Menu

Omicron anecdata?

Not_a_Number

17 minutes ago, KSera said:

Another nasal spray study. This one doesn’t test prevention, but shows both sprays tested significantly shortened illness duration. Of note, the results were very similar for both the nasal gel (Vicks’s Nasal Defense) and the saline spray. While the results were blinded for researchers, they weren’t completely blinded for participants as they knew whether they were doing a nasal spray or a behavioral intervention, though sprays had been relabeled so they didn’t know which spray they were doing.

Nasal sprays and behavioural interventions compared with usual care for acute respiratory illness in primary care: a randomised, controlled, open-label, parallel-group trial

Oh thanks.  I am kind of upset that both the Vicks and the saline spray performed the same.  Ahh.  Maybe I have been throwing away money on Nozin and Xclear all these years.  But yeah thanks. Stocking up on these to help prevent or get rid of illness sooner is worthwhile to me.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

Oh thanks.  I am kind of upset that both the Vicks and the saline spray performed the same.  Ahh.  Maybe I have been throwing away money on Nozin and Xclear all these years.  But yeah thanks. Stocking up on these to help prevent or get rid of illness sooner is worthwhile to me.

I’d still like to see these compared to xylitol spray and an iota carrageenan. Iota carrageenan seems like it has performed the best in other studies I’ve seen, but I also know it’s the one people are most likely to have a sensitivity too. But if it turns out saline is actually as good as any of them, that would actually be great. Inexpensive and shouldn’t cause side effects other than maybe postnasal drip if you use too close to bedtime.

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, Mom_to3 said:

This makes me so upset. The New York Health Department still calls for mask usage for many groups and situations. The CDC does as well, including for five days after returning to public after recovering from infection. And not just for “little old ladies”. It’s illegal to attack someone, it’s the attack that’s illegal and dangerous. A mask is not dangerous at all and is in fact something that makes everyone safer when used. You can not harm someone by wearing a mask. These people are ridiculous. It’s all political for them. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

This is from last year, but I thought it might be relevant to some here @Spryte  I was well aware about Covid reactivating Epstein-Barr virus,  but for some reason wasn’t really thinking about Lyme. For some reason, when I’ve heard of other people with long Covid testing positive for Lyme or other tickborne diseases, I thought it just a coincidence or perhaps one made them more susceptible to the other, but this makes sense.

COVID isn’t just infecting you—it could be reactivating viruses that have been dormant in your body for years

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

With more Tour de France riders falling ill with COVID daily (https://www.bbc.com/sport/cycling/articles/cp0896y82j0o), I’m wondering how it’s going to work out at the Olympics with Covid protocols all dropped and Europe in the middle of a wave similar to us. I hope those athletes have someone looking out for their health and advising them of the current risk level. I think a lot of people have no idea, and seems a recipe for disaster to have all those people traveling from all over the world and then living and training and competing in close quarters with big crowds. Maybe two weeks from now things will be doing better they are right now, but athletes would certainly be smart to be strictly masking from now on until their event begins.

Post-pandemic Paris Olympics signal a return to ‘normal’ for athletes and fans

(that headline…if only 😭)

• Like 3

1 hour ago, KSera said:

With more Tour de France riders falling ill with COVID daily (https://www.bbc.com/sport/cycling/articles/cp0896y82j0o), I’m wondering how it’s going to work out at the Olympics with Covid protocols all dropped and Europe in the middle of a wave similar to us. I hope those athletes have someone looking out for their health and advising them of the current risk level. I think a lot of people have no idea, and seems a recipe for disaster to have all those people traveling from all over the world and then living and training and competing in close quarters with big crowds. Maybe two weeks from now things will be doing better they are right now, but athletes would certainly be smart to be strictly masking from now on until their event begins.

Post-pandemic Paris Olympics signal a return to ‘normal’ for athletes and fans

(that headline…if only 😭)

From that BBC article, ""For me, I'm also not great. I've tested positive but I've just got mild symptoms and the docs are monitoring me closely and they've got their protocols when it comes to respiratory conditions." It looks like they are encouraging people to keep going despite covid - which I'd think puts them more at risk of long covid (and of course spreads covid to other athletes and staff).

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

5 minutes ago, Mom_to3 said:

From that BBC article, ""For me, I'm also not great. I've tested positive but I've just got mild symptoms and the docs are monitoring me closely and they've got their protocols when it comes to respiratory conditions." It looks like they are encouraging people to keep going despite covid - which I'd think puts them more at risk of long covid (and of course spreads covid to other athletes and staff).

Totally on both counts. I know there was another rider who was known to be racing while positive a few days ago, but then had to drop out. The peloton has its own air dynamics and does not really count as a completely open air environment. One of the guys who dropped is competing in the Olympics at the end of the month. Or intending to. It’s inevitable there are going to be some athletes experiencing the long tail effects of this thing. 

• Like 2

Thoughts on this? 

"Scientists also discovered that regardless of the variant, long COVID cases were more likely to occur after a first infection compared to a reinfection."

https://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/news/2024/study-suggests-reinfections-virus-causes-covid-19-likely-have-similar-severity-original

Link to study cited

"Existing work suggests that reinfection can increase the risk of post-acute sequelae in the pulmonary and broad array of extrapulmonary organ systems24,25. Additional knowledge about the relationship between reinfections and Long COVID could help inform interested parties who may be concerned that reinfections could contribute to the incidence of Long COVID."

clear as mud.

Edited by popmom
figured out the reinfection definition

48 minutes ago, popmom said:

clear as mud.

I gave up. It’s long, and it does sound like it all contradicts itself—reinfected people seem to be both older and younger, lol! At that point though, I might have already been skimming.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, popmom said:

clear as mud.

Indeed!

There seems to be a growing body of evidence (both research-based and anecdotal) that the damage from Covid infections is cumulative (aligning with the second passage you quoted; I haven't seen any credible evidence to support the first one):

"The data from Statistics Canada suggests the incidence of Long Covid rises with each reinfection, going from around 14% in people who’ve had one infection to more than 37% in people who’ve had three4. One can argue about sample sizes, data collection and other methodological issues, but the upwards trend should give people pause, especially people who’ve been arguing that Long Covid doesn’t represent a serious ongoing risk to the population." (From The John Snow Project)

And lots stories about people getting hit with long Covid (or post-Covid conditions several months after presumed recovery) following their second, third...sixth, seventh..whatever number infection, even if they had an easy time of it previously.

• Like 3

Hi all! I have a few more questions if any one has some thoughts or recommendations.

I started feeling sick Tuesday evening, spent Wed and Thurs in bed (miserable) with the aches and chills. Never had a fever and pulse ox was always good. Yesterday, the only meds I took were some red Sudafed to keep my nose open and I didn't even take those last night. So my current symptoms are a little nose congestion some times and a cough (sometimes productive), but I'm not coughing a lot. My sense of smell is mostly gone too and my test is still positive as of yesterday.

I have been in my office 24/7 except for the bathroom since Wed. The rest of my family is fine. When is it safe to come out -- LOL??? I would mask and everything and still spend a lot of time up here. I am the most cautious person in my family when sick so I would be as careful as possible.

My even bigger question is I need to have my dad's apartment cleared out by the 31st 😢. We would have been in good shape if I hadn't gotten Covid as we have already done a good bit. I am going to call the leasing office first thing to see if we can extend another month given the circumstances (maybe they would like a definite next month's rent 🤞). If not, I'm going to have to go over and help my DH and boys get his stuff packed and out. I'm concerned about doing too much too soon and relapsing, but I might not have a choice here. What would you do? I would be prioritizing any energy to dealing with his apartment, resting a lot, and letting most everything else go until the 31st. I actually feel pretty good and feel fortunate that it hasn't been worse than it was. I guess my vaccines/boosters helped with that.

• Sad 2

1 hour ago, mlktwins said:

I have been in my office 24/7 except for the bathroom since Wed. The rest of my family is fine. When is it safe to come out -- LOL??? I would mask and everything and still spend a lot of time up here. I am the most cautious person in my family when sick so I would be as careful as possible.

As long as a rapid test is still positive, you’re likely contagious. Darkness of line does seem to correlate with how infectious. So, in order to keep everyone else healthy (not the least of which would be so you have people to help with the apartment clearing), I wouldn’t personally spend time indoors with them until your test is negative. If you have good masks and an outdoor seating area, that would be a good way to visit and get out of your office. A recent study found a duckbill N95 to do the best job of blocking particles from the wearer (outward transmission). It was over 99% iirc. So maybe with the house well ventilated and you in a duckbill, you could spend time in the house without posing significant risk. 

For the apartment clean out, can you do primarily tasks where you sit in one place and sort and delegate the more physical tasks?

Im glad to hear you are starting to feel better. I hope your test will be negative soon! (But try not to be frustrated if it takes awhile—it’s still common for it to take 10-12 days for a lot of people). 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, popmom said:

Thoughts on this? 

"Scientists also discovered that regardless of the variant, long COVID cases were more likely to occur after a first infection compared to a reinfection."

https://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/news/2024/study-suggests-reinfections-virus-causes-covid-19-likely-have-similar-severity-original

Link to study cited

"Existing work suggests that reinfection can increase the risk of post-acute sequelae in the pulmonary and broad array of extrapulmonary organ systems24,25. Additional knowledge about the relationship between reinfections and Long COVID could help inform interested parties who may be concerned that reinfections could contribute to the incidence of Long COVID."

clear as mud.

Yeah, I don’t love this study, starting with the inclusion criteria.  It only included people who had seen their doctor at least two times in the year before getting covid. And then reinfections were only people that had a verified PCR or antigen test (no home tests). They acknowledge that would have excluded a lot of reinfections since as time went by, an official test was less and less common for people. A reinfection rate of less than 7% is clearly such an enormous undercount as to be meaningless imo. 

The last part of the study does go into all the cofounders and limitations of the study, of which there were many. 

The long covid part is confusing in multiple ways. First is the obvious issue that only that tiny portion that had a documented test were eligible to be counted as having long covid after reinfection. Second, they only counted long covid diagnoses after the first reinfection, not for subsequent reinfections (which they didn’t record many of anyway due to their inclusion requirement). 

I think the confusing part is saying at the beginning that long covid is less common after reinfectjons, and then later that it’s more common:

The largest proportion of Long COVID diagnoses occur among individuals with a first reinfection in the Delta epoch. The rate of Long COVID diagnoses has been increasing with each successive Omicron variant, which is particularly notable as there has been less follow-up time for variants such as Omicron BQ.XBB.

I think the bottom line still remains the same as past studies: each infection adds cumulative risk, so even if the per infection risk turns out to be highest for the first infection, the more infections someone has the greater the chance they will have long covid. 

eta: oh, I finally see now why the conflicting long covid statements. The initial infection vs reinfection part is only for infections in the same “epoch” which they define in the paper. It’s essentially reinfections that happened in a short time from initial infection such that they were in the same variant family. So it doesn’t apply to someone who had, say, a Delta infection and then an Omicron infection. So when someone has two infections in a short time period (most of the epochs seem to be around 4-6 months), the first one is more likely to result in a long Covid diagnosis than the second. That distinction has been left out of any reporting I have read on this study. 

Edited by KSera
  • Thanks 3

22 hours ago, KSera said:

With more Tour de France riders falling ill with COVID daily (https://www.bbc.com/sport/cycling/articles/cp0896y82j0o)

They are implementing mask requirements now. 
Tour de France reintroduces mask mandate amid COVID-19 concerns

Surely this must be spooking *someone* in charge of the Olympics? I expect we see some athletes taking matters in their own hands and protecting themselves with masks. 

• Like 4

32 minutes ago, KSera said:

So when someone has two infections in a short time period (most of the epochs seem to be around 4-6 months), the first one is more likely to result in a long Covid diagnosis than the second.

So in those cases, the first infection seems to be having the same protective effect as having been vaccinated against the currently circulating variant shortly before being infected; that would make sense, since we know vaccination reduces the chances of long covid. But the vast majority of reinfections are NOT happening within a short period of time and with the same variant, so these "findings" are really not applicable to most cases. 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, mlktwins said:

I think if you have extra filtration, and you need to pop into the kitchen here and there or something like that while masked well, it’s probably fine. I think masked and outside is also fine.

I have no insight into the apartment situation—I’m so sorry that’s all happening at once. Any chance your kids have strapping friends that would help in exchange for a pizza party at the end?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, kbutton said:

I think if you have extra filtration, and you need to pop into the kitchen here and there or something like that while masked well, it’s probably fine. I think masked and outside is also fine.

I have no insight into the apartment situation—I’m so sorry that’s all happening at once. Any chance your kids have strapping friends that would help in exchange for a pizza party at the end?

I just looked at current CDC guidelines. Boy, they have changed!

As for my dad's apartment, it isn't just heavy stuff. It is all the stuff to go through, box up, throw out. Stuff I really should be doing since it is my dad and mine and my sister's stuff now. Thank goodness there isn't a ton over there since we minimalized when I moved him in. The plan was to list certain furniture for free on my local buy nothing group and have them bring people to do the moving of it. We've distributed his leftover diapers and unused medical supplies already. The rest my boys and DH can handle. I've got his cabinets cleaned out, but they need to be wiped down/cleaned and all that stuff. My DH will do that, but it just really sucks - the timing. I'm praying the leasing office will let me extend another month. We also have my boys to get back to school the 2nd and 3rd week of August. Still need to get ready for that although I washed and packed a lot of it bedding and stuff so that ready to go. Such horrible timing of this stupid virus. I would have had time in September -- LOL.

• Sad 6

Hi all. It's me again - so sorry!!!

So the leasing office at my dad's apartment has taken pity on me. We can have a long as we want so am going for the end of August. That is a huge relief!

However, I was feeling better Friday through Sunday (just some nose and mild cough issues), but yesterday started feeling bad again. May have a low grade fever. Pulse ox still good. I am still in my office away from everyone and not over doing anything! I have been in here since last Wednesday. Should I see a doctor or wait this out? Is it normal? I'm a big whiny butt when I have a fever or have the aches and chills like I have a fever -- LOL. I just don't want this to get worse.

• Sad 6

So glad you don’t have to stress about your dad’s apartment now.

I’m sorry you started feeling worse again. With your pulse ox good, that seems like a not uncommon pattern. I know for some people that happens because pneumonia has set in, but it also is sometimes just the pattern with this illness. Can you take your temperature?

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, KSera said:

So glad you don’t have to stress about your dad’s apartment now.

I’m sorry you started feeling worse again. With your pulse ox good, that seems like a not uncommon pattern. I know for some people that happens because pneumonia has set in, but it also is sometimes just the pattern with this illness. Can you take your temperature?

Thank you! I have a digital one I hold to my forehead. It has been running in the 97's which is the norm with that thermometer. It has gotten to 98.0 or a little higher. I would bet I have a very low grade fever. I was able to get a telemed appt with my GP for today - hadn't even thought about that. I have medical anxiety so am just a tad freaked out -- LOL.

• Sad 3

8 minutes ago, mlktwins said:

Thank you! I have a digital one I hold to my forehead. It has been running in the 97's which is the norm with that thermometer. It has gotten to 98.0 or a little higher. I would bet I have a very low grade fever. I was able to get a telemed appt with my GP for today - hadn't even thought about that. I have medical anxiety so am just a tad freaked out -- LOL.

I think if you have any pulse ox readings below 95, symptoms of shortness of breath, lightheadedness, or weird breathing (crackles, wheezing, anything weird at all) you should go in. Viral fevers tend to occur more in the later part of the day and evening and resolve. If you have one constantly, that would concern me a little. Those are our family’s clues at what we’re comfortable dealing with at home without data or someone taking a look and listen.

• Like 1

Hi all! I just want to thank you for your feedback this past week!!!

I am still alive -- LOL. I did a telemed visit and started an antibiotic on Tuesday evening. Feeling much better now. I'm still hanging in my office to chill (without a mask), but am venturing out in my house masked. Nothing like being out of a commission for a week to make DH and boys realize all the little things I do around here to keep it all going -- LOL! My DH is especially happy I'm getting back in the game 😁. It has been over 2 years since I've been super sick and I feel VERY appreciated at the moment -- LOL!!!

• Like 11

19 minutes ago, mlktwins said:

Hi all! I just want to thank you for your feedback this past week!!!

I am still alive -- LOL. I did a telemed visit and started an antibiotic on Tuesday evening. Feeling much better now. I'm still hanging in my office to chill (without a mask), but am venturing out in my house masked. Nothing like being out of a commission for a week to make DH and boys realize all the little things I do around here to keep it all going -- LOL! My DH is especially happy I'm getting back in the game 😁. It has been over 2 years since I've been super sick and I feel VERY appreciated at the moment -- LOL!!!

Glad you are feeling better.  Curious did you have another infection or something that you put you on antibiotics for?  Or was it just for Covid?  Did they give you Paxlovid?

Just saw Biden has Covid for the 3rd time.  Press caught him unmasked after testing positive around others.  

12 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

Glad you are feeling better.  Curious did you have another infection or something that you put you on antibiotics for?  Or was it just for Covid?  Did they give you Paxlovid?

Just saw Biden has Covid for the 3rd time.  Press caught him unmasked after testing positive around others.  

No. Dr. (my GP) said it was too late for Paxlovid as I'd had it a week already. Since I was getting better and then not feeling so great again, she treated me for a secondary/bacterial infection. Since I haven't been sick in a while, and hadn't had antibiotics in over 2 years, she prescribed based on our telemed visit. I wanted the antibiotics so that was ok with me. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, mommyoffive said:

Unfortunate that she misstated CDC guidance on isolation, considering how many people take her advice as gospel. (She said fever gone OR symptoms resolving rather than AND). At least she did go on to say that best practice would be to wait until you test negative.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

Interesting breakdown of the paxlovid for prevention study. I agree with his conclusion it’s worth repeating with bigger numbers. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, prairiewindmomma said:

Fwiw, Oregon tends to have a summer spike (third summer in a row) and the timing seems to always be to when we see the first big influxes of summer tourists….they hit before school gets out locally. They bring in new variants with them that mix wildly locally. 

I think I read too that a reason you guys are having a bigger wave is that your winter wave wasn't as bad.

https%3A%2F%2Fsubstack-post-media.s3.amazonaws.com%2Fpublic%2Fimages%2Fc3d4c2ce-f3b7-46c1-bf12-560c16d541bb_1584x654.png

1. Waning immunity. ~20-30% of the U.S. population was infected with Covid-19 this past winter, which means the virus has plenty of pathways to find due to low immunity. Among states with mild Covid-19 winters, like Hawaii and Oregon, summer waves are very high.

https://yourlocalepidemiologist.substack.com/p/a-summer-covid-19-wave?utm_source=post-email-title&publication_id=281219&post_id=146690728&utm_campaign=email-post-title&isFreemail=true&r=q2z70&triedRedirect=true&utm_medium=email

Edited by mommyoffive
  • Like 1

Part of the reason we have milder winter waves is that in certain areas we still have reasonable booster vax uptake. Additionally our schools and facilities have better ventilation.

When I go to the store, I still see other locals masking. When we go to doctors or the orthodontist, people are still running air scrubbers. Healthcare workers still mask in facility. Sick people largely stay home. 

There are real behavioral differences here—it’s why our worse outbreaks have always been in very red/nonvax areas.

I’m not sure why this isnt pointed out, but it’s true. Our smaller winter peak tends to be tied to holiday travel as well, or just after when schools begin agains.

• Like 7

Just now, prairiewindmomma said:

Part of the reason we have milder winter waves is that in certain areas we still have reasonable booster vax uptake. Additionally our schools and facilities have better ventilation.

When I go to the store, I still see other locals masking. When we go to doctors or the orthodontist, people are still running air scrubbers. Healthcare workers still mask in facility. Sick people largely stay home. 

There are real behavioral differences here—it’s why our worse outbreaks have always been in very red/nonvax areas.

I’m not sure why this isnt pointed out, but it’s true. Our smaller winter peak tends to be tied to holiday travel as well, or just after when schools begin agains.

Very interesting.  I mean not in that it doesn't make sense, it makes total sense.  Did people in your area take the pandemic serious in the start?  I would love to live in an area where common sense was what the majority were doing.   Instead when we went to the doctor's visits we were the only ones masking.  None of the staff were and always made comments to us about it.  We weren't sick, but I figure there are sick people coming in and I don't want to pick something up.

• Like 2

Yes, we were part of the west coast pact. WA, OR and CA shut down public schools for a year and opened back up with mandatory masking, social distancing and limited group activities. This past year (2023-2024) was our first year of mostly normal activities. My kids still mask at school—it’s become less common but they arent the only ones still masking.

My neighborhood is full of engineers and scientists. When covid first hit, parents who understood airflow and ventilation were speaking about air exchanges in buildings, and holding school boards accountable for change. Our schools provided masks if you didnt bring your own, locked down buildings, and watched you hand sanitize to get in the building. We had mandatory masking for a full year after reopening.

• Like 5

Adding—we also had 10 day school exclusion and notification. When dd caught covid, she had to list all of her lunchtime seatmates and their parents were notified. The kids were provided tests to take home.

Dd caught covid from a lunch companion, we think. It was the only time she was unmasked, and her whole friend group came down with it.

• Like 2

I hate artlicles like this. https://www.statnews.com/2024/07/18/latest-covid-spike-update-new-variants-fewer-novids/

"If I had to guess, I would say that this group of individuals who have never had Covid is going to continue to shrink over time."

Yes, of course...it's a vacuous statement. Nothing new or interesting in the article, and their report on the CDC guidance upon infection is wrong (they mention the 5 days isolation from start of symptoms). I used to look up to statnews.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Mom_to3 said:

I hate artlicles like this. https://www.statnews.com/2024/07/18/latest-covid-spike-update-new-variants-fewer-novids/

"If I had to guess, I would say that this group of individuals who have never had Covid is going to continue to shrink over time."

Yes, of course...it's a vacuous statement. Nothing new or interesting in the article, and their report on the CDC guidance upon infection is wrong (they mention the 5 days isolation from start of symptoms). I used to look up to statnews.

I hated several things about that article. When are they going to realize that while the acute infection risk is a concern that needs to be mentioned for those people that remain at high risk from an acute infection, it’s the long-term effects that are an issue for everyone? The focus on the hospitalization and death graphs having gotten lower is a constant diversion from the significant long Covid risk to each person after each infection and all the other post Covid health impacts that don’t get counted under long Covid but are happening to people nonetheless (heart attacks, strokes, increases in cancer increases in diabetes, cognitive slowing etc. etc.). 

Total minimization in that article. The whole “just like other respiratory viruses” when it is very much not like other respiratory viruses. 

• Like 7

10 hours ago, KSera said:

I hated several things about that article. When are they going to realize that while the acute infection risk is a concern that needs to be mentioned for those people that remain at high risk from an acute infection, it’s the long-term effects that are an issue for everyone? The focus on the hospitalization and death graphs having gotten lower is a constant diversion from the significant long Covid risk to each person after each infection and all the other post Covid health impacts that don’t get counted under long Covid but are happening to people nonetheless (heart attacks, strokes, increases in cancer increases in diabetes, cognitive slowing etc. etc.). 

Total minimization in that article. The whole “just like other respiratory viruses” when it is very much not like other respiratory viruses. 

I agree. It is an insidious virus.

The secondary effects are the most worrisome, imo — long Covid, the possibility of cardiovascular damage and events, dementia, cancer, damaged immune systems. We should be concentrating studies in these areas and why it is happening and we need to stop the message that it is just a respiratory infection.

In the meantime, do what you can to prevent getting infected. I had to go in to urgent care this week for a corneal abrasion and was happy to see everyone there was masking as was I. 

• Like 6

16 hours ago, KSera said:

Yes!! Of course, if they were to acknowledge that long covid is a concern, it would destroy their entire narrative of the new normal, nothing to be worried about. Did you see Ashish Jha's latest tweet upon Biden's diagnosis? 

No worries, all normal, no surprise, nothing to be seen. When the reality is very different (interruption of important campaign events, the potential for further decline from long covid in an already fragile president hoping for reelection). Covid is interrupting lives - sometimes in the short term, and sometimes in the long term for so many famous (President, athletes,...) and not so famous people. I hate this.

• Like 1
  • Sad 5

26 minutes ago, Mom_to3 said:

Yes!! Of course, if they were to acknowledge that long covid is a concern, it would destroy their entire narrative of the new normal, nothing to be worried about. Did you see Ashish Jha's latest tweet upon Biden's diagnosis? 

No worries, all normal, no surprise, nothing to be seen. When the reality is very different (interruption of important campaign events, the potential for further decline from long covid in an already fragile president hoping for reelection). Covid is interrupting lives - sometimes in the short term, and sometimes in the long term for so many famous (President, athletes,...) and not so famous people. I hate this.

Jha has been just terrible ever since initially switched to working at the White House. So many things wrong with that tweet. The one thing that’s right is that, yes, “this is no surprise.” But no, paxlovid isn’t available to all Americans, nor does it appear to be particularly helpful for most, people not in Biden’s age group or with specific health conditions have not been eligible for a second booster this spring as he has been. And let’s not even get started about the increased dementia risk and other cognitive decline after each infection. Or to think how many people Biden has in turn infected and the complications some of them may face. It’s statistically incredibly unlikely that with as many people as he’s interacted with, that one or more will not have long-term, if not permanent, consequences from this Covid infection.

• Like 6
  • Sad 1