Menu

Student omits words when writing

blendergal

One of my kids has a habit of omitting words when he’s writing (original text, not copywork). Now I’m prompting him to re-read what he’s written before he “turns it in,” keeping an eye out for dropped words. But he does it so regularly, I’m wondering — can this be normal? What’s the deal?

He turns 9 this summer. He reads fluently and above grade level. Handwriting (left-handed) is quite good.

I have an older son with special needs for whom reading and writing have been extra challenging, but he’s never had this particular quirk.

Thoughts?

1 hour ago, blendergal said:

omitting words when he’s writing

Assuming his oral narratives are fine I would assume it's a working memory weakness. Does it improve if you use tech like tts (text to speech) or recording/transcribing or graphic organizers? What if he types instead of writing or dictates his narratives/compositions to you?

There's a lot that is subclinical. So it reflects something, sure, but it might not be enough to get a separate diagnosis. I would assume something is weak (working memory, whatever) and step up supports and see if that takes care of it. 

Does he have any midline or OT issues? Retained reflexes? 

1 hour ago, blendergal said:

I have an older son with special needs for whom reading and writing have been extra challenging, but he’s never had this particular quirk.

Exactly. It's the plight of the subclinical, very bright dc. Things are hard, but they're never enough to get a diagnosis. This was my dd's problem. We'd find things that were funky (floppy, low tone, difficulty writing, word retrieval, etc.) but nothing by itself was ever CLINICAL. And yet all those small difficult pieces still made life hard and altogether needed recognition and supports/accommodations, kwim?

I don't know if it's normal, but I do this when I type 🙂 . I type very quickly, and apparently my hands get ahead of my words. I've never figured out anything to do about it except reread what I write... it helps if I reread with an interval of time in between, so that my brain doesn't automatically fill in the words that aren't there. 

I can't say this has ever hampered me in any way as an adult, so I wouldn't worry a ton about it. 

• Like 2

My 2nd grader will do that from time to time. One technique I have taught him is to deep-read what he's written.

So, he might read JUST the subject, and then read it word-for-word backwards. So cover up the predicate of the sentence and reading to check that he wrote:

"A large fluffy brown dog" (say the subject out loud)

"dog"

"brown dog"

"large brown dog

A large brown dog

Read the subject aloud one more time--hopefully at this point he realizes that he left out "fluffy" and will insert it.

I have him edit at a whisper--not silently in his head.

13 hours ago, 8filltheheart said:

His brain is probably moving faster than his hand.  At his age, I would not be concerned.  If he can read aloud what he wrote and pick up what he left out, he is ahead of the game.  A lot of kids read aloud and read what they think they wrote anyway.

I do this all the time. ALL the time. That said, I'd bet all my money I have dysgraphia - that wasn't a thing that was diagnosed back then, but people I know who have experience with it will back me up on that. (one friend was like, yeah right, people like to say that but I'm sure you are fine. Had me write something. Her eyes got big and she said, "oh...well....okay.....yeah you do", lol)

So not sure if it is just a "thinking faster than my fingers" thing or specific to dysgraphia. 

4 minutes ago, ktgrok said:

I do this all the time. ALL the time. That said, I'd bet all my money I have dysgraphia - that wasn't a thing that was diagnosed back then, but people I know who have experience with it will back me up on that. (one friend was like, yeah right, people like to say that but I'm sure you are fine. Had me write something. Her eyes got big and she said, "oh...well....okay.....yeah you do", lol)

So not sure if it is just a "thinking faster than my fingers" thing or specific to dysgraphia. 

If the only thing he is doing is dropping some words he thinks he has written without any other indicators, as a parent I would not be concerned and I most definitely would not think "LD."  THe OP can read about dysgraphia and see if she sees any other signs.  Omitting words as a young writer is just not that uncommon.  

• Like 2

I don't think I'd be too concerned.  I do this all the time!  My hand just feels so slow when I'm writing, and I'm already moving on to the next word, in my mind.  It's a little better when I type because I'm a pretty fast typist.  

Perhaps you can have him read what he writes out loud after he has written it.  I think it's easier to catch missed words when you're reading it out loud.  This is actually what I do.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, blendergal said:

Thank you to your perspectives! My instinct is that he is just thinking faster than he can write (plus a little careless by nature). So we will keep re-reading aloud and see where that gets us.

You might also encourage him to write rough drafts double-spaced so that he can get his ideas out of his brain & onto paper first then have room to fill in missing words afterwards. Then for final drafts he’ll have everything corrected & ready to go. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Shoes+Ships+SealingWax said:

You might also encourage him to write rough drafts double-spaced so that he can get his ideas out of his brain & onto paper first then have room to fill in missing words afterwards. Then for final drafts he’ll have everything corrected & ready to go. 

Oh, I like that idea! Better than all the carets we’ve been using.