Menu

Growing with Grammar Vs. Rod and Staff

Testimony

I am trying to decide on a grammar program for next year for my oldest son. Could those of you who have used either one give me an idea of them? I am using Growing with Grammar 5 now. It seems so easy. My son gets all the answers perfectly. He says that he wishes there was more diagramming. He is really starting to like them. I heard someone say on the boards that these two programs are similar just that one is more Christian. Is that true?

Help!

Thank you to all! May the Lord bless you too!

Sincerely,

Karen

http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/testimony

I have no experience with GwG, but we have used R&S for several years now. We do a lot of it orally. I really think you have to, or it would become burdensome. There are LOTS of exercises. The TM has a wrap-around of the student textbok. In the wrap-around are teacher notes as well as daily reviews. At the end of each lesson are additional review questions. Soooooo, each day we orally do the review lessons from the wrap-around portion of the TM. We then next go to the review lessons at the end of the lesson of the day and do those orally. My son then reads the lesson on his own. When he was younger, we did this orally together. I buy the supplemental worksheets. If there is a worksheet he does that (with the upper grades there is almost always a worksheet. We only do exercises from the text itself if there is some diagramming, and I usually cull some of those out as well having ds diagram about five or six sentences if diagramming is available.

I use IEW for writing, so we do not do the writing lessons, although we did when he was younger.

HTH!

I keep holding up Growing With Grammar next to Rod and Staff. Their contents are so similar. I am seriously thinking of trying Rod and Staff. I am planning on doing Classical Writing. I always had a set plan for writing. I do not plan to go off of that track. The grammar, I am willing to be flexible. I am leaning more toward Rod and Staff for a lot of reasons. I thought someone out there might have used both could give me better incite (did I spell that correctly?).

Blessings,

Karen

Having used both, we are going back to GWG. R&S was just too much for my guys, even orally. They understand grammar well (unlike math) and so do not need the intensiveness of R&S. I would skip the writing lessons if you have another program you are planning on using. We are religious, but R&S was over the top with it, in our opinion. My sons started making up non religious examples for the exercise sentences. Another drawback, for us, is all the copying R&S requires due to being a textbook. We used the wkbk pages which you may not need since the text has so many exercises anyway. I think the scope and content of GWG is comparable to R&S. I am confident my guys will not be missing anything by using GWG instead of R&S.

Just my .02.

I use GWG but I researched both before I bought GWG. They are both very similiar in approach with R&S maybe being a little more rigourous. If you use R&S you will have to write the answers in a notebook. It is a non-consumable book. GWG you use a workbook and fill the answers in the blanks. I liked having the problems and answers all on one sheet like GWG does so that is why I chose it. For some they might like that R&S is non-consumable. GWG is a little bit more expensive, but I like having the workbook to write in and I liked that the instruction book was taught directly to the student. The student reads the two or three short pages and then works out of the workbook. With R&S, it is a bit more teacher intensive maybe because you go over the information with the students instead of an instruction book. Either way, I don't think you can go wrong. They are both really great programs.

• Like 1

I keep holding up Growing With Grammar next to Rod and Staff. Their contents are so similar. I am seriously thinking of trying Rod and Staff. I am planning on doing Classical Writing. I always had a set plan for writing. I do not plan to go off of that track. The grammar, I am willing to be flexible. I am leaning more toward Rod and Staff for a lot of reasons. I thought someone out there might have used both could give me better incite (did I spell that correctly?).

Blessings,

Karen

www.homeschoolblogger.com/testimony

is how much teacher intensive work you want to do. CW is pretty teacher intensive, as is Rod and Staff. GWG, I believe, can be done somewhat more independently. How much time per day do you have to commit? If you have a lot of time and really like the looks of R & S, then I would say, "Go for it!" If not, take a closer look at GWG.

• 1 year later...
  • 7 months later...
Having used both, we are going back to GWG. R&S was just too much for my guys, even orally. They understand grammar well (unlike math) and so do not need the intensiveness of R&S. I would skip the writing lessons if you have another program you are planning on using. We are religious, but R&S was over the top with it, in our opinion. My sons started making up non religious examples for the exercise sentences. Another drawback, for us, is all the copying R&S requires due to being a textbook. We used the wkbk pages which you may not need since the text has so many exercises anyway. I think the scope and content of GWG is comparable to R&S. I am confident my guys will not be missing anything by using GWG instead of R&S.

Just my .02.

This thread is being resurrected once more (funny that it's almost Easter!). This was very helpful. Do you use a writing program? I'm wondering whether to pair GWG with WWE. I was thinking of going back to FLL and doing that with WWE, but I like that GWG is more self-directed.

Edited by Elle M.
realized it was an old thread

Blessings,

Karen

www.homeschoolblogger.com/testimony

I've used both and prefer R&S. We went through GWG3. I ordered level 4 and it looked just like 3 to me. I ordered R&S and we like it much better. So now I only use GWG up to 2nd grade. We don't do any of the oral exercises in R&S. I read through the lesson in the student book with dc. I make sure they understand. Then I assign exercises from the written portion. If there are a lot I only assign half. If there is a lot of writing I don't have them write the whole sentence, only the particular part needed. I like the variety of R&S and the fact that my kids have to think more than they do with GWG and fill in the blank.

That being said, GWG actually works best for my third ds who has some writing issues so I'm guessing I'll take him further in GWG... not sure yet, we'll just have to wait and see.

I've used both and prefer R&S. We went through GWG3. I ordered level 4 and it looked just like 3 to me. I ordered R&S and we like it much better. So now I only use GWG up to 2nd grade. We don't do any of the oral exercises in R&S. I read through the lesson in the student book with dc. I make sure they understand. Then I assign exercises from the written portion. If there are a lot I only assign half. If there is a lot of writing I don't have them write the whole sentence, only the particular part needed. I like the variety of R&S and the fact that my kids have to think more than they do with GWG and fill in the blank.

That being said, GWG actually works best for my third ds who has some writing issues so I'm guessing I'll take him further in GWG... not sure yet, we'll just have to wait and see.

That's my plan B. Honestly, it was your input on various threads that made me almost try R&S this year. You have been incredibly helpful and I feel like our curriculum choices are somewhat similar, so thank you for being such an active participant in these forums! :001_smile:

I originally posted this.

I wrote that 3 years ago. I have used both Growing with Grammar and Rod and Staff. I have to admit that I personally like Rod and Staff. I feel that it goes into more depth than Growing with Grammar. Now, it all depends on the type of child you have, but the child can do Growing with Grammar independently. Rod and Staff, it is more teacher involved. However, my older son did not need my help. He felt that the lessons explained themselves well. He would take the test and do well.

I truly feel that grammar is grammar. If your child learns it, that is all that is important. After using the two, they are really great. Neither one will steer you wrong. I think that Rod and Staff has more review and repeating things. My younger son did GWG this year. We will see how his retention level was with this program.

Blessings in your homeschooling journey!

Sincerely,

Karen

How long is your week with R&S? Do you do grammar 4 or 5 days a week. I must admit, I love the idea of doing grammar only 3x per week as in GWG. My ds also has writing issues but sometimes I think it might get better with more practice. Not sure if I should cut him a break or not . He will be in 5th grade and still take forever when writing. Any advice?

I originally posted this.

I wrote that 3 years ago. I have used both Growing with Grammar and Rod and Staff. I have to admit that I personally like Rod and Staff. I feel that it goes into more depth than Growing with Grammar. Now, it all depends on the type of child you have, but the child can do Growing with Grammar independently. Rod and Staff, it is more teacher involved. However, my older son did not need my help. He felt that the lessons explained themselves well. He would take the test and do well.

I truly feel that grammar is grammar. If your child learns it, that is all that is important. After using the two, they are really great. Neither one will steer you wrong. I think that Rod and Staff has more review and repeating things. My younger son did GWG this year. We will see how his retention level was with this program.

Sincerely,

Karen

Thanks, Karen. I was grateful to you for having posted this originally, so it's even better to get your feedback now that you've used both. I'll see it how goes with GWM. I'm still open to R&S, esp. since SWB recommends it in TWTM after the grammar stage, which is where my oldest will be in another year, so I thought this would be a good year for a trial run of GWM. And I agree with your bottom line - that's mine too! :)

How long is your week with R&S? Do you do grammar 4 or 5 days a week. I must admit, I love the idea of doing grammar only 3x per week as in GWG. My ds also has writing issues but sometimes I think it might get better with more practice. Not sure if I should cut him a break or not . He will be in 5th grade and still take forever when writing. Any advice?

anyone?

I have to admit that I am new to homeschooling and very new to R&S. We started grammar about 3 weeks ago. My dd is using #5. She had a little bit of grammar in ps, just enough to write pages and pages for the TAKS. (Don't get me started!) I love R&S. We do a lesson a day for 4 days. DD is slow but it only takes about 45 minutes if that long. On Friday we have done a page or two out of the workbook. Doing those pages doesn't take her very long at all.

cat

I think that R&S can be done in about 3-4 days a week. I feel the entire book, at least level 6, can be done in about 5-6 months if you do two lessons a day. I am going to try and do it in a semester next year. One of the moms on this board told me how to plan it out. So, I am trying it with my sons next year. I will share how it came out.

Realistically, I did book 6 about 4-5 days a week. It does not take long to do the grammar. I had my son do the writing part. That takes alittle longer than 45 minutes.

Sincerely,

Karen

Because of my sudden fascination with HOD I have been looking at R & S but I have a very reluctant writer and don't want a program that is going to make him hate a subject he actually enjoys now. We are currently doing Primary Language Lessons and the writing in it is perfect for him, but I feel it is a little too natural for my tastes in grammar instruction.

I think that R&S can be done in about 3-4 days a week. I feel the entire book, at least level 6, can be done in about 5-6 months if you do two lessons a day. I am going to try and do it in a semester next year. One of the moms on this board told me how to plan it out. So, I am trying it with my sons next year. I will share how it came out.

Realistically, I did book 6 about 4-5 days a week. It does not take long to do the grammar. I had my son do the writing part. That takes alittle longer than 45 minutes.

Sincerely,

Karen

Thank you for the info. This is very helpful!

I will say that R&S does not require the same amount of personal time in the later years. Dd10 is relatively independent with grammar at this point.

I work. I teach the grammar lessons for the week in a little less than an hour. We use the oral exercises to learn the lesson. Her instructions are to use the student text to read the lesson for that day (again), use the TM to review the oral exercise, use the student text to complete the written exercises, and lastly, check the answers with the TM. If she misses more than three, she is to come get me from working. I go over the lesson with her again, and she will complete the worksheet and/or I choose assignments from the reveiw lessons and other practice lessons to demonstrate the grammar.

I will say that the overall sentence structure and style are greatly improved and coming along quite nicely. I attribute this to R&S and Killgallon. The practice in both of these books has helped her writing. :) She was a poor sentence writer without grammar - coming from public school. (I always send my girls to ps to learn to sit still and stand in the lines, and to sociallize. ;) )

We went to hake/Saxon grammar and Writing and are finding it comparable to R&S without the religious overtones. Mine are doing it independently with no problems using a schedule I made up for them. I have used GWG and found ZERO retention and difficulty understanding concepts happening.

Saxon Hake LA is only for grades 5 and up, so that wouldn't work for us yet.

I'm concerned by the repeated comments about GWG yielding low retention, but I'm wondering if that's only the case with children who struggle with language arts, as opposed to those who are gifted in that area.

Saxon Hake LA is only for grades 5 and up, so that wouldn't work for us yet.

I'm concerned by the repeated comments about GWG yielding low retention, but I'm wondering if that's only the case with children who struggle with language arts, as opposed to those who are gifted in that area.

Recently, there was quite a bit of chat about Megawords. What truly became apparent in that thread was the invidualness of each child in addition to each parent providing instruction.

The idea of something being better suited for YOUR student is the point. If I were you, I would not stress entirely over the comments.

Consider the methods used to teach, whether they fit your day and style, if it is something that your child is used to seeing or doing, blah blah

It certainly is a well-developed curricula from what I have seen.:D

• 2 months later...
Guest smlott

We will be starting our 3rd year with Growing with Grammar and are very pleased. The lessons are thorough and cut to the chase. It takes about 10 minutes of our day and my soon to be 5th grader thinks that there is plenty of diagramming - too much actually for her taste, but that's ok. I started my youngest in it at the 2nd grade level. She does one day of enrichment school and was the only one in her class who could identify a subject verses a predicate. We plan to use it for the long haul.

I have used R&S for years with my older kids, but am considering Growing with Grammar with my younger kids. Last year I just did not have the time to teach R&S with them. It looks like Growing with Grammar may help with that, but I like the retention I have seen with the older kids. What to do?