Menu

More stocking questions.

Do you put up a stocking for you? If so is there ever anything in it?

Since I am the "holiday" person in my family and dh is the "grinch" person I am the one who shops and does the whole holiday thing. So, I have come to the point that I don't even put a stocking up for me anymore. So, anyone else do this?

Flylady has the answer! Have you ever heard of her? She helps people get organized. (flylady.com)

She grappled with this one and the answer is to go out there and get yourself stocking stuffers. If the rest of the family are being meany-grinches, who cares! YOU'RE not going to sit there on Christmas morning without a stocking--no way! No one will stop you from having a stocking this year!!!

Go to the dollar store if you don't have a lot of money, or somewhere else if you do, and buy buy buy until your own stocking is full full full of exactly what you want.

Don't let the Grinches get you down!!!

Me and dh both put them up for us. We both enjoy holiday shopping and do it together along with filling the stockings. Half the fun is staying up late and giggling as we wrap gifts and set everything out just perfect.:001_smile:

You should hang that stocking up and buy yourself something nice to go in it. Even if it's just something inexpensive and simple. You are entitled to enjoy discovering the stocking too!

We put up stockings. Even the cat and dog have one. We fill ours with SOME candy and packs of gum. I also fill with useful items. Like small things like hand lotion, a pen, a small pad of paper. This year we bought some items from the 1.00 section at Target.

The dog gets a chewie and the cat usually a new toy.

When ds was little we would do thins like Hot Wheels, but now it's more practical items.

I fill the kids' stockings, and dh fills mine/I fill his. We have little traditions--we each open our stocking in bed before we go downstairs to the tree. My parents started that to buy themselves some time before they had to get out of bed--I would open mine, then visit my two brothers' bedroom while they opened theirs (one of the few times I was allowed in their room! lol), then we'd call the dog upstairs (one of the few times he was allowed upstairs!) and troop to Mom and Dad's room. They never had stockings until one Christmas when all of us were teens (and 20-somethings) and bought them stockings and stuffed them.

I fill the kids' stockings, and dh fills mine/I fill his. We have little traditions--we each open our stocking in bed before we go downstairs to the tree. My parents started that to buy themselves some time before they had to get out of bed--I would open mine, then visit my two brothers' bedroom while they opened theirs (one of the few times I was allowed in their room! lol), then we'd call the dog upstairs (one of the few times he was allowed upstairs!) and troop to Mom and Dad's room. They never had stockings until one Christmas when all of us were teens (and 20-somethings) and bought them stockings and stuffed them.

:001_smile: I like your idea of opening them in bed before going downstairs. What a nice way to wake up and avoid having children in your room at 5am. Actually we have one early riser and we typically have to wake the other two. Neat idea though.

Yes, it's quite sweet. They bring the empty stocking to bed with them, and then it's filled overnight. My parents did low-key Santa, but we haven't gone the Santa route, so my kids always knew it was us. There have been several times they've heard "Santa" stumble and curse in the darkness. Hearing something drop in the middle of the night and a mumbled, "Oh dammit!" is really quite an interesting childhood memory.

Dh doesn't really buy me stocking sized presents (or no present at all some years) so I don't worry about it. All of our stockings are up each year for decoration and then the are moved to the back of the couch when filled. Mine just stays on the wall. IF I want something, I buy it when I want it, I don't wait for Christmas. If it was important to me, I would fill it myself.

Dh doesn't really participate in much gift giving. He is a darling man but his parents really ruined gift giving for him so he doesn't do it now. He loves that I do the gift giving but he isn't really capable. He was a very neglected middle child. There was even one Christmas where the older and younger brothers got motorcycles and he got almost nothing :confused:. He was ADHD as a child and a boy (mom was convinced he was a girl all pregnancy) so I don't think his parents liked him much :glare:.

We all have stockings, including the cats. :) ...dh will fill mine - with joke stuff and with (what he thinks are) practical things... oddly enough, his idea of practical sometimes includes stinky prefume knockoffs. :tongue_smilie: (I don't even wear the original stuff - I hate perfume!) ....eh, men. ;)

A friend of mine said that she gave the job of stocking stuffers to her husband. She said she does all the other shopping but the the husband is totally and completely responsible for stockings and has been for years. I've given this job to my husband. I have told him that I will not be doing stocking stuffers this year.....its his job. His reaction was like "Sure, no big deal, why are you making this sound so serious?"

(I have a secret stash of candy in the freezer....just in case)

We'll see.

Oh, he and I don't have stockings. The few times he's had something in a stocking (chocolate) I've used one of his socks. I've handmade stockings for all of my kids, and I just don't have the drive to do ones for me or my dh.