Menu

Janeway or other solo campers/hikers

Ottakee

I have been hiking with friends and preparing to backpack and camp overnight.

I booked a rustic campsite about an hour away for myself.  It will be a car camp site....meaning I will drive right up to the campsite.   I want to sorta practice backpacking but since I will be solo and I don't have all of my gear yet, I will have some extras with me.

Those of you that have solo camped/hiked, any tips for me?  What do you wish you had with you or stuff you found you didn't need?  

I have not camped in a tent in 35+ years and that was at a campground with tons of people.  This campground is mostly full and does have put toilets.

• Like 2

Things I like for car camping: 

Fairy lights for my pop-up or under my dining fly

I love my tent rug and my cot!

Love rain boots or something else waterproof to slip on at night or early am for a quick trip to the restroom with dry feet.

I do most meal prep at home so meals are largely heat n eat. Minimal kitchen stuff, though I do love my french press. I cook on a stove. Fires are cheery, but I rarely cook anything in one. I do have a small, portable charcoal grill which is fabulous for burgers or other grilled food.  

A book light, bc I like to read before bed, even camping. 

Solar lantern.

picaridin tick repellent for personal use. Permethrin for my tent, rain flys, and other gear.

Firestarters. I use dryer lint swabbed in a bit of vaseline, stuffed inside a tp tube. 

A comfy camp chair. I like the the bigger ones that don’t sag.

Edited by ScoutTN

So this is meant to be a dry run with your backpacking stuff? (or what backpacking stuff you have so far?)  That's a really good idea; it's always best to test equipment in a controlled environment before you take it on the trail.

My car camping equipment list is very different than my backpacking list.  And my solo car camping list is very different than my family car camping list.

Extras that I really appreciate while car-camping solo: 

• a chair (my fave is a taco style chair - they add a lot of comfort to picnic tables), or at the very least, a sit pad or square of foamie
  • a tarp for over the picnic table
  • a propane stove (in addition to my backpacking stove)
  • a hammock
  • base-camp self-inflating sleeping pad plus a foamie pad
  • a real pillow
  • books
  • extra lighting - a small lantern in addition to my headlamp
  • heavy food, like fresh fruit and fresh veg and real milk (tetra-pak) for my tea
  • a thermos (for hot tea)
  • spare nalgene to use as a hot water bottle at night

Obviously, if your goal is to test your backpacking stuff, then you should use that.  I would have backups of key systems in the car: firelighting (matches, lighter, fire-starters), lighting (spare flashlight), shelter (tarp), extra blanket, and a second stove.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ScoutTN said:

Love rain boots or something else waterproof to slip on at night or early am for a quick trip to the restroom with dry feet.

Yes, extra footwear!  You can have rain boots and sneakers and hiking boots and crocs......

Edited by wathe

This will sorta be a combo of trying out some backpacking stuff but also having more comforts.   I can't totally go backpack mode as my tent is a 7*7 and weighs 8-10# and I just have a plain big, heavy sleeping bag and pad....and I want my pillow😀.

I might do hotdogs over the fire and s'mores for supper but then try out my backpacking stove to make coffee/tea, oatmeal, etc for breakfast.

I will use my phone battery bank charger and carry my water.

Total hybrid camping.  I will have a fire and likely my regular lawn chair but I will have my hammock in my pack.

• Like 3

Just now, wathe said:

Yes, extra footwear!  You can have rain boots and sneakers and hiking boots and crocs......

I was thinking my trail runners and some crocs.   I do have extra shoes in the car.

I will have my new bucket hat too.

We found a brown recluse and a deer tick in our tent on this last trip. I don't go solo, but I just wanted to make sure you took a good spray and suggest you spray the area where you would like to pitch your tent, let it dissipate so you are not affected, and then set the tent. I am a big fan also of a tarp over the ten and one underneath so if it rains, water inside the tent is not an issue.

Again, not a soloist, but just some thoughts from our very recent Lake Michigan adventure.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Ottakee said:

This will sorta be a combo of trying out some backpacking stuff but also having more comforts.   I can't totally go backpack mode as my tent is a 7*7 and weighs 8-10# and I just have a plain big, heavy sleeping bag and pad....and I want my pillow😀.

I might do hotdogs over the fire and s'mores for supper but then try out my backpacking stove to make coffee/tea, oatmeal, etc for breakfast.

I will use my phone battery bank charger and carry my water.

Total hybrid camping.  I will have a fire and likely my regular lawn chair but I will have my hammock in my pack.

Why not use your backpacking stove for supper too?  Test, test, test.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Faith-manor said:

We found a brown recluse and a deer tick in our tent on this last trip. I don't go solo, but I just wanted to make sure you took a good spray and suggest you spray the area where you would like to pitch your tent, let it dissipate so you are not affected, and then set the tent. I am a big fan also of a tarp over the ten and one underneath so if it rains, water inside the tent is not an issue.

Again, not a soloist, but just some thoughts from our very recent Lake Michigan adventure.

We always put a tarp under the tent but I've never put one over. How does that work?

15 minutes ago, ScoutTN said:

Love my jet-boil for a light stove! 

They're not for me; too tippy, and not versatile enough (I like to play around with cooking while on the trail).  I love my trusty Trangia; it's bomb-proof (I actually have two - my dad's 27 model from the 1970's, and a newer 25).  Next best white gas MSR whisperlite from the 90's.

Funny stove story:  I took a winter camping seminar for scouts leaders a couple of years ago.  It was bring your own stove and cook your own lunch.  The trainers both had cooking mishaps:  The jetboil guy's jet boil tipped over and dumped his lunch on the ground, and the white-gas trainer somehow lit his whole stove (and some of the surrounding pine needles on the ground) on fire.  Trusty Trangia made soup and grilled cheese without incident.  ETA; with plenty to share with the lunchless trainers 🙂

Now I want to know what kind of stove @Ottakeehas!

Edited by wathe
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, wathe said:

Why not use your backpacking stove for supper too?  Test, test, test.

Because I don't want to waste my mountain house dehydrated meals. Maybe I can make my own up....but, ok, really, I just love a hot dog cooked over an open fire.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, ScoutTN said:

Love my jet-boil for a light stove! 

I have a similar one but not name brand.  If I were to solo it back country I might upgrade...but usually I will have several friends along and it would be rare for more than 1 stove to malfunction at a time.

We will see how mine does.   I have used it to make coffee and tea.

• Like 2

Just now, Ottakee said:

Because I don't want to waste my mountain house dehydrated meals. Maybe I can make my own up....but, ok, really, I just love a hot dog cooked over an open fire.

Good enough reason!

But you could cook soup out of a can on your backpacking stove to go with your hotdogs.  And boil up some tea!

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Ottakee said:

I have a similar one but not name brand.  If I were to solo it back country I might upgrade...but usually I will have several friends along and it would be rare for more than 1 stove to malfunction at a time.

We will see how mine does.   I have used it to make coffee and tea.

This is one of the reasons why group hiking is safer than solo (beyond the obvious).  Friends = built in equipment redundancy

Edited by wathe

10 hours ago, vonfirmath said:

We always put a tarp under the tent but I've never put one over. How does that work?

We drape it over, cut rope 3-4 ft long or so (depends ont he height of the tent as to how much you need) knot at each corner through the grommets and then secure out at angles with tent stakes. This helps the water run further away from the tent roof and sides.

Edited by Faith-manor
  • Like 2

36 minutes ago, ScoutTN said:

I like to have both a poncho and a rain jacket. Good for different things.

34 minutes ago, Ottakee said:

I have both too....but really prefer not to have to need either of them😀

Add a golf umbrella for super luxury car camping 🙂

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Faith-manor said:

We drape it over, cut rope 3 ft long or so, knot at each corner through the grommets and then secure out at angles with tent stakes. This helps the water run further away from the tent roof and sides.

Do you do this in addition to your tent’s rain fly?

I do a lot of camping.  In fact I am heading out this afternoon for four days.  One thing I always hate is losing my headlamp or other essentials in the dark if I am awakened suddenly.  I have an old tube sock safety pinned to the outside of my sleeping bag.  I put my headlamp, chapstick, and glasses in it when I go to bed so I can find easily in the dead of night.  

When backpacking or cold weather camping, I always stuff my morning clothing into the foot of my sleeping bag.  Actually what REALLY happens is I go to bed fully clothed then as I warm up, I shed layers while still in the sleeping bag and stuff them to the end with my feet.  It helps keep my feet warm, makes the clothing warm to put on in the morning, and even will dry out slightly damp clothing from the day before.  After years of practice, I can fully dress and undress without leaving the sleeping bag.  It's not pretty but can be done when necessary.

I see a lot of suggestions for bringing extra stuff since you are car camping.  As you consider backpacking, you will want to examine your gear and see what can be used for multiple purposes.  Go ahead and bring all the creature comforts but start taking note of what you really need, what can serve more than one purpose, and what can go.

• Like 5

51 minutes ago, ScoutTN said:

I see this a lot in campgrounds and I have always been too chicken to ask someone what this is about.  At first I assumed the tent might no longer be waterproof or they lost the rainfly, but it is so common that cannot be why they are all doing it.  It looks like a lot of work!  

54 minutes ago, ScoutTN said:

Yes, because the rain fly that comes with most tents are very light weight and are picked up.by the breeze which can allow rain to seep in underneath. The tarps are so much more rain proofs and anchored to the ground, do not allow water to get trapped under them.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, skimomma said:

I see this a lot in campgrounds and I have always been too chicken to ask someone what this is about.  At first I assumed the tent might no longer be waterproof or they lost the rainfly, but it is so common that cannot be why they are all doing it.  It looks like a lot of work!  

We have done to for years, so we are fast at it! I can't remember back to when we started this because it was so very many years ago. I wonder how long it took us those first few times? Hmmmmmmm

6 minutes ago, Faith-manor said:

Yes, because the rain fly that comes with most tents are very light weight and are picked up.by the breeze which can allow rain to seep in underneath. The tarps are so much more rain proofs and anchored to the ground, do not allow water to get trapped under them.

I don't do much backpacking any more but still pack like one in many ways.  Tarps are heavy and bulky so we don't use them over or under the tent. Our tents are older than dirt but the rain flies and bathtub floors still work fine.  They are all low end backpacking gear....a few steps up from a Walmart tent.  On one backpacking trip, we were in a campsite that we learned (the hard way) was in an area that floods under certain conditions.  Conditions that happened in the middle of the night.  We were set up in what became 4+ inches of water.  Our tent felt like a water bed.  It was so weird!  And the next morning all of our stuff that was not inside the tent had to be collected from the surrounding area as it had floated away.  But we stayed 100% dry inside.  I was amazed.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, skimomma said:

I don't do much backpacking any more but still pack like one in many ways.  Tarps are heavy and bulky so we don't use them over or under the tent. Our tents are older than dirt but the rain flies and bathtub floors still work fine.  They are all low end backpacking gear....a few steps up from a Walmart tent.  On one backpacking trip, we were in a campsite that we learned (the hard way) was in an area that floods under certain conditions.  Conditions that happened in the middle of the night.  We were set up in what became 4+ inches of water.  Our tent felt like a water bed.  It was so weird!  And the next morning all of our stuff that was not inside the tent had to be collected from the surrounding area as it had floated away.  But we stayed 100% dry inside.  I was amazed.

We haven't had such luck with our tents, and have ended up with water seeping through the sides even.

If you will have your car there bring whatever you think you might use and take note of what you do use and wished you had. You have a good list going. I grew up camping in the BWCA different seasons and many years. What I want there might be different than your needs. 

The rain fly on 2 of our 3 tents does come all the way to the ground, which is nice. Warmer too. I sleep in a hammock in the summer, if the tent is stuffy. We have a 10x10 cabin style tent with a shorter rain fly - not nearly as good a tent in windy, rainy weather, but much nicer when it's hot. The square top catches the wind and the flapping makes tons of noise if it's windy. 

I re-waterproof them all once a year and we've never had a leak. I do use a tarp rather than the tent's footprint underneath when car camping or when heavy rain is expected. 

• Like 1

I don’t camp a ton, but my DH loves it so we do go. The one thing I’m still trying to figure out though is how to get good sleep. I’m a really good sleeper at home, so I always think that will carry through, or I’ll be so tired from hiking that sleep will be easy. But it’s not. And being tired for the next day’s hike isn’t any fun either. 
So, test out your sleeping arrangements. Your mat, pillow, bag, hammock, blankets, etc. What do you need for a good night’s sleep? 

My car camping and backpacking set-up are a bit different, but I like to pack fairly light for both. I keep a spreadsheet on my computer so I can easily pack for a weekend and not forget anything. After my trips I track weather conditions and what worked/didn’t work. This comes in handy for when temps are going to be especially cold and I can’t remember which clothing I took last time or if my sleeping bag kept me warm. 

To help stabilize your backpacking stove, you can get a little tripod, they are $6 at my local sporting good store.   I totally agree with enjoying a campfire hotdog, but if you want to use your little stove and not your dehydrated meals, there are all kinds of ideas on youtube for grocery store meals. I like instant potatoes with chicken and my kids like easy mac and cheese. Ramen is another easy favorite. 

I treat all my gear with permethrin (Sawyer spray) at the beginning of the season to help repel ticks and mosquitos. When I need additional repellent I prefer a picardin based lotion. Deet based sprays “melted” a pair of my sunglasses so I avoid it now. 

The one thing I always take with me camping are earplugs. I don’t always use them, but never regret having them. 

If you plan to do any solo hiking, leave your plan with a friend, including when you expect to be back. 

I hope you have a wonderful time!

• Like 2

Well, I am out here.   When I made the reservations Thursday for a state park rustic campground about an hour from home it was temps of 70° day, 55° night and 0% chance of rain.    I am now in my tent hoping it is actually waterproof as it has rained off and on for 3 hours and a steady rain for past hour.

I hiked just shy of 8 miles today solo and loved it.  One was a hike of about 4 miles with my fully loaded pack.  Second was was just me and my phone.

My brother knows where I am including site number.   I feel very safe here and enjoyed my fire, hammock, dinner and s'mores.

just wish I didn't have to run out in the rain to pee before I head to bed.

tomorrow I hope to hike 6-7 miles if it is dry.

• Like 6

On 5/13/2021 at 9:53 AM, ScoutTN said:

The rain fly on 2 of our 3 tents does come all the way to the ground, which is nice. Warmer too. I sleep in a hammock in the summer, if the tent is stuffy. We have a 10x10 cabin style tent with a shorter rain fly - not nearly as good a tent in windy, rainy weather, but much nicer when it's hot. The square top catches the wind and the flapping makes tons of noise if it's windy. 

I re-waterproof them all once a year and we've never had a leak. I do use a tarp rather than the tent's footprint underneath when car camping or when heavy rain is expected. 

You can re-waterproof your tents?

We had a big thunderstorm last year at our weeklong camp that caused our tent to come partially unstaked and water got in then -- but its the only time we've dealt with it

At our last camp, the wind was VERY scary. I kept expecting the tent to be pulled up and fly away but it did not.

• Like 1

On 5/13/2021 at 11:38 AM, Toocrazy!! said:

I don’t camp a ton, but my DH loves it so we do go. The one thing I’m still trying to figure out though is how to get good sleep. I’m a really good sleeper at home, so I always think that will carry through, or I’ll be so tired from hiking that sleep will be easy. But it’s not. And being tired for the next day’s hike isn’t any fun either. 
So, test out your sleeping arrangements. Your mat, pillow, bag, hammock, blankets, etc. What do you need for a good night’s sleep? 

I found I needed a cot to sleep well at night.

• Like 1

@vonfirmath

Two of mine are not-too-old, 10x10 car camping tents. I just get a couple cans of waterproofing spray and thoroughly coat the bottom, walls and rain flies. 

Our small, backpackers tent is an older, but still very serviceable, REI one. I got it for $10 bc the floor and underside of the rain fly were sticky - meaning the original waterproofing had degraded. I washed them in detergent to get rid of the residue, let then dry, and reapplied. You Tube videos and web articles were super helpful on how-to. 
Ds and I have both slept nice and dry in it in big rain since the re-waterproofing.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Ottakee said:

Well, I am out here.   When I made the reservations Thursday for a state park rustic campground about an hour from home it was temps of 70° day, 55° night and 0% chance of rain.    I am now in my tent hoping it is actually waterproof as it has rained off and on for 3 hours and a steady rain for past hour.

I hiked just shy of 8 miles today solo and loved it.  One was a hike of about 4 miles with my fully loaded pack.  Second was was just me and my phone.

My brother knows where I am including site number.   I feel very safe here and enjoyed my fire, hammock, dinner and s'mores.

Wonderful! I have only done three miles this weekend. I am trying out new shoes and a new way of talking my ankle. Lots of trial and error with the taping so I woke be doing anything long until I figure it out.

Hope it stops raining, and you have a wonderful hike tomorrow.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Ottakee said:

That's wonderful!

(Next trip, you could step up your game and embrace the pee-bottle +/- FUD.  Game-changer! 🙂 )

It rained steadily for 8 hours plus some pop up showers.   I am dry.  My tent though is not waterproof   anything that touches the sides is wet.  But I actually slept quite well.   No scary noises.

• Like 4