Menu

fun 2-player games for lower elementary

EmilyGF

7 hours ago, Kareni said:

The Secret Door

Yes!!! Others by this publisher are almost as fun. (Round-Up, Caves and Claws, etc.) Fwiw I laminated the pieces for The Secret Door to make everything last better. 

Catan Jr.

Toot and Otto (like Connect 4 but with a twist)

Ticket to Ride My First Journey

Clumsy Thief

Capture the Gag

The Touch (you try to guess things and pull them out)

Richard Scarry's Busytown (this is ages 3+) 

Trouble (we each play two to make it dramatic)

Forbidden Desert, Forbidden Island--technically it's supposed to be collaborative, so sometimes we just play a 3rd character to make it work better. Oops this is on the harder side.

Solitaire--We'd play it together so he could learn how. There are tons of versions of solitaire, including ones to teach math, kinds you can learn in an app and then play with cards, etc. You can find large print playing cards https://www.amazon.com/Fanwer-Decks-Playing-Seniors-Elderly/dp/B07MJFLFYW/ref=sr_1_7?dchild=1&keywords=large+print+playing+cards&qid=1632313808&sr=8-7  or https://www.amazon.com/Large-Print-Playing-Cards-Deck/dp/B00405B7GC/ref=sr_1_12?dchild=1&keywords=large+print+playing+cards&qid=1632313808&sr=8-12  I'm pretty sure mine are like this 2nd deck. I probably picked them up at Walmart. We used playing cards a lot for math, so I have all kinds (tiny, large print, ante, etc.) to give variety. 

Now I personally am way too clumsy to do this, but my ds LOVES building with old playing cards. His grandpa would show up with boxes and boxes of them and see how high they could go. 

Dominoes. Old fashioned but he enjoys them, lol.

Disney Yahtzee Jr--Comes in a variety of themes. https://www.amazon.com/Hasbro-Gaming-Yahtzee-Jr-Preschoolers/dp/B08DRQRBVH/ref=sr_1_1?crid=1BLJPZORXDXBE&dchild=1&keywords=disney+yahtzee&qid=1632314043&sprefix=disney+yaht%2Caps%2C182&sr=8-1 

Guess Who

Have you tried going through Target's site? They have great taste in games and will run their Thanksgiving/Christmas sales (B2G1, etc) soon. I also usually go through Timberdoodle looking for ideas. 

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, EmilyGF said:

Oh, those sound good!

DS9 loves Zeus on the Loose. I'll see about that with dd!

Thanks!

For Zeus on the Loose, when I did a math games class a couple years ago, I let the youngest kids use a hundreds chart to help with the adding.  Some kids were able to do it in their head in 1st/2nd grade, but the hundreds chart helps if that's a bit out of reach. 

• Like 1