Menu

What are you an expert in?

GracieJane

If we’re going by the Jeopardy category definition, my list is:

alternative forms of education, including early childhood music and religious curriculum 

dyslexia

sensory integration in toddlers 

astronomy

intelligence in corvids and cephalopods 

the Mongol Empire 

the Bible 

children’s and young adult literature 

20th century poetry 

I have rigorously trained myself NOT to talk for hours about these things.  I’m a font of trivia but it’s specialized enough that I’m not awesome at trivia games

• Like 4

On 11/6/2021 at 10:52 AM, WildflowerMom said:

Frasier Crane 

that’s the extent of my expertise.  🤷🏻‍♀️

Yep.  Me too. Every word. Every episode. Every character. It's been my loop show for years and years. Even my kids are fairly expert in it now since they have seen so much of it. They often hear me relate life to an episode. Lol!

• Like 2

13 hours ago, KSera said:

I don’t mean that in some big, principled way, just that it feels awkward like that. Like it would be weird or a statement that I thought they weren’t capable. When I was working retail, I always did the bagging when I cashiered, so to me, that’s part of the job. I never had a customer start doing it themself. I’m sure it varies by area. It might be that cashiers would really appreciate it. I was just saying it feels too awkward to me to jump over and start doing it. 

It's just common sense that the line will move faster if one person scans and another person bags. They might be just as capable, but one person is not as fast as two.

47 minutes ago, aggie96 said:

Yep.  Me too. Every word. Every episode. Every character. It's been my loop show for years and years. Even my kids are fairly expert in it now since they have seen so much of it. They often hear me relate life to an episode. Lol!

Do you need a BFF?   I think we're soul sisters.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jenny in Florida said:

Oh, I didn't think of Word wrangling when I answered. I'm old and have been using Word for . . . well, forever, from long before I had a mouse and WYSIWYG displays on the monitor. I am frequently surprised at how the younger people I work with -- who are presumed to be more technologically capable because of their "digital native" status -- just don't know how to make Word bend to their will in the same way.

I haven't seen WYSIWYG acronym in forever!

I think that the digital native generation are very good as using the tech, but don't tend to know how it works - it's all a bit of a black box.  Where as older folks who learned in the early days of computers had no choice but to know the nuts and bolts of how the programs work, because back then that was the only way to use them.  

"Our Own Devices" is an interesting book that touches on this: how technology co-evolves with technique.

• Like 4

On 11/6/2021 at 2:38 PM, TheReader said:

Oh, gosh yes on the bagging. I choose my line at the grocery store based on the grocery bagger who's working that lane. 

If I could get over everything else about Aldi's, I'd love to shop there so I can bag my own. alas, I cannot, so I am stuck watching untrained baggers do a terrible job. The worst is when they are bad, *and* slow. Oof. 

Oh heck yes. I haven't encountered a bagger who could pack a bag as well as I do. That's why I use the self checkout if I don't shop at Aldi.
I want heavy items on the bottom, like items grouped together, and space/#of bags minimized in my heavy duty shopping totes. I don't want a gazillion plastic bags that each hold three items.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, KSera said:

I don’t mean that in some big, principled way, just that it feels awkward like that. Like it would be weird or a statement that I thought they weren’t capable. 

In my experience, they usually aren't. At least not in what I consider a sensible efficient way.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

On 11/5/2021 at 9:34 PM, GracieJane said:

I wonder if your ability to bag well and envision space layouts is actually related! I‘ve noticed people who can pack trunks really well are also very good at parallel parking.

You don't actually need to be good at envisioning space to parallel park - once you have been taught the "formula" and practiced, it becomes automatic, like muscle memory

24 minutes ago, regentrude said:

You don't actually need to be good at envisioning space to parallel park - once you have been taught the "formula" and practiced, it becomes automatic, like muscle memory

Interesting; I was taught the formula „pull up half-way next to the car in front, reverse into the space at a sharp turn and then straighten out“, but as I lack entirely the ability to estimate the distance between my car and the one behind it, it is of little use to me. 🙂 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GracieJane said:

Interesting; I was taught the formula „pull up half-way next to the car in front, reverse into the space at a sharp turn and then straighten out“, but as I lack entirely the ability to estimate the distance between my car and the one behind it, it is of little use to me. 🙂 

Yeah, I can quote the formula forwards and backwards, but I have no clue where my car is in space.  Even regular parking and reversing is an act of sheer faith.  I have never been in an accident because I allow WAY more space than I think is needed.  A zillion people have tried to teach me to parallel park, but I just *can’t* do it.