Menu

AP Newbie Question: When do I schedule for 2022?

I am sure this question has been answered previously, so please forgive me.  My search skills are not yielding any results.   I have my oldest enrolled in an AP Gov't class.  (This will be his first AP test.).  When should I attempt to schedule a test for 2022?  And does anyone have any tips?   

(FWIW, I do not have much of a relationship with his assigned public school.  It is very far away because our neighborhood was annexed by the city.  We are in Columbus Public schools.   Should I contact them first?  Or try local private schools near me?)

Edited by TheAttachedMama

1 minute ago, TheAttachedMama said:

I am sure this question has been answered previously, so please forgive me.  My search skills are not yielding any results.   I have my oldest enrolled in an AP Gov't class.  (This will be his first AP test.).  When should I attempt to schedule a test for 2022?  And does anyone have any tips?   

(FWIW, I do not have much of a relationship with his assigned public school.  It is very far away because our neighborhood was annexed by the city.  We are in Columbus Public schools.   Should I contact them first?  Or try local private schools near me?)

I'm not sure it matters although your public school may be your more likely option.  I have always done this mid September after the rush of the beginning of the year is over.  The deadline for registering was moved to November a year or so ago so you need to be on it quickly. 

• Like 1

I'd do it a few weeks after schools start up for fall near you, whenever that happens to be (but definitely by mid-late September). We've done public and private schools, and it doesn't really make a difference; I'd just start with wherever's closest to you. 

Re: tips...there's a place on the college board website to search for schools that are offering the test you need (I need to bookmark it; I have to look around and try to find it again every time)--although government is a common one, so most schools that offer AP classes at all will probably have it. I'd ask around on local homeschooling groups to try to find out what schools people have had luck with in the past--that could save you a good bit of time. Good luck--we've always found somewhere, but I think this is my 6th year doing APs and it's a PITA every single year somehow or other!

• Like 1

Do you know local homeschoolers that you could ask?  I talked to a mom of older kids and it turns out that in our area there is a pricey private school that lets homeschoolers test there.  I emailed the contact person in August or September and they just ask what tests you need - what APs, whether you want to do the PSAT, etc - and then they send you the codes for use on the college board site and in the spring they send you the test dates and a reminder to bring a check for $95 per AP test. They have a bunch of tables set up in the gym for the week of AP testing, so a few more students doesn't make much difference, I guess.  

I think that our public school might work with us - my kid plays a sport there and they've been nice -  but I think we'd be limited to the small set of tests that they give instead of being able to order whatever we want.  I never would have thought to contact the private school, but they were fantastic - the only quirk is that you have to dress in some semblance of their uniform (kid took the test in khakis and a white polo since we had a choice of white or blue shirt), which wasn't a big deal.  

• Like 3

On 6/18/2021 at 12:23 AM, NittanyJen said:

If your public school is inconveniently far away or won’t cooperate, do try looking at private schools nearby. It can really work out great if you can find one that is willing to be super friendly and accommodating. 

Yes, this was also a good option for us. My older kids did most of their testing at private schools, because our local public stopped allowing homeschoolers to test.

• Like 1