Menu

Why the zombie threads?

caffeineandbooks

I've been puzzled by the upsurge in zombie threads on the Gen Ed & K-8 discussion boards the past 6 months or so.  The chat forum not so much - or is it just so busy that I don't see them?  Almost all are first time posters, and all have less than 10 posts.  Their English is usually poor.  The threads are usually (but not always) off topic stuff - not about education or homeschooling.  The comments/questions are often vague and don't advance the discussion - "I think this is a good idea" or "I have that problem too".

Can someone explain to me what's going on?  What do these people hope to gain?  I don't see how they could be making money... or gaining information... or finding community... so what's the goal?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, caffeineandbooks said:

I've been puzzled by the upsurge in zombie threads on the Gen Ed & K-8 discussion boards the past 6 months or so.  The chat forum not so much - or is it just so busy that I don't see them?  Almost all are first time posters, and all have less than 10 posts.  Their English is usually poor.  The threads are usually (but not always) off topic stuff - not about education or homeschooling.  The comments/questions are often vague and don't advance the discussion - "I think this is a good idea" or "I have that problem too".

Can someone explain to me what's going on?  What do these people hope to gain?  I don't see how they could be making money... or gaining information... or finding community... so what's the goal?

It’s weird.  I wonder if WTM is just doing a really good job of staying up in the search rankings.  There also seems to be positions out there where you get paid a certain amount for posting comments in a number of forums etc. you have to make a certain number of comments per hour and not all of them can be one or two word comments.  I’ve seen these kind of jobs on up work.  I assume the idea is to establish an online presence that someone then takes over and uses as a disinformation bot but there’s enough legitimate seeming comments to not get caught out easily.  

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

Google sends them here, I'd say. I've had the forum pop up near the top of my results more than once when I've searched for random, non-homeschooling topics.

We're just awesome, that's all.

p.s. Once in a while I'm pretty sure the posters are people in other countries practicing their English.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, MercyA said:

I've had the forum pop up near the top of my results more than once when I've searched for random, non-homeschooling topics.

I *think* that’s because Google knows you come here a lot. Their search results prioritize the sites they know you visit. 

ETA: It's one reason people get in news bubbles. Google knows you like to read the Acme news site and Joe's news site and maybe a few others, and all of them happen to be rather slanted in the same direction. So each time you search a topic or event those news sites get prioritized in your search. And thus the lazy searcher/reader fails to become aware of, let alone understand, any other side of the topic or event.

Edited by Pawz4me
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, Ausmumof3 said:

It’s weird.  I wonder if WTM is just doing a really good job of staying up in the search rankings.  There also seems to be positions out there where you get paid a certain amount for posting comments in a number of forums etc. you have to make a certain number of comments per hour and not all of them can be one or two word comments.  I’ve seen these kind of jobs on up work.  I assume the idea is to establish an online presence that someone then takes over and uses as a disinformation bot but there’s enough legitimate seeming comments to not get caught out easily.  

Ding ding ding.  

• Like 2

10 hours ago, LauraClark said:

Would it help to close comments after a year of no activity, do you think? The ones I'm seeing are topics 10+ years old. 

I don't know.  I wouldn't want to lose the ability for people to come back and update over time - @lewelma's revived science fair thread that popped up earlier this year, for example. I just don't want the boards cluttered up with advice for helping someone's kid stop wetting the bed, when the OP's kid is now 20.  And I really value this place, so I also don't want people to waste their time on dishonest posters, if @Ausmumof3 and others are right about the sources.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, caffeineandbooks said:

I don't know.  I wouldn't want to lose the ability for people to come back and update over time - @lewelma's revived science fair thread that popped up earlier this year, for example. I just don't want the boards cluttered up with advice for helping someone's kid stop wetting the bed, when the OP's kid is now 20.  And I really value this place, so I also don't want people to waste their time on dishonest posters, if @Ausmumof3 and others are right about the sources.

Ah, good point-I knew there would be a reason.

9 hours ago, caffeineandbooks said:

I don't know.  I wouldn't want to lose the ability for people to come back and update over time - @lewelma's revived science fair thread that popped up earlier this year, for example.

I've got a few old threads that I resurrect every so often to keep them live. 🙂