Menu

Well-trained bodies - October

Laura Corin

4 hours ago, Harriet Vane said:

I've been traveling, trying to accomplish a few goals on this trip. Dfil's birthday, likely to be his last (advanced dementia). Time with adult dd. 😍 Next up seeing some old friends. No exercise thus far with all the goings-on, but I will have time for some lovely hiking tomorrow and for the next several days. 

I'm glad you are having family time plus bonus hikes.

Brisk walk yesterday plus morning and evening yoga. The morning was just a couple of sun salutations in my pjs.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Harriet Vane said:

I've been traveling, trying to accomplish a few goals on this trip. Dfil's birthday, likely to be his last (advanced dementia). Time with adult dd. 😍 Next up seeing some old friends. No exercise thus far with all the goings-on, but I will have time for some lovely hiking tomorrow and for the next several days. 

Enjoy your trip!

18 hours ago, wintermom said:

I think some of the headaches are tension-related (neck muscles mostly), and some are probably sinus build-up from allergies. Not a fun combination. 

Ugh, not fun at all.

19 hours ago, Jenny in Florida said:

I can't think of anything cute or remotely interesting to say today, but I did exceed my step goal yesterday, walk 3.5K this morning and do my floor-based exercise set.

Fall Frenzy Challenge Update: 299.1 of 500K
Daily Walking Streak: 240 Days
South Lake/Lake Apopka Trail: 3 of 25.5 miles 

We're supposed to be cute and interesting? Good job getting things done!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

By the time I finally laid down for a nap yesterday a telephone call woke me up within 15 minutes. It was not enough. I ate all the food yesterday afternoon. My am workout went better than expected but it was also easier than expected. 

I didn't have to get up until 5 but woke up at 3:45 (better than 2:30 like yesterday). I'm anxious to get my labs done and have my appointment. I ready to try an increase in meds. 

We have parent teacher conference tonight for ds and TKD for the girls. If I have time for a walk it will just be a short one. All depends on how school goes, good chance I'll take a nap instead.

• Like 4

I have been feeling really upset about falling behind in my walking challenge. At this point, the calculator in the app tells me I would need to average over 10K per day to meet my 500K goal, and I have been beating myself up about failing this kind of challenge for the first time. Also confused about why.

This morning, I realized it's because of all of those days when the combination of weather and being so busy has ended up with me pacing the living room to get my steps instead of going out for a walk. My tracker doesn't log those.

So now I'm trying to decide whether I want to go back through the Fitbit logs to find the days I paced instead of walking outside and adding that "mileage" to the walking challenge app manually. 

In the meantime, I got in a good 4.3K walk last night and another 3.4K this morning, followed by my standing exercise set and a couple of minutes of "running" on the mini-trampoline. 

My dog is clearly mystified as to why anyone would exercise on purpose.

Fall Frenzy Challenge Update: 306.9 of 500K
Daily Walking Streak: 241 Days

IMG_20211026_083010352.jpg

• Like 4

Our hot water heater is out and won't be fixed until Thursday, so no good showers here this week! I did a nice gentle yoga this morning so as not to get too sweaty.

Woke up at 3:11 to the sound of the cat relentlessly scratching away at his neck. Then started thinking about what I'm teaching today, what I need to get ready for tomorrow, and I just ended up getting up at 4:00 to do some work. I have book club tonight which I really want to go to, so I won't have that evening time when I usually get things done.

• Like 4

22 hours ago, Ali in OR said:

Our hot water heater is out and won't be fixed until Thursday, so no good showers here this week! I did a nice gentle yoga this morning so as not to get too sweaty.

Woke up at 3:11 to the sound of the cat relentlessly scratching away at his neck. Then started thinking about what I'm teaching today, what I need to get ready for tomorrow, and I just ended up getting up at 4:00 to do some work. I have book club tonight which I really want to go to, so I won't have that evening time when I usually get things done.

I'm sorry you got woke up early, that stinks. Very smart to stick to light yoga!

• Like 3

I did not get my workout yesterday. I just ran out of time. Full morning teaching, then homeschooling and too many things to deal with in the afternoon and I was already short on energy after waking up early 2 nights in a row with no naps. 

I slept until 4:20 today, which is much better. Today is a light teaching day so I already got in my leg workout. 

Almost there, my schedule will be much lighter after this week. 

• Like 4

I seem to have down with something. Felt generally lousy the last couple of days but then woke up with horrible stabbing headache yesterday that I couldn't kick and spiked a decent fever last night. So I did go out for a short walk with the dog this morning, but faded after just over a kilometer. Fever is down, but headache and general blech are still with me. Not sure what the day will bring.

Fall Frenzy Challenge Update: 312.1 of 500K
Daily Walking Streak: 242 Days

• Sad 5

On 10/26/2021 at 2:34 PM, Jenny in Florida said:

I have been feeling really upset about falling behind in my walking challenge. At this point, the calculator in the app tells me I would need to average over 10K per day to meet my 500K goal, and I have been beating myself up about failing this kind of challenge for the first time. Also confused about why.

This morning, I realized it's because of all of those days when the combination of weather and being so busy has ended up with me pacing the living room to get my steps instead of going out for a walk. My tracker doesn't log those.

So now I'm trying to decide whether I want to go back through the Fitbit logs to find the days I paced instead of walking outside and adding that "mileage" to the walking challenge app manually. 

In the meantime, I got in a good 4.3K walk last night and another 3.4K this morning, followed by my standing exercise set and a couple of minutes of "running" on the mini-trampoline. 

My dog is clearly mystified as to why anyone would exercise on purpose.

Fall Frenzy Challenge Update: 306.9 of 500K
Daily Walking Streak: 241 Days

IMG_20211026_083010352.jpg

Goals are good but they can easily become guilt factories rather than sources of satisfaction. 

On 10/26/2021 at 3:14 PM, Ali in OR said:

Sending fixed water heater vibes.

3 hours ago, Jenny in Florida said:

I seem to have down with something. Felt generally lousy the last couple of days but then woke up with horrible stabbing headache yesterday that I couldn't kick and spiked a decent fever last night. So I did go out for a short walk with the dog this morning, but faded after just over a kilometer. Fever is down, but headache and general blech are still with me. Not sure what the day will bring.

Fall Frenzy Challenge Update: 312.1 of 500K
Daily Walking Streak: 242 Days

Get well soon!

----  

Two days of a fun pattern - sun salutations first thing, walk or run at lunchtime,  then yoga in the dark with eyes closed in the evening.  The eyes closed yoga is very peaceful, and I find I've been practising long enough that there's a lot I can do like that. No one-leg balances, but most things work.

I've been practising yoga for nine or ten years. And it has adapted to my different needs over time. I feel lucky to have it.

• Like 5

I've been walking a ton! Yesterday I was incredibly blessed to walk with my adored adult daughter along the lake shore, and then today lots and lots more walking with two friends both along the lake shore and through forest preserve. So much fresh air and beautiful views. Tomorrow will be much the same, then a looooooong day driving on Friday.

• Like 5

Another day of feeling under the weather and sleeping late. (I also had an unpleasant day at work yesterday followed by an unpleasant conversation with my daughter, so I am not really into this day at all.)  I managed less than a kilometer of walking before I had to run back inside to attend the morning check-in for work. If I can justify the time away from my desk, I hope to squeeze in a lunchtime walk.

Not attempting any other exercise today.

I did go through my walking challenge app and transfer over from my Fitbit app the inside pacing I did when I couldn't get outside for some reason. It boosted my total, but not enough to put my 500K goal within reach.

Fall Frenzy Challenge Update: 345.9of 500K
Daily Walking Streak: 243 Days

• Like 2
  • Sad 3

Lower body day yesterday. I should have walked since I finally had time but wasn't up to it. Sleep has been a little meh- I'm waking up too early and not having any luck with naps. Up early again at 3:45. 

Today is my last VIPKID day. Next week I don't have to get up until 6!!!! Then after that it will be maybe 5:30? I'm not sure yet but I'm not going back to 4 am wake up. I'm hoping the week off will help with the sleep and my appointment is coming in a few weeks. I just got to get to the lab first.

Today I'm doing HIIT. 

• Like 4

9 hours ago, wintermom said:

@Laura Corin Love the fall colours in your photo! Glad they shine through all that rain.

I got in a nice dog walk and short bike ride this afternoon, and I'm playing tennis this evening with dh and friends. Have to enjoy the sun while it's here, as we have rain in our forecast for the weekend. I'd love to get in some kayaking, though.

That's a whole row of beeches along the burn/stream. We had planned another Highland walk for tomorrow to see more colour,  but the weather isn't looking good.

Today my mother is coming for lunch. I'm hoping for a walk or run, some yoga and some Prosecco afterwards.

• Like 3

Yesterday after waking up at 1:30am to a hungry cat that was beyond the shut bedroom door, I got in a quick 15 min on the treadmill before getting in to school early to finish up getting ready for the day's lesson (I had left my computer at work accidentally). So I got home after getting groceries, ate my 2 pieces of pizza, and fell asleep on the sofa at probably about 7:00pm.

Caught up on sleep, I did Root to Rise yoga this morning. Will try to catch up on house stuff this weekend and a little school stuff. I think we have nice weather after a week of on and off rain.

• Like 1

Finished my steps for yesterday with a couple of 2K walks before and after picking up my bonus YA from work. 

Walked the usual 3.2K this morning in very overcast/almost drizzling weather, then wandered the farmers' market. Assuming the weather holds, the plan is to walk the Pumpkin Glow trail at the local nature preserve tonight (to which my husband and I each contributed pumpkins), then head to the historic downtown area to see some Halloween lights and decor before attending an interactive showing of The Rocky Horror Picture Show. So, there will be some more incidental walking throughout the evening, but I want to try and get out for a brisk walk or maybe a short bike ride around the neighborhood this afternoon, also. There is a badge available through my walking challenge for a one-mile "Spooky Sprint"; maybe that will be the thing today.

Pondering whether I feel emotionally energetic enough to consider doing another section of the trail tomorrow morning while the weather is cool.

Fall Frenzy Challenge Update: 357.3of 500K
Daily Walking Streak: 245 Days

Edited by Jenny in Florida
  • Like 5

I went for a canoe paddle with friends on our favourite river this afternoon. It rained lightly a lot of the time, but was still lovely and relaxing. It may be our last paddle of the year. I'm pretty thrilled to be still paddling on Oct. 30, though! 

20211030_114803.jpg

Edited by wintermom
  • Like 4

22 minutes ago, wintermom said:

I went for a canoe paddle with friends on our favourite river this afternoon. I rained lightly a lot of the time, but was still lovely and relaxing. It may be our last paddle of the year. I'm pretty thrilled to be still paddling on Oct. 30, though! 

20211030_114803.jpg

Our autumn is warm too. The sun came out this afternoon. My mum didn't feel well enough to come out, so I just spent time with her, then went to a garden centre before going for a peaceful walk by the river. Home to yoga before supper.

20211030_160540.jpg

• Like 4

We wandered the farmers' market yesterday morning and then attended a couple of Halloween events that involved some walking, which easily put me well over my step goal for the day. 

I opted not to head to the trail this morning, because we were out late last night and I just didn't feel like squeezing the schedule today. I did take a good 4.5K walk around the neighborhood. Given that I hope to spend most of the evening sitting in front of the house welcoming trick-or-treaters (fingers crossed -- first year in this neighborhood and not sure what to expect), I'm not sure how or when I will finish off steps, but I will figure out something.

Fall Frenzy Challenge Update: 367.3 of 500K
Daily Walking Streak: 246 Days

• Like 2

It's a gloomy, rainy day today. Perfect for making and eating an apple crisp! I went for a long walk in the neighbourhood woods in the rain. It is still very colourful with gold and red leaves.

If the rain stops, dh and I may play some tennis this evening. 

ETA: We did get to play tennis for 2 hrs tonight! It was really nice weather, though a few puddles on the courts made the balls a little wet and heavy. I'm feeling very tired and pretty sore, but happy to get in the tennis! 😉 

Edited by wintermom
  • Like 1