Menu

Well-trained bodies - October

Laura Corin

After walking the trail segment yesterday morning, I took my son out vehicle shopping (terrible time, but his car is in its death throes) and walked all over a couple of car lots, therefore meeting my step goal for the day shortly after lunchtime. Even so, I felt restless and walked again with the dog in the evening.

Did my usual just over 3K this morning followed by about 30 minutes of strength and stretching. My right arm/shoulder is still a bit iffy, so I haven't been able to move back to the 5-pound weights yet. It's frustrating, because I was getting ready to transition to 8 pounds just before I strained the arm. It was better on Friday, but I had to drop back to 2 pounds for a couple of things this morning.

Fall Frenzy Challenge Update: 252.9 of 500K
Daily Walking Streak: 233 Days
South Lake/Lake Apopka Trail: 3 of 25.5 miles 

• Like 4

19 hours ago, Ali in OR said:

Treadmill this morning but only 23 minutes because I was hoping the tech problems that hit our school district over the weekend would be fixed and I could do a few things, but sadly no.

Today is the first day my weight is down to the "normal" range from "overweight". That was an October goal. Now let's see if I can keep it there.

ya Congrats!!!

• Like 1

My eating was not great yesterday. And I tried to nap in the afternoon but by the time we finished school it was time for the big kids to get home. After they left(football game/skate park) I finally had a minute when I could have taken a walk but by then I didn't have the energy.

Today I woke up at 3. UGH. I'm guessing this is hormone stuff with my impending period. My mood is absolutely horrible too. I'm trying to tell myself it is just hormones, things won't look so bleak after but I've not convinced myself yet. Today is a rest day, I'm planning some light yoga and a walk.

My allergies have really been acting up since working outside on Sunday. 

And I only have 9 more days (today included) of VIPKID and the Korean job. We were told the last day was Nov 4/5th but that was only if they classes were already booked and I don't accept bookings that far out. I'm counting down. Tired and done.

Edited by Soror
  • Like 3

20 hours ago, Ali in OR said:

Treadmill this morning but only 23 minutes because I was hoping the tech problems that hit our school district over the weekend would be fixed and I could do a few things, but sadly no.

Today is the first day my weight is down to the "normal" range from "overweight". That was an October goal. Now let's see if I can keep it there.

Congratulations!

• Like 3

@Soror Hope you sleep better tonight! Enjoy your last few days of your VIPKID and Korean job. Does your new job have different work hours so you can sleep in?

I walked for over an hour during ds's guitar lesson yesterday evening. Most of it in the dark. It was nice to be out exercising and getting used to the colder temps and shorter days. It's always a physical and mental struggle to get 'reacquainted' with pre-winter/winter. I think only avid skiers actually look forward to winter, and the rest of us dread it. I do love skiing, but I could live without it to skip the winter. 😄 

IMG_20211018_185248673.jpg

Edited by wintermom
  • Like 5

I kind of groaned when I finished my class last night and realized that I still have 5,000 steps to go for the day. I grumbled all the way through putting on socks and shoes and coaxing the dog onto her leash and getting out the door. The weather was lovely and cool, though, and I ended up walking more than I needed to log my remaining steps.

Same thing this morning, actually. Grumbling and groaning, dragging myself out the door . . . and then walking 4K+. I followed that with  a decent set of strength and stretching exercises. 

I have a meeting outside the house this evening, so not sure when/how I will finish up steps for the day, but I plan to do so.

Fall Frenzy Challenge Update: 261.0 of 500K
Daily Walking Streak: 234 Days

• Like 3

I woke up too early, but I managed a brisk walk at lunchtime.  This evening I did my first yoga in ten days - flow plus strength with minimal external hip rotation. Fingers crossed my hip is fine in the morning - it's been good recently even after the longer hill walk last weekend.

Yesterday I ate everything in sight but today I'm back to normal.

• Like 5

16 hours ago, Laura Corin said:

I woke up too early, but I managed a brisk walk at lunchtime.  This evening I did my first yoga in ten days - flow plus strength with minimal external hip rotation. Fingers crossed my hip is fine in the morning - it's been good recently even after the longer hill walk last weekend.

Yesterday I ate everything in sight but today I'm back to normal.

Fingers crossed for your hip!

• Like 1

My period started and it was a blech day. That with the lack of sleep the last 2 days and I was utterly wiped out and did nothing.

But I fell back asleep after my 3 am bathroom run this am and didn't wake until 4 (I was in bed by 8).

I feel so much better.

Stupid peri hormones are all wonky. I got 6 pimples last week, usually I might get 1 at most. And the mood, ugh. I know menopause is no walk in the park but I'm not fond of this.

Today is supposed to be kettlebells but I'm not sure when I'll get to it. I am taking the girls to the park and then dd1 to a dr's appt. Hoping I have energy after I get home to get it in but it might not happen today.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Laura Corin said:

So far so good.  Hip feels good.

Today: walking errands at lunchtime and walking to and from the bus stop this evening, then 'Hobbes' is coming home for a few days, so no exercise this evening.

Great to hear your hip is doing well with yoga! Enjoy the visit with Hobbes. 😃

I only got in 2 short walks yesterday as I had a bad head-ache all day. I was hoping the fresh air and exercise would be soothing, but it wasn't. I tried powering through, OTC meds, and ultimately sitting in front of the TV eating comfort food was the fix. 😅

• Like 3
  • Sad 2

52 minutes ago, wintermom said:

I tried powering through, OTC meds, and ultimately sitting in front of the TV eating comfort food was the fix. 😅

I'm using the comfort food fix for oh so many things these days...

But at least I'm eating a bit less. I stay after school to work and that keeps me from eating that extra meal in the afternoon. But I do go for the sweets to relieve stress. I just shouldn't have cartons of ice cream in the house much. Ice cream sandwiches are ok--portion control. It's that temptation to eat straight out of the carton that gets me.

Dance workout this morning. My watch does not like it. It asked me every 5 minutes if it should end workout. Maybe because I told it I was doing yoga. I just try to trick it into counting my half hour of exercise as exercise, no matter what I'm doing. It can handle treadmill walks and weight lifting, but not the workout videos.

• Like 4

Got home from my meeting after 8:00 last night and hadn't eaten dinner. My husband had ordered take-out while I was gone and had stuff in the fridge for me, so I at some of that and then paced the living room to finish off the day's steps. My knees were hurting, and I was just kind of miserable, but I made it.

This morning -- no joke or exaggeration -- it took me 90 minutes to force myself out of bed. I did finally get in a decent walk (3.6K) and about 20 minutes of exercise, but it's not a great way to start the day. 

For the first time since I've started doing these walking challenges, I'm actually behind pace. At the rate I'm going, I would need to average almost 10K / day to reach my goal. So, clearly I need to step up my game, but I'm really not feeling it.

Fall Frenzy Challenge Update: 264.6 of 500K
Daily Walking Streak: 235 Days

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Jenny in Florida said:

Got home from my meeting after 8:00 last night and hadn't eaten dinner. My husband had ordered take-out while I was gone and had stuff in the fridge for me, so I at some of that and then paced the living room to finish off the day's steps. My knees were hurting, and I was just kind of miserable, but I made it.

This morning -- no joke or exaggeration -- it took me 90 minutes to force myself out of bed. I did finally get in a decent walk (3.6K) and about 20 minutes of exercise, but it's not a great way to start the day. 

For the first time since I've started doing these walking challenges, I'm actually behind pace. At the rate I'm going, I would need to average almost 10K / day to reach my goal. So, clearly I need to step up my game, but I'm really not feeling it.

Fall Frenzy Challenge Update: 264.6 of 500K
Daily Walking Streak: 235 Days

Do you think you need to vary things a bit?  Every now and then I need to take a break and do something different.

• Like 3

@Laura Corin So glad your hip is holding up. Enjoy your time with your awesome son--I love it when I get face-to-face time with my college boy, too.

@wintermom Sometimes a rest is what needs to happen. 

I did a solid leg and core workout yesterday and took at reeeeeally long walk this morning, so I'm all set. Running slow on a work deadline and low on sleep, hoping I can get a good caffeine buzz and power through today. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Laura Corin said:

Do you think you need to vary things a bit?  Every now and then I need to take a break and do something different.

I definitely do need to vary the routine or something, but I'm drawing a blank on how to do that. With my assorted physical issues, a lot of the things I have enjoyed doing in the past are not options, and I'm having trouble scraping together the emotional energy to really work at finding options.

For example, every now and then, I look at yoga, but I think I would much prefer a class to start with, and every time I try to figure out the logistics (finding a studio within a reasonable distance that will be welcoming to chubby, 55+-year-old, weakling, newbie me and determining which class(es) might work in terms of both time and approach, etc.), I just get overwhelmed.

Edited by Jenny in Florida
  • Like 4

37 minutes ago, Laura Corin said:

@Jenny in Florida I kinda wonder the same thing? You're so very, very disciplined--sometimes a break in the routine in a breath of fresh air.

On the other hand, some days are simply harder than others but we just keep going. It can be hard to know when to push on and when to do something different.

• Like 3

Thankfully I was feeling fine and no headache yesterday. I got in a short and long walk (1.5 hrs), and then played 2 hrs of doubles tennis last night. It was very fun, but of course there is the resulting sore and tired body afterwards.

Today looks like a rest day as it's raining heavily. If it clears up I'll be joining my friends to paddle on the river. 

@Ali in OR I'm totally there with you needing sugary comfort foods. Then I crave salty comfort foods. I'm trying to find snacks that fill the need and yet don't add on tons of calories. So far it's raisins for sugar and beef broth for salt. And then there are days that I just need something more. 😉

On the topic of exercise variety, has anyone ever tried Tai Chi? I may combine both the mental stimulation and gentle physical activity. Similar to martial arts, but much easier on the body.

• Like 4

Yesterday I took the girls to the park and by the time I got home I was wiped out. Mostly standing around and talking but I had to leave right after teaching and didn't get enough to eat. After a rest I helped dd cook and got in my kettleball workout. I was worn out and in bed by 8, thankfully I've been sleeping better since my period started.

Rest day today- I did 25 min of yoga/stretching this am and WILL get in a walk sometime today (not sure on the length). Hoping I get around an hour when I take the kids in for TKD.

I continue to struggle with consistency on food. Today is a new day and I'm grocery shopping - I'm working on my meal plan- for easy, healthy food.

• Like 5

Hurray!!!! I am FINALLY out of the obese BMI category! I weighed in at 160.8, which puts me at 29.9 BMI -"overweight".

I am SO happy to be here at last.

Kiddo and I walked 4k yesterday. No yoga; I took a rest day from yoga.

I think I need to start lifting weights soon. Even though I'm still 25 lbs overweight (at least), my butt has gotten kind of boney(!!!). I'm suddenly aware of how uncomfortable these dining room chairs are. I'm going to do some research on lifting to add muscle to my booty.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, MissLemon said:

Hurray!!!! I am FINALLY out of the obese BMI category! I weighed in at 160.8, which puts me at 29.9 BMI -"overweight".

I think I need to start lifting weights soon. Even though I'm still 25 lbs overweight (at least), my butt has gotten kind of boney(!!!). I'm suddenly aware of how uncomfortable these dining room chairs are. I'm going to do some research on lifting to add muscle to my booty.

Congratulations! 

• Like 1

Got outside for a second walk last evening long enough to top off yesterday's steps.

Walked more or less the usual 3.3K this morning, then did about 20 minutes of strength and stretching. 

I took the day off work to head out car shopping with my son again and managed to log a decent number of steps while out and about. Husband and I have tickets to a show this evening, but--weather permitting--I'll pop out for a short walk with the dog when we get home.

Edited to add: I meant to add a photo from this morning's walk. I got out a little earlier than I have been lately, and the sky was so pretty I just kept stopping to take more pictures.

Fall Frenzy Challenge Update: 271.6 of 500K
Daily Walking Streak: 236 Days

IMG_20211021_071608960.jpg

Edited by Jenny in Florida
  • Like 5

16 hours ago, MissLemon said:

Congratulations!!! 

Working on strength training can def. build those booty muscles. It is of course not an overnight thing.

17 hours ago, Harriet Vane said:

@Soror Great job pushing through when you're tired!!

Aww, thanks! I really grumbled while I was doing it but got it done. 

• Like 5

I did get in almost an hour of walking yesterday. 

Today I'm doing the last kettlebell workout and taking the girls to the pumpkin patch. That will probably be all the walking I do but we'll see. I might get in a short one later.

I bought some different things at the store- I realized I'm feeling quite bored with food and need to change some things up. I'm having trouble with snacking lately but my goal right now is just to keep it to whole foods and not worry about the frequency. Also, I need to make sure my early meals are big enough- they have been smaller lately and when that happens snacking in the afternoon goes up (and is harder for me to stick to healthier choices)

I've been tracking my days and feel better about the movement or lack of on different days. Some days I really don't have much time. That will improve some after next week but it is still up in the air as I'm looking for a different job and/or adding hours on to the other job I have. 

So- here is the chronicle of my day- some days arent' so busy but others are. I will be happy to squeeze in what I can here and there.

Yesterday- I got up a little after 4:00

4-4:30 yoga

4:30-5 dressed/bathrooom/prep for classes next week/ balanced accounts

5-9:50- teaching

9:50 Breakfast and start in homeschooling

2 ish finish homeschooling

2-2:30 paperwork and menu/grocery list

2:30-3 Walk

3-4; 07 talk to ds and girls; more paperwork; fold laundry; have a snack; cook dinner

4:07-4:20 shower and dress runnign late ugh

4:20- drive girls to TKD

4:40-5:05 walk

5:05-6:40 2 grocery stores; drop things at Goodwill and meet to pick up girls because 2nd class was cancelled

drive home

7:05- 8:30; finish dinner; eat; finally talk with dh; do the dishes and clean the kitchen and collapse into bed

• Like 5

Took a short walk after the show last night to finish off my steps. 

Had trouble dragging myself out of bed again today and had to keep my morning walk to just 3K and rush through a basic set of exercises. 

I have a midterm on Monday that I haven't even begun to study for and an assignment due in my Coursera class this weekend that I also haven't started. So the plan for this evening (while my husband is out at a Dune watch party with his gaming buddies) is to buckle down and do some studying/schoolwork. I will use breaks, though, to do some more walking.

Tomorrow, weather and life stuff permitting, my husband and I plan to go to a big arts and crafts festival, which should provide a good opportunity to log some steps.

Fall Frenzy Challenge Update: 276 of 500K
Daily Walking Streak: 237 Days

• Like 4

Hobbes is still here, which is lovely. I'm walking each day, and today I'm digging and planting in the garden, as he has a friend over.

Last night we had a posh food delivery from a very good restaurant.  We aren't eating out at present so it's nice to be able to have something special while Hobbes is home. I didn't feel I needed breakfast and am using a good amount of energy in the garden. 

• Like 5

I stayed up far too late last night, which meant I double-special-extra did not get enough sleep and did not want to get out of bed. However, I had talked my husband into heading out to a big craft fair today . . .

So I managed only 1K of walking with the dog before we left, but I made an exception to my usual rule of "counting" only "intentional walking" towards the challenge (mostly because I am running behind and getting nervous that I won't complete the 500K on time) and turned on the mileage tracker while we walked the craft fair. It was slow, of course, but I logged another 5.4K.

We have a social thing to attend tonight, so I will likely end up doing a late-night walk with the dog once we're home to finish off whatever steps I have left by then.

Fall Frenzy Challenge Update: 287.1 of 500K
Daily Walking Streak: 238 Days

• Like 4

Why do the last weeks if the year go by so fast.....

This weeks check in.  I was able to get 2 runs in this week.    I told dh if I am able to get to 7 miles without injury I'm signing up for another half.  I also got my weight training in and a recovery stretching session on on my off day.  

Hope everyone is having a great weekend.

• Like 5

I did get out for a nice walk last night to top off my steps and ended up staying out wandering for a while, just because it was a nice evening and I needed some decompression time after a busy day.

I woke up early this morning because I was scheduled to drive my son a couple of hours to look at a used vehicle he was considering, but he cancelled because the truck sold before we could get there. Although I strongly considered just going back to sleep, I decided to go ahead and walk. Again, the weather was cool and pleasant and I appreciated the quiet, so logged almost 5.5K. 

Still not sure how I'm going to up my game enough to finish this 500K challenge on time. Still looking for some alternate exercises/movement activities to break up the monotony.

In the meantime, I'll take another walk this evening to finish off the day's steps.

Fall Frenzy Challenge Update: 294.1 of 500K
Daily Walking Streak: 239 Days

• Like 4

I went for a couple of really nice dog walks, one with my ds19. In the evening dh and I played our first indoor tennis match of the league and we won! 😄 We get to play on clay courts in this league, and it's so much easier on the body and joints. 

My body isn't sore, but headaches seems to be continuous these days. I'm chalking it up to allergies. My fall allergies always do something weird to my body. Things should all settle down by the first couple of frosts.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, wintermom said:

I went for a couple of really nice dog walks, one with my ds19. In the evening dh and I played our first indoor tennis match of the league and we won! 😄 We get to play on clay courts in this league, and it's so much easier on the body and joints. 

My body isn't sore, but headaches seems to be continuous these days. I'm chalking it up to allergies. My fall allergies always do something weird to my body. Things should all settle down by the first couple of frosts.

Could it be tension headaches from your new job? 

Well done on the match!

• Like 3

6 hours ago, wintermom said:

Congrats! Sorry about the headaches.

18 hours ago, Laura Corin said:

Brunch then run/walk on the beach today. Glorious weather and warm.

Ya, and nice to have while visiting too.

On 10/22/2021 at 9:22 AM, Ali in OR said:

Just 20 min on the treadmill this morning. Goal is to survive the day.

I guess you survived? Did everything go ok?

• Like 1

I got to bed late because of dh and then he accidently woke me up early- so 9pm - 2:30 am for sleep. hmph. Strength training planned for today but I'm not expecting the best workout.

This weekend I worked around the house. Seems I'm always catching up on the weekend. 

I did well with eating the last 2 days, maybe I'm back on track after my hormonal derailment.

• Like 4

30 min on treadmill this morning. Yes, I survived Friday. In general, our school's younger students who haven't been in school since 7th grade don't really have the school behaviors you expect of a high schooler. And I'm used to freshmen, I'm used to squirrelly. This is above and beyond. Outright defiance and rudeness. Making life hard. Making changes and talking to the infamous 7th period class today.

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

I've been traveling, trying to accomplish a few goals on this trip. Dfil's birthday, likely to be his last (advanced dementia). Time with adult dd. 😍 Next up seeing some old friends. No exercise thus far with all the goings-on, but I will have time for some lovely hiking tomorrow and for the next several days. 

• Like 5