Menu

Foods for recovery

Ginevra

Hive nutrition scientists, what are your best foods ideas for helping dh recover from COVID? Is there, for instance, foods (besides drinking water) that helps make oxygen available to the blood? (Is that a thing? Am I talking out of my shoe?) 

I’m legit slicing up a Cara Cara orange for him every day with dinner. He likes them anyway and it couldn’t hurt. 

• Like 1

Unless you know he is anemic, I wouldn’t worry about adding iron or whatever to help carry oxygen around.

I *would* put him on an anti-inflammatory sort of diet—think Mediterranean diet—lots of veg, only whole grains (minimal amounts), small bits of fruit, no sweets. Lean meats are ok, but I would limit to 2-3 3 oz portions daily.....like meat on a salad for lunch, and a small meat with lots of veg for supper.

Edited by prairiewindmomma
  • Like 1

It sounds old school, but I always do homemade chicken soup for sick people.  If you have a pressure cooker, you can do a pretty nice bone broth with with veggies, or just a veggie broth, in about an hour.  First, I just serve the broth.  Once they want more I serve it with some rice or noodles, and eventually with chicken and veggies. My people tend to shy away from sugar when they're down, so they'll ask for the soup days before they can face a smoothie.  Even without adding any sugar, the fruit itself can get really sweet.  I'm in the whatever-liquids-they-can-keep-down camp.  My 24-year-old will still get a supply of pedialyte popsicles to get her through an illness.  She was down for 4 days after her second Covid shot and those popsicles were what she wanted the most. My gentleman tend to ask for gatorade. When I get sick, the minute I start to turn the corner and feel better I cannot seem to eat enough eggs.  That one seems a bit weird, so that could just be me.

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Ditto said:

How is your husband doing?  I have been thinking about him.  

7 hours ago, mommyoffive said:

How is your dh doing?  I hope everyone at your house is ok.  

He’s doing okay. He doesn’t run a fever now but has the extreme fatigue aspect. He tried to work in the garden yesterday but said he just felt poorly very quickly. 

His friend who went fishing with him has tested positive, after first testing negative. He is quarantined alone, which feels a little concerning to me - nobody  to insist he is not okay. 

Ds and I tested negative again Monday. It looks like we are in the clear. I go to the office very early and leave at mid-day; my boss comes in for the second half of the day. Ds has remained virtual for school this week. 

• Like 10

3 hours ago, Quill said:

He’s doing okay. He doesn’t run a fever now but has the extreme fatigue aspect. He tried to work in the garden yesterday but said he just felt poorly very quickly. 

His friend who went fishing with him has tested positive, after first testing negative. He is quarantined alone, which feels a little concerning to me - nobody  to insist he is not okay. 

Ds and I tested negative again Monday. It looks like we are in the clear. I go to the office very early and leave at mid-day; my boss comes in for the second half of the day. Ds has remained virtual for school this week. 

I am glad that you and your son are in the clear.  I hope your dh feels better soon.  Yeah, I would be worried about your dh's friend too. 

• Like 2

We also really pushed the anti-inflammatories.  Ginger-turamic tea was the staple beverage.  It's anti-inflammatory, helped with chills, and contributed to hydration.  I always had a fresh thermos of it left outside the isolation room door.  I have no idea if it made any difference but our covid positive recovered quickly despite having a pretty miserable "mild" case and has so far avoided the rebound and/or loss of taste/smell that some people experience.  The rest of the household also drank a lot of that tea and pushed the anti-viral supplements.  I am told the ani-inflammatories are good pre and post vaccine too.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, skimomma said:

We also really pushed the anti-inflammatories.  Ginger-turamic tea was the staple beverage.  It's anti-inflammatory, helped with chills, and contributed to hydration.  I always had a fresh thermos of it left outside the isolation room door.  I have no idea if it made any difference but our covid positive recovered quickly despite having a pretty miserable "mild" case and has so far avoided the rebound and/or loss of taste/smell that some people experience.  The rest of the household also drank a lot of that tea and pushed the anti-viral supplements.  I am told the ani-inflammatories are good pre and post vaccine too.

Did you make your own ginger turmeric tea or is there a specific brand you used?

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, happi duck said:

Did you make your own ginger turmeric tea or is there a specific brand you used?

We used the Trader Joe's tea, only because they is what friends sent in a care package.  6 boxes of it!  We'll be drinking it forever!

We also drank a lot of Fire Cider.  Again, some local friends swear by it and dropped off a whole bunch.  I have made it in the past but was out when I needed it.  We use this as a supplement during cold/flu season:

https://www.foodiewithfamily.com/fire-cider-health-tonic-and-homeopathic-remedy/

I try to always have some on hand and now for SURE will.

Edited by skimomma
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Honestly, what the person wants most, as long as it isn't a bunch of sugar. 

I figure, places that consume lots of things like ginger and tumuric and garlic still have people getting sick at just as high a rate as anywhere else, and so I'd rather make and feed what the sick person is most likely to actually eat, than something with what seems healthy but might have them not eat very well. Not without solid evidence it does some good. 

That said, protein for healing is generally a good idea. 

• Like 2