Menu

Looking for riveting reads to counteract current stress in my life...

I love murder and mayhem mysteries but not with explicit descriptions of certain activities and not really horror genre but I also enjoy good comedies.

Authors I have enjoyed:

Anne Perry

Agatha Christie

Elizabeth Peters

A few by Patricia Cornwell

etc

Any suggestions?

Have you tried anything by Robert Goddard? His first is Past Caring.

Here's a review:

From Library Journal

Unemployed and disenchanted, Martin Radford is delighted to accept an old schoolmate's invitation to visit him in Madeira where not only the climate but an offer of funded research from his friend's employer revives this historian manque. Leo Sellick gives Martin the memoir of the previous owner of his estate, former British consul and member of Asquith's cabinet Edwin Strafford, hoping he will unearth the reason for Strafford's abrupt dismissal by his suffragist fiancee and his political peers, a mystery that baffled Strafford as much as anyone. Exploring the sudden downfall of the rising politician, Martin enters a maze of lies and intrigue that forces him to confront his own past as well as Strafford's. Psychological drama and intricate plot will entice readers.Cynthia Johnson Whealler, Cary Memorial Lib., Lexington, Mass.

Copyright 1987 Reed Business Information, Inc.

Regards,

Kareni

My escapist authors:

Jonathan Kellerman

Elizabeth George

Margaret Maron

Nevada Barr

Dorothy Cannell

Patricia Cornwell (the older stuff)

Janet Evanovich

Laura Lippman

Ruth Rendell

John Sandford (but may be too gory for you)

Alexander McCall Smith (No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency series, and Isabel Dalhousie stories)

Novels by Vince Flynn. Be sure to read them in order. His first, Term Limits, is not part of the series and can be read any time. I read this one first and I was hooked for more Flynn. Easy. Page-turner. Political thriller.

Alan Folsom. I recently finished his The Exile, a real page-turner. Another political thriller. There is one page of pretty detailed s*x, but nothing more.

I'm reading the sequel now, The Machiavelli Covenant. Equally good. They will both divert your attention away from real life. :)

I'm totally hooked on Janet Evonavich's Stephanie Plum series. The first one is "One for the Money." I laugh so hard I cry, and then I get so scared I can't sleep! I don't think the scenes your talking about are explicit, but everyone has different opinions on those sorts of things.

Enjoy!

I'm totally hooked on Janet Evonavich's Stephanie Plum series. The first one is "One for the Money." I laugh so hard I cry, and then I get so scared I can't sleep! I don't think the scenes your talking about are explicit, but everyone has different opinions on those sorts of things.

Enjoy!

:iagree: I do admit I have read several of her books through the years. They are a good read when you want something light hearted to read.

I enjoyed The Thirteenth Tale - suspenseful and engrossing, but not disturbing.

The alphabet mysteries by Sue Grafton (i.e. A is for Alibi, B is for Burglar), etc. are great for light reading. And I'll second or third Elizabeth George, Alexander McCall Smith and Janet Evanovich. Evanovich's Stephanie Plum mysteries make me laugh so hard I cry. The violence is not explicit, the s@x is a little bit more so, but they are very, very funny.

If you like a little supernatural with your mystery try out Mercy Thompson novels by Patricia Briggs. They involve werewolf/shape shifters. Very good reads and nice escaping.

Thank You everyone for your suggestions! I am now going on the library website...:001_smile: