Menu

Being a responsible adult is hard vent, plus dog surgery question

Loowit

I hate being a responsible adult sometimes.  We had to cancel our trip because our dog broke his tooth and needs an extraction.  It is really expensive, and with all the other unexpected expenses, mostly medical, we decided it would be best to stay home.  I cancelled our reservations this evening.  I am feeling really down about it.  This is a dream trip for me; one I have been wanting to do for years.  I love my dog, he is the sweetest boy, but this really is a major disappointment.  I know this is a first world problem, but I just really wanted to get away for a while and relax.  Technically we could have still done the trip, but it would have left us in a tight spot if any more unexpected stuff comes up.

So, my question: the pre-surgery blood work is optional and I am wondering if it is worth the extra expense.  We had it done when he got fixed at 6 months old, and everything was fine.  He is now three years old and a very healthy dog.  Should I get him the blood work?  Would you if it were your pet?

And of course adding a picture of the "troublemaker"

DSC05347.JPG

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

47 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

I have no advice on the bloodwork question.  I just wanted to say I am sorry about the vacation that had to be cancelled.  I hope you don't lose a bunch of money and can go again some other time.

We didn't lose too much money, fortunately.  DH and I are talking about trying to go next year instead.  DH will still have the week off though, so we may be able to do a few inexpensive things near home.

• Like 2

I'm so sorry you had to cancel your trip!

But your doggo really is a beauty.

I always have pre-anesthesia blood work done when my pets need surgery. But if your budget is strained I don't think it's wrong or particularly risky to skip it. My guess is that with a young dog w/o known health issues the risk of anything being off enough to cause a problem is tiny. The rescues I've worked with over the years have never had it done for younger foster dogs who didn't have known issues, and I don't recall there ever being a problem. Now with an older dog--yeah, I'd say it's a must.

• Like 1

So, I might ask my vet how long they think he was going to be under. If it is a molar the extraction can take a while, and I'd rather get the labwork done. I've seen seemingly healthy dogs come back with liver issues that effected their ability to withstand anesthesia. That said, it only happened maybe twice in 20 years. But when you hear of pets not making it through anesthesia, usually it was some kind of liver issue. More often we found a clotting problem or anemia or something that made an actual open surgery not wise from a bleeding perspective. With the tooth extraction that's way less of a consideration. 

So, if you can swing it without a ton of strain, I'd do the bloodwork. If you really need to cut something, yes, I'd feel okay cutting it out. There have been times when I absolutely would have had to skip the labwork. And it isn't like you can skip the procedure - he needs it done either way. And at 2 yrs old, he's likely to have no issue. Years ago, when I was first working, we wouldn't have even suggested the labwork for a dog his age. But again, when you know better, you do better, and we did find some congenital liver shunts, some dogs with clotting problems, dogs with an autoimmune anemai triggered by a vaccine, etc by doing that labwork on young dogs. 

so I guess I can't say if you should skip it or not, but maybe the extra info helps make a decision?

• Like 1

Also, poor puppy! One of my weimaraners years ago fractured a molar. I thought she was just slowing down, not a puppy anymore, and that's why she wasn't playing as much. Turns out it was the fractured tooth hurting her! She got it removed and went back to being like a puppy again! I think she was about the same age as your dog. 

Slab fractures are why I do NOT recommend those hard white sterilized bones that are sold at stores, nor the super hard versions of nylabones (she had a Galileo nylabone that caused the fracture). Never give a dog something harder than their own teeth...lesson learned! (other common fracture is from chewing on the bars of a kennel)

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, ktgrok said:

Slab fractures are why I do NOT recommend those hard white sterilized bones that are sold at stores, nor the super hard versions of nylabones (she had a Galileo nylabone that caused the fracture). Never give a dog something harder than their own teeth...lesson learned! (other common fracture is from chewing on the bars of a kennel)

I gave our 3 dogs these Nylabones. Are they too tough? How do you know if the chew toys are harder than the teeth? I don't want to hurt their teeth!

5 minutes ago, wilrunner said:

I gave our 3 dogs these Nylabones. Are they too tough? How do you know if the chew toys are harder than the teeth? I don't want to hurt their teeth!

Our vets say that if you dig your fingernail into the bone/chew/antler/whatever and you’re not able to make an impression in it, it is too hard for your dog to chew.

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, wilrunner said:

I think those are probably okay. I had to research quick, they changed the names of everything since I bought them! Those are what were the standard chew back in the day. Those my weim (strongest drive dog I've met other than a few border collies or malinois) could gnaw the ends off of in a week. A WEEK! Not bite it off, but just gnaw that long and hard. So to save money I got her something stronger, that it looks like they don't make anymore (guessing I know why, lol). They were a totally different material that was WAY harder. The one I got she had for a full year without too much wear - that's how much stronger it was than the normal ones. 

That style is likely fine, as long as the dog is gnawing like normal and not trying to bite through it. 

• Like 1

Thanks for the input on the blood work everyone.  DH is inclined to skip it, I am inclined to do it, but we have a little while to decide.

It was one of his premolars that broke.  We wouldn't have known except that DS found the piece that broke off on the floor next to him.  So far he is not showing any signs of pain and is eating and playing like normal.

A far as chew toys, I think we are going to have to change up what he is chewing on.  The hard thing is that he is a chewer, and destroys most chew toys quickly.  If we don't provide something for him to chew on, I fear he will start going after my furniture again like when he was a puppy.  I would love some suggestions for heavy chewers that is okay for his dental health.

Just now, Loowit said:

Thanks for the input on the blood work everyone.  DH is inclined to skip it, I am inclined to do it, but we have a little while to decide.

It was one of his premolars that broke.  We wouldn't have known except that DS found the piece that broke off on the floor next to him.  So far he is not showing any signs of pain and is eating and playing like normal.

A far as chew toys, I think we are going to have to change up what he is chewing on.  The hard thing is that he is a chewer, and destroys most chew toys quickly.  If we don't provide something for him to chew on, I fear he will start going after my furniture again like when he was a puppy.  I would love some suggestions for heavy chewers that is okay for his dental health.

safest thing are the kongs with food/treats in them

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, ktgrok said:

safest thing are the kongs with food/treats in them

He has one, but will only chew on it if there is a treat inside, and even then he mostly picks it up and tosses it on the floor to get the treat out.  🤣

1 minute ago, Loowit said:

He has one, but will only chew on it if there is a treat inside, and even then he mostly picks it up and tosses it on the floor to get the treat out.  🤣

right, but that keeps him occupied and not chewing furniture, lol. You can put stuff in there and freeze it to make it last longer. Canned dog food, a bit of peanut butter, etc. You can look up "recipes" even. 

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Loowit said:

My dogs aren't that crazy about Kongs, but I have found a few other brands of tough chew toys that they like and aren't able to shred: Goughnuts, Feeko, Orka, and MonsterK9. 

• Like 2