Menu

Book a Week 2021 - BW13: Daughter of Mnemosyne - Kleio (Clio)

Robin M

Happy Sunday, dear hearts. We are going to delve into our next Daughter of Mnemosyne - Kleio (Clio), who is the muse of history.  She is called the Proclaimer and her symbols are scrolls, book, or tablets.   

There are a number of ways to go with this week's challenge including, but not limited to reading books about: 

·         History, Historical dramas, poems, or biographies

·         Literary history or criticism

·         Historical retellings or alternative history 

·         Historical fiction mysteries, romance, or adventure.  

·         Books about books

·         Proclamations

·         Find a story with a scroll on the cover or in the title.

Alternate History Fiction Books to Read Now

Five Books Recommends

11 Literary Historical Novels You Need to Read

12 Great Books to Read to Understand Periods in Literature

60 Best Historical Fiction Novels of all time

100 monumental novels from literary history

Have fun following rabbit trails!

Count of Monte Cristo Readalong 

Chapter 22. The Smugglers

Chapter 23. The Island of Monte Cristo

Chapter 24. The Secret Cave

Link to week 12

Visit  52 Books in 52 Weeks where you can find all the information on the annual, mini and perpetual challenges, as well as share your book reviews with other readers around the globe.

Edited by Robin M
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• Robin M changed the title to Book a Week 2021 - BW13: Daughter of Mnemosyne - Kleio (Clio)

I finished reading Thea Harrison's Elder Races series, (except for the novella's) which I thoroughly enjoyed and want to read again.  The setting remind me of the Guild Hunter series in which the main setting is New York and they live in a high tower, but there aren't any angels involved.  Dragons, Gryphons, Elves, and Vampyres sets it apart. 

1. Dragon Bound 
  2. Storm's Heart
  3. Serpents Kiss 
  4. Oracle's Moon
  5. Lord's Fall
  6. The Wicked
  7. Kinked
  8. Night's Honour 
  9. Midnight's Kiss 
  10. Shadow's End 

Currently reading Elizabeth Bear's  space opera Ancestral Night and it's like learning a whole new language. The main character has a dry wit which I like. 

"I looked down along the distorted Sagittarius Arm of the great barred spiral that sprawled across the entirety of our southern horizon.

Yes, space doesn't have directions, exactly: but let's be honest here: prepositions and directions are so much easier to use than made-up words, and it's not like the first object somebody called a phone involved a cochlear nanoplant and a nanoskin graft with a touch screen on it, either. So those of us who work here just pretend we're nice and know better, and commend the nitpickers to the same hell as people who hold strong and condescending opinions about the plural of the word octopus." 

Took a break from Monte Cristo and will get back into this week. 

• Like 5

The only thing I finished was another of The Gaslight Mysteries, Murder on Sisters' Row

58 minutes ago, Robin M said:

There are a number of ways to go with this week's challenge including, but not limited to reading books about:    

·         Historical fiction mysteries, romance, or adventure.  

I've started the next Gaslight Mystery, Murder on Fifth Avenue. These are historical mysteries so I'm covered. 🙂 Often when I start devouring a series and read one after the other in quick succession I start to get tired of the formula and need a break, but I can say that I still haven't tired of this one. 

I'm almost finished with both The Secret Life of Groceries and This Is Happiness. Still listening to Dombey and Son on Audible.

I'll soon start The Glass Castle for book club. This is a reread for me but it's been 10 years since I first read it. Goodreads says I read it in December of 2011. Back then it was my book club pick (a different book club with all but one of the old members not in my current book club). I don't know if you all remember - and of course those who weren't here then don't know - but I have a personal connection to the author. My MIL and hers are first cousins. If you read the book I should tell you it's her current MIL I'm talking about, not the awful one in the book. I met her and briefly spoke to her at dh's family reunion back in 2010.  Our mother-in-laws are from a small Tennessee mountain town not much different than the one she's from, though the poverty isn't quite as bad. That's where the reunion was held. I didn't have the courage to ask her but I did wonder how it felt for her to be there at a place so similar to where she grew up. 

1 hour ago, Robin M said:

Count of Monte Cristo Readalong 

Chapter 22. The Smugglers

Chapter 23. The Island of Monte Cristo

Chapter 24. The Secret Cave

I accidentally read an extra chapter last week. I was caught up in the story and didn't realize what chapter I was in until I finished and saw that the next one said Chapter XXIII. 😄 

• Like 7

Thank you @Robin M

I spent a great deal of time last week attempting to finish the first book in the rather prolific “Bryant and May” series by Christopher Fowler. Reading it was a goal for this year and I finally gave myself permission to quit.......it simply can’t hold my attention for more than a couple pages. All that attention being paid to a boring book means not much reading happened in terms of book finishes.

I listened to Agatha Christie’s Five Little Pigs.  It was good. Not one of famous or particularly memorable books........I assume I read it previously because I knew who did it from very near the start. It was my latest in my in order challenge. https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/121648.Five_Little_Pigs

I just started listening to the the first in a space opera series that someone at SBTB reviewed recently and my library had on audio. The Cold Between by Elizabeth Bonesteel seems to be a great book to quilt to......entertaining and if I tune out for a moment I won’t be lost.😉. https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/25817527-the-cold-between

On vaccination day I read a silly contempory romance with a letter I needed titled Siri, Who am I? It didn’t live up to expectations but kept me entertained.......lots of unbelievable in this one. A woman was injured at a big charity do and spent a couple of days unidentified unconscious in a LA hospital. She comes to and is kicked out promptly still not knowing who she is. Some kind nurse hands her her cracked IPhone and off she goes.........Siri tells her that her name is Mia. Lots of social messaging etc to be had and a very quick read. https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/51058422-siri-who-am-i

I also finished a Christian Romantic Suspense novel (with a letter I needed.......that’s this week’s theme) called The Obsession. So so.............. I was being quiet while my kids were doing their online competition yesterday. https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/53911666-obsession

• Like 6

Last night I finished the contemporary romance Throwing Hearts by N.R. Walker which I enjoyed. (Adult content)

"Leo Secombe loves his life, and he’s convinced himself he’s happy to be single. In his spare time, he keeps himself busy at a local LGBTQ centre that pairs a younger person with a community elder to help them feel included in today’s rainbow family. Leo and Clyde have been buddies for a few years now, and signing up for a pottery class seems like fun.

Merrick Bowman has been so focused on getting his pottery business up and running that he’s forgotten how to date. How to live, even. But when a young, bubbly Leo and an older, grumpy Clyde walk through his door, Merrick has no idea how much Leo is about to centre his world.

Throwing clay has been Merrick’s entire life, but Leo's about to change all that. Maybe Merrick's ready to throw caution to the wind. And maybe he’s ready to finally throw his heart on the line."

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 3

Some bookish posts ~

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I've finished two contemporary romances over the past few days. I enjoyed them both, but I most enjoyed The Tourist Attraction (Moose Springs, Alaska, 1) by Sarah Morgenthaler which made me laugh.

"Curl up with a quirky small-town Alaskan rom-com that'll leave you laughing over:

• A grumpy local and the sunny tourist who turns his world upside down
  • A rogue moose who threatens to steal every scene
  • A vacation you'll never forget
  • And a sweet romance that doesn't need to scald the pages to burn its way into your heart

He had a strict "no tourists" policy...until she broke all of his rules.When Graham Barnett named his diner The Tourist Trap, he meant it as a joke. Now he's stuck slinging reindeer dogs to an endless parade of resort visitors who couldn't interest him less. Not even the sweet, enthusiastic tourist in the corner who blushes every time he looks her way...

Two weeks in Alaska isn't just the top item on Zoey Caldwell's bucket list. It's the whole bucket. One look at the mountain town of Moose Springs and she's smitten. But when an act of kindness brings Zoey into Graham's world, she may just find there's more to the grumpy local than meets the eye...and more to love in Moose Springs than just the Alaskan wilderness."

I also read Superfan: A Hockey Romance (Brooklyn Book 3) by Sarina Bowen.

"Three years ago I met the most amazing girl in the world. We were both down on our luck. Then I got that call—the one that tells you to get your buns on a plane to go meet your destiny.
But the girl was left behind. I didn’t have her phone number, and she didn’t know my real name.
While I became a professional hockey player, she became a superstar, with platinum records and legions of fans. And a slick, music producer boyfriend who treated her badly.
But fate wasn’t done with us yet. When Delilah turns up at a hockey game, I can’t resist making contact. The internet swoons when I ask her out on a date.
She might not remember me. But her jerkface ex does. He’ll do anything to keep us apart.
Good thing athletes never give up. This time I’m playing to win."

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 4

For my historical fiction read this week, I finally dove into The Duke and I, the first Bridgerton story and thoroughly enjoyed it. Will probably continue to read the series. Also watched the first episode of Bridgerton on Netflix which is equally good. 

• Like 4

Read The House in the Cerulean Sea by T J Klune. A simple story - guy who is stuck in a routine meets an odd family, falls in love and changes his life. Difference is the fantasy element (the 'family' is a group home for magical kids). Simple, bordering on simplistic (this author does not have kids, surely - real kids are far more painful!) But sweet.

Read a good one for 'middle readers' eg 8-12 by Jaclyn Moriarty (Australian author). It was actually the third in a series but the books are only distantly linked and the 3rd was the best: The Stolen Prince of Cloudburst. Girls in boarding school in a fantasy world with a teacher who is gaslighting them - really good read.

• Like 5

Posting first and then hoping to get back here in a few days and catch up on what each of you are reading, or have read.

Thank you (!!) @Robin M for these book threads. 💐

I appreciate the book recommendation, given a while back, @Kareni.  I just checked and, amazingly, our library does have a printed copy. 

In the last six or so weeks , I've spent a good amount of time going back through series I'm familiar with - then it doesn't matter if I go to sleep as I already know what happens.  I originally went through The Cottage Tales of Beatrix Potter by Susan Wittig Albert for/with my young teen aged DD, the series isn't as charming this time through and I've abandoned things at the second to last book.  Other repeat listens/reads have been;  The Miss Silver series by Patricia Wentworth, which I mostly enjoy, and the Drumburly /Dering series by D.E. Stevenson, also enjoyed.

I've just listened to a follow-on for the Dering series, Bel Lamington ~ D.E Stevenson which was gentle reading from an era long gone. Bel can be a bit sappy yet I gave the book four stars.

I listened to two more in the Inspector Ian Rutledge series:

A Fatal Lie: Inspector Ian Rutledge Bk23 ~ Charles Todd, narrated by Simon Vance (4-) Unlike others, I didn’t mind the shift to Simon Vance as the voice for Rutledge, if we can’t have Simon Prebble, Simon Vance is good too.    As per usual,  the mystery took us with Inspector Rutledge all over the U.K.  The topic for Rutledge’s latest case was a little odd – I can’t give too much background with creating spoilers: some people just do not deserve to have the privilege of a child to care for.  Ian has still not been cut any breaks in his personal life.

A Hanging at Dawn: Bess Crawford Bk11.5 ~ Charles Todd, narrated by Rosalyn Landor (4) It is nice to hear the back story of Simon Brandon as he is so closely entwined in the Crawford’s life, especially Bess Crawford’s.   Looking forward to the next book in this series.

As I'm hoping to achieve at least two book read each month this year I've picked up the Rowland Sinclair Crime and Mystery series by Australian author Sulari Gentill (I think you've read some of these @mumto2?)  Only one book has been a waste of reading time so far, the rest of the series is averaging between three to four our of five stars for me.

Sip-reading is an ongoing habit for me and I have, at last count, five in my could-take-until-next-year pile, and,  three in my try-to-read-some-each-day stack.    A challenging and very slow paced read from amongst that collection is Herbert Lockyer's,  Dark Threads the Weaver Needs: The Problem of Human Suffering.

A few five stars listens for me have been :

Age of Myth: The Legends of the First Empire Bk1 ~ Michael J. Sullivan, narrated by Tim Gerard Reynolds  There are some content issues that others may like to know before starting.  (Some cursing, no F-bombs.   A few violent squirmishes - especially amongst the magicians, and with the destruction of a bear.  Some narcissistic characters.  One magician had her girlfriend/ partner leave her because she’s never home.  Newborn babies have been abandoned by parents due to famine/tribal laws.)

The Other Bennet Sister ~ Janice Hadlow, narrated by Kristin Atherton    ( I found this better listened to at 1.5x ) This story from Mary Bennett’s vantage point contains so many of the events that happened to others in the original Pride and Prejudice and are now happening to her, and around her:  I enjoyed spotting them. I found Mr. Collins’ character development the least plausible, and was happy to dislike Miss Bingley and the pleasure-seeking-creep she was try to ‘land’.

Edited by tuesdayschild
Series typo
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I finished a few books recently:  

Wild Sign by Patricia Briggs is #6 in her Alpha & Omega series.  I love Charles and Anna.

Beguiled by Darynda Jones is a Paranormal Woman Fiction (women over 40).  It's #3 in a fun, quick read series.

The Solstice Countdown by Lisa Shearin is #7 in the SPI Files series.  I've liked this urban fantasy series from the beginning. 

• Like 5

24 minutes ago, tuesdayschild said:

I appreciate the book recommendation, given a while back, @Kareni.  I just checked and, amazingly, our library does have a printed copy. 

I hope you'll enjoy The Last Sun (The Tarot Sequence Book 1), tuesdayschild.

25 minutes ago, melmichigan said:

Wild Sign by Patricia Briggs is #6 in her Alpha & Omega series.  I love Charles and Anna.

I'm eagerly awaiting a library copy as I'm also a big fan of Charles and Anna.

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 4

Some bookish posts ~

WHY DO SO MANY NOVELS FEATURE GOLDEN RETRIEVERS?

https://crimereads.com/why-do-so-many-novels-feature-golden-retrievers/

Finding Comfort in Apocalyptic Stories

https://www.tor.com/2021/03/22/finding-comfort-in-apocalyptic-stories/

If You Liked Murderbot, You Might Like the Raksura, Too

https://smartbitchestrashybooks.com/2021/03/if-you-liked-murderbot-you-might-like-the-raksura-too/

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 5

42 minutes ago, Seasider too said:

You might find this interesting:

Thank you, I hadn't realised they were sisters although I have read both Liane and Jaclyn's books. Hadn't heard of Nicola. Pretty special to have 3 sibling writers!

Just finished (an hour ago!) another book, non-fiction: Every Word is a Bird we Teach to Sing, by Daniel Tammet. Daniel is an adult with autism and synaesthesia, who has picked up a number of different languages and worked as a translator. Each chapter was something new about languages, from reviving Manx to translating the works of Les Murray. I really enjoyed it.

• Like 6

14 hours ago, Kareni said:

I've finished two contemporary romances over the past few days. I enjoyed them both, but I most enjoyed The Tourist Attraction (Moose Springs, Alaska, 1) by Sarah Morgenthaler which made me laugh.

I am so glad you enjoyed Moose Springs.  I have read on in the series and the third book was recently released which just became available via hold’s to me!  Yay!    The first was much better because of the Moose but the second was enjoyable!

@tuesdayschildI have really enjoyed the Rowland Sinclair mysteries and consider them some of my better recent finds.  They are just plain interesting because I always seem to learn some historical information I didn’t know mixed in with a great story!  I am glad to hear you are enjoying them also!  

• Like 4

Last week I finished an audiobook - Emily Goes to Exeter by Marion Chesney. Spinster housekeeper inherits a good amount of money and decides to travel and ends up playing matchmaker when things go awry. Fun, fluffy story and I want to read the next in the series. 

I'm currently in the middle of a couple of recommendations from last week's post and have a few more coming from the library that I'm looking forward to.

@tuesdayschild I've enjoyed the Dering series by D. E. Stevenson, too! I think Bel Lamington was the last one I've read so it's about time to find another. 🙂

• Like 5

3 hours ago, mumto2 said:

I am so glad you enjoyed Moose Springs.  I have read on in the series and the third book was recently released which just became available via hold’s to me!  Yay!    The first was much better because of the Moose but the second was enjoyable!

I agree that the moose really did add a lot to the story. Are you aware of the free short story below? I enjoyed it.

A Christmas Bun for Ulysses: A Moose Springs, Alaska Story by Sarah Morgenthaler 

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I just finished a contemporary novel that I quite enjoyed ~ Float Plan by Trish Doller

"Heartbroken by the loss of her fiancé, adventurous Anna finds a second chance at love with an Irish sailor in this riveting, emotional romance.

After a reminder goes off for the Caribbean sailing trip Anna was supposed to take with her fiancé, she impulsively goes to sea in the sailboat he left her, intending to complete the voyage alone.

But after a treacherous night’s sail, she realizes she can’t do it by herself and hires Keane, a professional sailor, to help. Much like Anna, Keane is struggling with a very different future than the one he had planned. As romance rises with the tide, they discover that it’s never too late to chart a new course."

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Kareni said:

I agree that the moose really did add a lot to the story. Are you aware of the free short story below? I enjoyed it.

A Christmas Bun for Ulysses: A Moose Springs, Alaska Story by Sarah Morgenthaler 

Regards,

Kareni

Awwwwww I had no idea!  Thank you for sharing with me.....it was good closure for me too!

I finished the first book in the Central Corps series I was listening to.  Quite good......I moved directly into the second one.  https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/25817527-the-cold-between

I also did what suspect was a reread of a Mary Balogh called The Secret Herorine which I think was on a list of unique historical  romances I went through a couple of months ago. I enjoyed it and plan to go back and read the first books in this series.  https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/969591.The_Famous_Heroine 

• Like 3

On 4/1/2021 at 5:24 AM, Mothersweets said:

I've enjoyed the Dering series by D. E. Stevenson, too! I think Bel Lamington was the last one I've read so it's about time to find another. 🙂

Have you read the sequel to Bel Lamington, Fletchers End ?   I'm stalling hoping it will come available on audio.

On 4/1/2021 at 2:19 AM, mumto2 said:

I have really enjoyed the Rowland Sinclair mysteries and consider them some of my better recent finds.  They are just plain interesting because I always seem to learn some historical information I didn’t know mixed in with a great story!  I am glad to hear you are enjoying them also!  

I am enjoying them for that reason too: there are decent chunks of Australian history in there that I didn't know about.  

• Like 4

Thank you to who ever mentioned/recommended The Devotion of Suspect X: Detective Galileo Bk1 ~ Keigo Higashino , Translated by Alexander O. Smith, narrated by David Pittu.  I gifted it 4 out of 5 starts.   This story is unlike any other mystery I've listened to recently,  the crime and the participants in this story are revealed right off, then a twist comes with suspect X taking the initiative to  .....  can't say too much it'll generate spoilers.  Clever.  I wasn't expecting THAT ending. 

So many layers to this story with the background issues; domestic violence, single parenting, attempted suicides, homelessness, and,  friendship versus professional obligation

• Like 5

Last week I finished This Is Happiness. I had to think about it for a while before I could describe how I felt. I really enjoyed it and gave it four stars. It drags a bit in the middle which is what prevented me from giving it five stars. 

Here's my rambling Goodreads review. I didn't know how to review this book because it's hard to describe, but I enjoyed it very much. 

Is anyone else participating in the Count of Monte Cristo read along? I hesitate to say too much because it's a reread for me and I don't want to accidentally give spoilers. 

I'm almost finished with The Secret Life of Groceries and am finding it eye opening. There are some things I knew but most I didn't. 

I'll soon start The Glass Castle for book club. This is a reread for me but it's been 10 years since I first read it. Goodreads says I read it in December of 2011. Back then it was my book club pick - a different book club with only one of the old members in my current book club. I don't know if you all remember or if any of you knew to begin with but I have a personal connection to the author. My MIL and hers are first cousins. If you read the book I should tell you it's her current MIL I'm talking about, not the awful one in the book. I met her and briefly spoke to her at dh's family reunion back in I think 2010, or maybe 2008 (we've been to so many of his family reunions that they all run together in my mind lol).  Our mother-in-laws are from a small Tennessee mountain town not much different than the one she's from, though the poverty isn't quite as bad. That's where the reunions are always held, on family property. I didn't have the courage to ask her when we met but I did wonder how it felt for her to be there at a place so similar to where she grew up. That was the only family reunion she and her husband attended afaik.

Edited by Lady Florida.
  • Like 6