Menu

Talk to me like a 5 year old…converting closet to bathroom

Excelsior! Academy

We are planning to take a walk-in closet and turn it into a jack and Jill style bathroom connecting to another bedroom.  We may need to move a wall.  One room will no longer have a closet, but the other bedroom will still have two.  I’m thinking we may be able to add a small closet space to the newly installed bathroom. I don’t know where to start.  

Do you have a crawl space underneath?  How will plumbing be accessed?

does your jurisdiction require bedrooms to have closets?  (as well as egress).  Here, if you remove a closet, you can't call it a bedroom.  

is the wall that needs to be removed a bearing wall?

• Like 1

As other pp have already pointed out... the design logic has to start with the plumbing.  First egress (particularly how the toilet will connect -- if the space is directly above the laundry, it'll probably be cheapes to put the toilet as close to lined-up to wherever the laundry egress is) then the shower/bath.  The sink is easiest to put in whatever space is left.

Also, pocket doors can help a lot if there are issues with inadequate room to swing (two doors swinging into a small room is not great, but depending on the configuration of the bedrooms there may not be room to swing out. Pocket doors rock.)

1 hour ago, Laura Corin said:

If there will be a toilet, can you get a good route to the sewer? What kind of floor is it and will it accommodate the pipes? 

I think so. The downstairs laundry is directly next to the downstairs half bath.  I'm not sure about the flooring type and needs.  We have a standard two-story house.  Thank you for bringing it to my attention.  

1 hour ago, gardenmom5 said:

Do you have a crawl space underneath?  How will plumbing be accessed?

does your jurisdiction require bedrooms to have closets?  (as well as egress).  Here, if you remove a closet, you can't call it a bedroom.  

is the wall that needs to be removed a bearing wall?

No crawl space between the stories.   Plumbing routed through the wall?  I was hoping to add a small closet in the newly added bathroom that could double as a bedroom closet. If not, no problem calling it a bonus room. We have a five bedroom house.  The egress would be two doors on either side of the bathroom into two separate bedrooms.  No window, though.

1 hour ago, gardenmom5 said:

where will you tie in the sewer?  gray water and sewer are generally separate pipes.

Now that you said it, it's obvious.  Thank you for bringing this up!  I think it will be able to tie into the downstairs half bath next to the laundry room.

57 minutes ago, Pam in CT said:

As other pp have already pointed out... the design logic has to start with the plumbing.  First egress (particularly how the toilet will connect -- if the space is directly above the laundry, it'll probably be cheapes to put the toilet as close to lined-up to wherever the laundry egress is) then the shower/bath.  The sink is easiest to put in whatever space is left.

Also, pocket doors can help a lot if there are issues with inadequate room to swing (two doors swinging into a small room is not great, but depending on the configuration of the bedrooms there may not be room to swing out. Pocket doors rock.)

Pocket doors!  Excellent idea!!!  Would it be weird to have a pocket door on one side and standard on the other?

Edited by Excelsior! Academy

Are you hiring a contractor? We are willing to take on lots of bathroom projects, but bathroom installation isn't one of them. Even when we've done significant bathroom remodels, the plumbing stubs were already in place, as well as the ventilation.  It's one thing to put in a shower pan or lay new tile, but you are talking next level stuff.  

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, prairiewindmomma said:

Are you hiring a contractor? We are willing to take on lots of bathroom projects, but bathroom installation isn't one of them. Even when we've done significant bathroom remodels, the plumbing stubs were already in place, as well as the ventilation.  It's one thing to put in a shower pan or lay new tile, but you are talking next level stuff.  

Yes. We haven't consulted one yet, but it is the plan.  Do we need a permit?

6 hours ago, Ailaena said:

Interior bathrooms have to have an exhaust fan, right?  Are those difficult to put in?

Bathrooms must have a method of ventilation - a window or a fan.  Fans MUST go through the roof!  (cheap builders or naive diy's - often vent into the attic.)

3 hours ago, Excelsior! Academy said:

Yes. We haven't consulted one yet, but it is the plan.  Do we need a permit?

You need a permit, and unless you know what you're doing - hire someone who does.  This isn't a bathroom remodel, this is a full-scale bathroom installation in an existing structure where there wasn't a previous bathroom.

you will need plans to get a permit.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1