be a problem - the floor is made up of boards that can be lifted, with a cavity below.

The alternative location for the wok hob would be next to the fridge - that's where the gas supply is already, and it would make venting easier, as that's the outside wall.  It would mean crossing the 'aisle' whilst cooking, as the cook is likely to be using both induction and wok hobs, so not ideal, but the splashback wouldn't be a problem.

Any thoughts?  We are also wondering whether to have overhead venting for the hobs or the kind that pops up out of the worktop - any experience?

image.png.f959b3b84d3a35fa0d1d41fecf02e076.png

If you do a pop up - it needs to be well above the burners when in use - otherwise, you're sucking heat out the vent before it gets to your food.  they do have them that popup when in use, and slide back into the counter/worktop when not in use.  keep in mind, venting for gas requires a higher air speed than venting for electricity. (and gas should always be vented outdoors.)

I would consider putting the wok by the fridge - it would accommodate two cooks (a frequent issue in my kitchen), but you want splash guards for the grease it will put out.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, gardenmom5 said:

If you do a pop up - it needs to be well above the burners when in use - otherwise, you're sucking heat out the vent before it gets to your food.  they do have them that popup when in use, and slide back into the counter/worktop when not in use.  keep in mind, venting for gas requires a higher air speed than venting for electricity. (and gas should always be vented outdoors.)

I would consider putting the wok by the fridge - it would accommodate two cooks (a frequent issue in my kitchen), but you want splash guards for the grease it will put out.

Thanks for the info about vents.  If someone is using the wok ring they will also be using the induction hob at the same time.  We share our current (smaller) gas hob so I suspect we will carry on sharing the induction when necessary.  Both of us are only 5'4", so there's space. 

Husband is, this morning, talking about overhead vent for the wok (to outside) and pop-up vent for the induction, which might be a good option.

I have my cooktop in an island, and, yes--oil on the floor is going to be an issue with such a narrow counter. You could just keep a mat there and clean it up, though. I do not have any venting (other than a window over the sink, which I open if anything gets smelly) and have no problems with the lack of mechanical ventilation. It is not against code here not to have a vent hood, although everyone thinks it is.

• Thanks 1

I do not use a wok, but I absolutely do make a fairly wide mess across my wall area whenever I cook with oil/something greasy. I suspect a wok provides much more containment than my skillets and pans, but I’d still fear ending up with a greasy floor on the other side. Especially finer particles that may get in the air and drop to the floor less noticeably. Of course, with a super efficient vent system, maybe that isn’t as big of a problem as I imagine.

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, gstharr said:

Several friends who have built custom homes put the wok in a  separate  kitchen.  well moe like room.  Stainless steel counter and backsplash, high heat burner,, strong ventilation.  As an example, it would go inside what appears to be your pantry.

Unfortunately that's the hallway.  We have an understair cupboard I could exile Husband to though...

8 minutes ago, kbutton said:

I wonder if something like this would help however you decide to integrate things:

https://www.amazon.com/Grease-Splatter-Screen-Steel-Wok/dp/B07K9TL4MY

I am not as disciplined as I should be about using these, but they seem to help quite a bit. 

Thanks.  Unfortunately, Husband keeps the food moving in the wok all the time, so there's no time to use a splatter screen.

• Like 1

I have set off the smoke alarm a few times when I didn’t turn on the exhaust hood so I would want that over the gas stove.  
I have had gas stove opposite the fridge in gallery style kitchens without exhaust hoods but the kitchen window is very near the gas stove and can be kept open even when raining.

• Thanks 1