Menu

Propane grill help—Father’s Day

AngelaR

We have a Char-broil infrared grill that my hubby hates bc he says it gets too hot. I know nothing about grills or grilling, but on the way home today, we saw a grilling shop (who knew there was such a thing?), and my two littles decided that would be the very thing for Daddy for Fathers Day. They even plotted about how if Mommy didn’t have enough money, they could put their piggy bank money together and give it to me and then for SURE we could buy Daddy a new grill. So…I’m considering it, but I need serious help and guidance in that department.   Anyone??

Never had an infrared grill. Seem pretty cool for high heat searing. Are their ways to "temper" the intensity of the heat (ceramic briquettes, indirect cooking, etc)?

Since he has a beast of a cooker for high-heat grilling, the missing component seems like a smoker/slow-cooker. The electric wood-pellet smoker grills have become very popular in recent years. I don't have one (I have a ceramic Big Green Egg myself), so no personal experience, but might be something to consider along with seeing if their are accessories to temper the infrared grill (which might be all you need?).

Bill

Edited by Spy Car
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Spy Car said:

Never had an infrared grill. Seem pretty cool for high heat searing. Are their ways to "temper" the intensity of the heat (ceramic briquettes, indirect cooking, etc)?

Since he has a beast of a cooker for high-heat grilling, the missing component seems like a smoker/slow-cooker. The electric wood-pellet smoker grills have become very popular in recent years. I don't have one (I have a ceramic Big Green Egg myself), so no personal experience, but might be something to consider along with seeing if their are accessories to temper the infrared grill (which might be all you need?).

Bill

"Today on Cooking with Spy car we will learn about the optimal grilling appliances that you should lavish upon your husbands and fathers this Father's Day. And here is Bill with a word from our sponsor! Hey Bill" 😂😂😂😂

You know I am kidding you, right? We love ya, Bill. Keep the ideas coming. Food wise, we live vicariously through you.

Snicker snicker, my dad used to sell Big Green Egg grills.

Edited by Faith-manor
  • Haha 2

15 minutes ago, Faith-manor said:

"Today on Cooking with Spy car we will learn about the optimal grilling appliances that you should lavish upon your husbands and fathers this Father's Day. And here is Bill with a word from our sponsor! Hey Bill" 😂😂😂😂

You know so am kidding you, right? We love ya, Bill. Keep the ideas coming. Food wise, we live vicariously through you.

Snicker snicker, my dad used to sell Big Green Egg grills.

I'm sadly (not really sadly) behind the times when it comes to newfangled outdoor cooking appliances.

Ceramic cookers like the BGE (or Primos) that burn lump charcoal are pretty old school. They are versatile (doing everything from very long slow and low cooks to very high heat), but they lack the convenience of propane or electric. And not cheap.

I also have an old-school dual burner Camp Chef that burns propane that lives outside. Cheap and has proved invaluable for decades:

CCHEX-280LW-2.jpg?v-cache=1445864910

Edited by Spy Car

@AngelaR

Here is a link to some relatively inexpensive wood pellet grill reviews on Spruce Eats.

https://www.thespruceeats.com/best-inexpensive-pellet-grills-4159120

The brand leader (IMS) is Traeger and I think there have been threads on them here. They tend to be more expensive.

They are electric, so not sure if that's a deal breaker. Might pair nicely with what you already have.

Bill

Our Traeger is super simple to use. Yeah, you need electricity, and for some that’s a deal killer. But for us it’s perfect. Foolproof, super easy, quick to get hot enough to use, and it also cools off pretty fast. Our favorite pellets are the competition blend. 
A whole chicken on there for like an hour and 20 minutes is delicious! Smoked Boston butt is sooooo good. Grilled chicken and burgers and dogs are ready to eat quickly.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, AngelaR said:

We have a Char-broil infrared grill that my hubby hates bc he says it gets too hot. I know nothing about grills or grilling, but on the way home today, we saw a grilling shop (who knew there was such a thing?), and my two littles decided that would be the very thing for Daddy for Fathers Day. They even plotted about how if Mommy didn’t have enough money, they could put their piggy bank money together and give it to me and then for SURE we could buy Daddy a new grill. So…I’m considering it, but I need serious help and guidance in that department.   Anyone??

What does he like to grill?  And how often? If it is once a in a while and burgers and hotdogs, I’d just get a bare bones gas grill...what ever is on sale. I’d spend less than $200. 

Or does he want to smoke meats and stuff?

• Thanks 1

For that price I would go with a low end Treager for pellets (ok for smaller families) or a low-mid range Weber for gas. Personally, I don’t want side burners and all the extras, so a standard gas Weber is what I like. You can order on Lowe’s or Home Depot and have it delivered. 

Edited by Tap
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, pinball said:

What does he like to grill?  And how often? If it is once a in a while and burgers and hotdogs, I’d just get a bare bones gas grill...what ever is on sale. I’d spend less than $200. 

I think that’s such an important point. It all depends on how fancy a griller Angela’s dh wants to be. My brother was really into grilling and smoking meats, so he had all kinds of cool contraptions, but they would have been a waste of money for me, because I don’t do most of that stuff. 

Also, you can save a lot of money on a grill by not buying a huge size unless you regularly grill a LOT of stuff at once. The smaller size has the added benefit of being easily movable and not taking up too much space in the garage. It’s so easy to get sucked in by all of the bells and whistles, but something basic is often all you need.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, pinball said:

Oh, he just grills occasionally over the summer. He’s not hard-core at all. Alas, I WISH he was into smoking bc I love smoked meats, but he says it’s too time consuming. Anyway…he just hates the one he’s got—it always burns chicken, even hamburgers. Is it possible to use just one or two burners?  Would that help?  He usually turns all burners on lowest possible setting and it still burns stuff. 🤷🏼‍♀️

29 minutes ago, Catwoman said:

Also, you can save a lot of money on a grill by not buying a huge size unless you regularly grill a LOT of stuff at once. The smaller size has the added benefit of being easily movable and not taking up too much space in the garage. It’s so easy to get sucked in by all of the bells and whistles, but something basic is often all you need.

That’s good to know. We’re military so constantly moving. We left one grill in NM bc there was no room for it in the moving van.  We got this one free from DH’s dad. And he hates it. It’s huge. A small, compact one would be much more to our liking. Also…we have another move coming up sometime in the next year so there’s that I need to keep in mind as well. 

• Like 1

I am researching the Blackstone griddles. They seem to be very versatile and I have known several people purchasing it in the last few years. For my purposes, a griddle/grill combo might be best and blackstone seems to have a few models though none in stock at the local stores.

https://www.amazon.com/Blackstone-Outdoor-Grill-Griddle-Station/dp/B00DYN0438

• Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, AngelaR said:

That’s good to know. We’re military so constantly moving. We left one grill in NM bc there was no room for it in the moving van.  We got this one free from DH’s dad. And he hates it. It’s huge. A small, compact one would be much more to our liking. Also…we have another move coming up sometime in the next year so there’s that I need to keep in mind as well. 

You might be best served by buying something cheap that gets decent reviews, and then plan to leave it behind when you move. 

If you don’t care about a gas grill, you could just get an inexpensive charcoal grill. They work fine. 🙂 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, katilac said:

Can you print a photo or something and make it a thing to choose one together? I think this is something really hard to buy for someone else. 

This. And that way you guys can discuss if you want to buy another grill that might end up being left behind.