Menu

Help with Christmas Gifts

Dianthus

Last year, there was a husband gift idea thread where I found the perfect gift. I filed it in my mind for his bday, and I lost the file. I also can't seem to find that old thread. Would someone be able to please point me to it?

Edited by Spirea
Title change
  • Like 2

Thank you. I recognize some stories in those posts, like the green egg in neighbors garage, but can't find the post that I can't remember🤷‍♀️. Maybe it was deleted.

Maybe someone could chime in with an excellent gift idea for the guy who has everything. He typically gets nuts, coffee, or something else small. We don't drink. A couple yrs ago I had a large framed print done of one of his favorite places and some photo mugs of his favorite places. That went over really well.  He was so stunned when he opened it and I'd love to get him something he loved again. He doesn't do organized sports but is an active, outdoors guy. If he wants anything, he buys it, which makes gift giving difficult.

Also, I'm looking for 12 yr old girl gift ideas.  So far she has a nice Narnia collector set, Lego Bonsai tree, Lego Pooh set (super cute) and I think I'll get some nice art supplies. She likes sewing and crafts and jewelry making and is still young, not a trendy tween, though she did just pack away all her AG dolls and similar . She doesn't play with legos but displays some and collects figures. She loves to read.  I feel like she needs a more special gift. My kids are getting shared gifts of a zipline and a SNES mini, but I don't expect her to be much interested in the game because we got a mini Sega last year and she never plays it.

And while I'm at it, since my other post has no replies, I need a nice book recommendation for my 7 yr old (bday last week) strong reader. I always get a hardback or special set of books for each child, and I avoid twaddle. I am running out of ideas for what to get him because we have so many books. I was considering one of these  personalized books, but I want the character to have glasses like him and these don' t, so I'm not sure. He likes to read and I'd like something that seems more than just a picture book, but a chapter book that's too wordy without illustrations will lose his interest.

• Dianthus changed the title to Help with Christmas Gifts
On 11/13/2021 at 9:11 AM, Spirea said:

Thank you. I recognize some stories in those posts, like the green egg in neighbors garage, but can't find the post that I can't remember🤷‍♀️. Maybe it was deleted.

Maybe someone could chime in with an excellent gift idea for the guy who has everything. He typically gets nuts, coffee, or something else small. We don't drink. A couple yrs ago I had a large framed print done of one of his favorite places and some photo mugs of his favorite places. That went over really well.  He was so stunned when he opened it and I'd love to get him something he loved again. He doesn't do organized sports but is an active, outdoors guy. If he wants anything, he buys it, which makes gift giving difficult.

Also, I'm looking for 12 yr old girl gift ideas.  So far she has a nice Narnia collector set, Lego Bonsai tree, Lego Pooh set (super cute) and I think I'll get some nice art supplies. She likes sewing and crafts and jewelry making and is still young, not a trendy tween, though she did just pack away all her AG dolls and similar . She doesn't play with legos but displays some and collects figures. She loves to read.  I feel like she needs a more special gift. My kids are getting shared gifts of a zipline and a SNES mini, but I don't expect her to be much interested in the game because we got a mini Sega last year and she never plays it.

And while I'm at it, since my other post has no replies, I need a nice book recommendation for my 7 yr old (bday last week) strong reader. I always get a hardback or special set of books for each child, and I avoid twaddle. I am running out of ideas for what to get him because we have so many books. I was considering one of these  personalized books, but I want the character to have glasses like him and these don' t, so I'm not sure. He likes to read and I'd like something that seems more than just a picture book, but a chapter book that's too wordy without illustrations will lose his interest.

Is any of his outdoor gear getting worn? Does he need new hiking boots or something like that? GPS watch? A solar-powered phone charger backpack thing? Or justa nice new sweater that can work both in and out? You mention coffee, does he have a coffee thing for when he's outdoors -- either a Yeti-like heat mug or a pour over maker for camping?

12yo DD is getting a Kindle this year (we do theme years, so technically each kid is getting a kindle, but she's the one we are really doing this for). 

I can't think of a book series that would really fit. Horrible Histories, and the math-based series, was a big hit last year with my kids, but it might count as twaddle, lol. 

eta: does your DH love his car? Not necessarily in the mechanical sense, but in the take care of it and clean it sense? Does he have an "essentials car kit" type of thing for emergencies or breaking the glass and gadgets like that?

Edited by Moonhawk

4 hours ago, Moonhawk said:

Is any of his outdoor gear getting worn? Does he need new hiking boots or something like that? GPS watch? A solar-powered phone charger backpack thing? Or justa nice new sweater that can work both in and out? You mention coffee, does he have a coffee thing for when he's outdoors -- either a Yeti-like heat mug or a pour over maker for camping?

12yo DD is getting a Kindle this year (we do theme years, so technically each kid is getting a kindle, but she's the one we are really doing this for). 

I can't think of a book series that would really fit. Horrible Histories, and the math-based series, was a big hit last year with my kids, but it might count as twaddle, lol. 

eta: does your DH love his car? Not necessarily in the mechanical sense, but in the take care of it and clean it sense? Does he have an "essentials car kit" type of thing for emergencies or breaking the glass and gadgets like that?

Dh has all that stuff that he wants. I usually get some of the consumable coffee, but he has the gadgets. He is always prepared and has his emergency kit. The idea I saw was some sort of thoughtful memory gift, I think,  not so much just another thing. I should have emailed it to myself. 

Dd would love a kindle or tablet of her own, but I'm very screen adverse. I think it's too isolating and bad for eyes, etc. I was just thinking of enrolling her in sewing classes. She would enjoy that.

For ds 7, I was thinking something like a nice copy of Winnie the Pooh or Beatrix Potter, except we have them already. I'm just too tired to think, but I've had a brilliant idea to ask my librarian this week.

• Like 1

@Spirea for your 12dd, one gift I got one of mine was some assorted fat quarters of fabric and a book with AG doll clothes accessories/patterns. It is called "Sew in Style, make your own doll clothes". I also was able to snag a sewing machine fairly cheap on shop Goodwill.com I found it at our local store that sells so I didn't have to pay shipping. 

Actual kindles are not screens and are nice to read on. Woot.com sells returns reasonably from time to time.

Edited by LifeLovePassion

@Spirea, you might look at the My Father's Dragon books for your 7-yr.-old. https://www.amazon.com/My-Fathers-Dragon-Value-Pack/ I'm not seeing them in hardback for nice volumes though. I loved these books. Also, if you don't have James Herriot's Treasury for Children https://www.amazon.com/James-Herriots-Treasury-Children-Creatures/ , it's so good! My children loved it, and now my grandchildren are enjoying it. 

This year I'm giving Dh a robe from Lands End w/ his name embroidered on. He loves them and hasn't had a new one in a while. This is the exact robe. Use Lands End if you want customization, but they're also on Amazon if you don't plan on customizing. I always have it say "dad." 😊

Also, what about an awesome book? If he's at all into WW!! this book on Churchill is a serious page turner. I read it and loved it and I'm not that into WWII.

If he's into baseball: I've only heard amazing reviews about this one: The Baseball 100. I'm getting it for my dad. I trust the people who reviewed the book. It just came out.

I have other books he may really like on my book list here.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Alicia64 said:

This year I'm giving Dh a robe from Lands End w/ his name embroidered on. He loves them and hasn't had a new one in a while. This is the exact robe. Use Lands End if you want customization, but they're also on Amazon if you don't plan on customizing. I always have it say "dad." 😊

Also, what about an awesome book? If he's at all into WW!! this book on Churchill is a serious page turner. I read it and loved it and I'm not that into WWII.

If he's into baseball: I've only heard amazing reviews about this one: The Baseball 100. I'm getting it for my dad. I trust the people who reviewed the book. It just came out.

I have other books he may really like on my book list here.

For books, he likes survivor stories or adventure type, or maybe history.  I've gotten him so many and they all seem the same to me. He quite likes Shackleton story and enjoyed The Emerald Mile that he got for bday or Father's Day this year. But, I feel done with buying him books. 

• Like 1