Menu

I might have to get off FB

Scarlett

While we’re fussing about random FB postings...

I haven’t seen it so much lately- maybe those young women I know grew up- but for a while I was driven nuts by those memes they would post about men and relationships. All about how they want their man to fight for them no matter what and never give up etc etc. It was all I could do not to post “That is stalking” or “if some guy does that you should call the police.” Young women and teens posting things like “If I hang up on you nine times you better call a tenth so I know it’s real” and that kind of nonsense. Did anyone else see that stuff? Made me crazy and they probably found it romantic.I would sit there scrolling through FB and my kids were hear me mumble “that’s stalking”, “that’s dysfunctional”. That stuff really bugged me. On occasion it would be posted by a gf of one of my boys and then it would make me crazy. I didn’t raise them to harass and pester  women!

And then all the ones like “I don’t need flowers or a fancy dinner” just take me for a ride in your pickup truck or bring me a dandelion or something. I would be like- no...you want a guy with a job. And insurance. I am super low maintenance so I get the sentiment...but again I knew for a fact that the gfs of my boys who posted this stuff sure weren’t really happy with a cheap guy. 😉

I don’t really like following young women my boys are involved with! Lol. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

13 minutes ago, Ausmumof3 said:

I have a different feeling to people sharing stuff about depression to their private relationships dramas.  I’m not upset that they share that stuff but it does colour my impression a bit.  In the same way that it does if someone’s always publicly talking about how bad their spouse is or something (and I have been guilty of that myself at times).

Oh, sharing about OTHER people is different. So yes, blabbing bad stuff about your spouse/etc is unwise, since once you make up you have to deal wiht that. 

3 minutes ago, teachermom2834 said:

And then all the ones like “I don’t need flowers or a fancy dinner” just take me for a ride in your pickup truck or bring me a dandelion or something. I would be like- no...you want a guy with a job. And insurance. I am super low maintenance so I get the sentiment...but again I knew for a fact that the gfs of my boys who posted this stuff sure weren’t really happy with a cheap guy. 😉

LOL!!!! When I started online dating I'd see, "artist" and think, "unemployed" and scroll on. Maybe not totally fair, but I was 30 with a kid and well beyond that phase, lol. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Scarlett said:

Yes, exactly.  Thank you for getting it.   And yes, both of these kids (not really kids, but our kids I guess) are unemployed. 

I agree with you re: the job meme. Loyalty is something I value highly and I’m guessing that plays a role. I don’t even mention my office or job (in a specific manner) on FB. I don’t even have the specific name on my profile. And I’m not FB “friends” with any work associates. I don’t post any of those, “work sucks” type memes, nor do I vaguebook about annoying attorneys. 

I have one relative on FB who constantly posts “work sucks” type memes. Some are funny, but I mostly think, “I hope your boss/coworkers don’t follow you on here.” I had another FB friend (whom I have unfollowed) who is a business owner but used to post all the time about how inept all employees are and how impossible it is to find good help. I mean...does that improve the chances? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, annandatje said:

You may be reading too much into it if you think she is oversharing or seeking attention.  It is very possible that she is posting in support of a friend going through a difficult breakup.  Why would you have to leave facebook because of something your daughter in law posts?  She should not have that much power over you.  You can snooze her for 30 days or unfollow her.

Well, I was mostly kidding, in a I am so frustrated type way. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Quill said:

I agree with you re: the job meme. Loyalty is something I value highly and I’m guessing that plays a role. I don’t even mention my office or job (in a specific manner) on FB. I don’t even have the specific name on my profile. And I’m not FB “friends” with any work associates. I don’t post any of those, “work sucks” type memes, nor do I vaguebook about annoying attorneys. 

I have one relative on FB who constantly posts “work sucks” type memes. Some are funny, but I mostly think, “I hope your boss/coworkers don’t follow you on here.” I had another FB friend (whom I have unfollowed) who is a business owner but used to post all the time about how inept all employees are and how impossible it is to find good help. I mean...does that improve the chances? 

Exactly.  I don’t have my job on my FB either.  And when my employer gets mentioned on the towns FB I don’t reply at all. I might repeat positive reviews  to my boss as warranted but I never engage.  My boss is extremely anti social media so I am very very careful.  

And although I don’t think anyone should stay long term at a bad job.....I do not agree with this current attitude I am seeing.  Thankfully my boys never post anything on social media.  It is the DILs.  

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Melissa Louise said:

I like!

I do this with house plans and dog sites.  I am currently on a barndominium kick.  

Edited by Scarlett
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, Scarlett said:

Whose place is it?  Lol......my mom is the oversharer.  She posted the most embarrassing testimony for lack of a better word.....about what a great daughter I am and how wonderful I have always been.  I was inwardly just begging noone to comment so it would just die. 

Why does this embarrass/bother you?  Just curious.  Words of affirmation must not be your love language. It sure is mine! I’d give my eye teeth for a post like that.

For those of you who have parents living who gush over you in FB posts, count your blessings.  

EDIT: typo 

Edited by Hoggirl
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Hoggirl said:

Why does this embarrass/bother you?  Just curious.  Words of affirmation must not be your love language. It sure is mine! I’d give my eye teeth for a post like that.

For those of you who have parents living who gush over you’ll FB posts, count your blessings.  

Oh girl....it was over the top. I am pretty sure she was on heavy pain meds after her accident.  She recounted that I had been asked to be in a beauty contest when I was a teen and turned it down, and how I was such a good girl when so many boys were after me ( which made me cringe because I was not perfect) .....it was so bad.  I just wanted to crawl in a hole.  And one of my friends said ‘happy to call her a friend’.  I was just begging no one else to comment.  

• Sad 1

9 minutes ago, Hoggirl said:

For those of you who have parents living who gush over you’ll FB posts, count your blessings.  

I agree having a parent gush over you is not always a bad thing. I don’t mind her posts where she brags  how Dh and I cared for them after the accident.  But this was dragging in history....it was just too much. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

50 minutes ago, Hoggirl said:

For those of you who have parents living who gush over you in FB posts, count your blessings.  

EDIT: typo 

Oh man, I hate when people gush over me especially on social media. The only one I don't mind doing it is dh because he knows me well enough to know the perfect amount of gushing that will not make me cringe. It just isn't my personality to want attention drawn to me. So, when someone gushes it usually ends up with more people gushing in the comments. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Scarlett said:

Exactly.  I don’t have my job on my FB either.  And when my employer gets mentioned on the towns FB I don’t reply at all. I might repeat positive reviews  to my boss as warranted but I never engage.  My boss is extremely anti social media so I am very very careful.  

And although I don’t think anyone should stay long term at a bad job.....I do not agree with this current attitude I am seeing.  Thankfully my boys never post anything on social media.  It is the DILs.  

If your Dil are linked to their husbands' via FB, and if they tag them a lot, chances are an employer will see or look at their pages,  too.  

It reminded me of a dinner years ago- before FB memes.  DHs cousin was unemployed (as in bumming around, we suspected selling drugs from the house grandpa was letting him live in for mowing the lawn- which he didn't keep mowed, it was a frustrating situation bc he literally did nothing and family just kept giving him money, lots of chances, and free stuff).  He said that he couldn't find anyone willing to pay him what he was worth.  DH- ever pragmatic- says "So what job skills do you have, and what do you think they are worth?"  He's grown up now, and works, but it was kinda funny to see him realize he had no real job skills bc he wouldn't get a job!  I think he was about 19 or 20, needed a bit of time to grow up.

14 minutes ago, BusyMom5 said:

If your Dil are linked to their husbands' via FB, and if they tag them a lot, chances are an employer will see or look at their pages,  too.  

It reminded me of a dinner years ago- before FB memes.  DHs cousin was unemployed (as in bumming around, we suspected selling drugs from the house grandpa was letting him live in for mowing the lawn- which he didn't keep mowed, it was a frustrating situation bc he literally did nothing and family just kept giving him money, lots of chances, and free stuff).  He said that he couldn't find anyone willing to pay him what he was worth.  DH- ever pragmatic- says "So what job skills do you have, and what do you think they are worth?"  He's grown up now, and works, but it was kinda funny to see him realize he had no real job skills bc he wouldn't get a job!  I think he was about 19 or 20, needed a bit of time to grow up.

Ha,  that is funny.  My DILs don’t seem to tag their husbands.  My son especially is not on social media at all. Nor is dss20.

17 hours ago, teachermom2834 said:

While we’re fussing about random FB postings...

I haven’t seen it so much lately- maybe those young women I know grew up- but for a while I was driven nuts by those memes they would post about men and relationships. All about how they want their man to fight for them no matter what and never give up etc etc. It was all I could do not to post “That is stalking” or “if some guy does that you should call the police.” Young women and teens posting things like “If I hang up on you nine times you better call a tenth so I know it’s real” and that kind of nonsense. Did anyone else see that stuff? Made me crazy and they probably found it romantic.I would sit there scrolling through FB and my kids were hear me mumble “that’s stalking”, “that’s dysfunctional”. That stuff really bugged me. On occasion it would be posted by a gf of one of my boys and then it would make me crazy. I didn’t raise them to harass and pester  women!

Those types of Facebook posts have one major benefit — I can show them to my ds21 and warn him not to date women who post things like that! 😉 

• Like 2
  • Haha 3