Menu

Compostable produce bags

skimomma

The store in which I do 90% of my grocery shopping just switched to compostable produce bags.  The print on the bag claims they can be composted in a garden compost bin.  That is great and I am all about it.  I used to use reusable bags for produce but they are currently not allowed due to the pandemic.  So I was pretty excited about this development.  However, one week later, I am having my doubts.

I shop once every 2-3 weeks and menu plan based on how long I expect certain ingredients to last.  By week three, we are typically eating frozen/canned/dried produce I have put up from the summer.  But we are often still eating the more robust fresh veggies through week two.  I have noticed that the new compostable bags do not seem to keep the produce as fresh.  For instance, a bunch of parsley will typically keep in my fridge in a normal produce bag for up to two weeks.  When I went to use the latest bunch, that was purchased only 5 days ago, it was too wilted to use.  I have noticed this with several more delicate items like green onions, cilantro, and lettuce.  I have also noticed a pretty bad smell from the bags, which is not very encouraging.

Anyone have any experience?  

I’ve not had that experience but I'm not sure our curbside compost service accepts them (I haven’t looked into it recently though). I don’t usually bother with produce bags.

I did try composting a biodegradable “plastic” cup in my garden compost bin; last time I checked it was in pristine condition after several years. Lol. 

I did have a roll of corn based compostable bags that came with my countertop bin; I forgot about them for a few years and when I found them they had biodegraded under my sink. So I guess it does work. Lol

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, MEmama said:

I did have a roll of corn based compostable bags that came with my countertop bin; I forgot about them for a few years and when I found them they had biodegraded under my sink. So I guess it does work. Lol

Well, these smell like they are biodegrading in my fridge right now so I suspect they really will compost.  I'll know for sure when it is time to turn the compost in the summer.  But it will be easy enough to screen them out of the compost if they don't.  I just don't want to be adding what should have been perfectly good produce to my compost because it rots in the compostable bags!

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, skimomma said:

Well, these smell like they are biodegrading in my fridge right now so I suspect they really will compost.  I'll know for sure when it is time to turn the compost in the summer.  But it will be easy enough to screen them out of the compost if they don't.  I just don't want to be adding what should have been perfectly good produce to my compost because it rots in the compostable bags!

1. Ew. 😞 

2. For sure! 

The store where I shop has regular plastic produce bags so I'm not familiar with the type you're using.  (I don't typically store produce in plastic bags, though.) 

Two things you might want to try:  

Go to Amazon and look for "Bluapple".  You fill these plastic blue apples with a packet that absorbs ethylene gas in the produce drawers.   I think they work well.     (If you don't want to buy the plastic apples you could probably just buy the refill kit and put the packets into something you already have to keep them dry. )

I also use these boxes with drip trays to store (washed) produce.     https://www.qvc.com/LocknLock-4-Piece-Stackable-Fridge-Set-w-Drip-Trays.product.K51034.html?sc=SRCH  

Yikes. One of the stores here has those bags and I've used them, but don't store produce in them. I take everything out of the bags once I'm home.

Delicate produce like cilantro and parsley will stay fresh for a long time if you keep them in the fridge in a mason jar with a bit of water.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, happi duck said:

How do you store things when you're able to use your reusable produce bags?  Switch back to that!

That is an option for sure.   And probably what I will do in the meantime.  I was just (temporarily) super excited about being able to use something that is less of a PITA than the reusable bags while still being "environmental conscience."  But first, I wanted to make sure this was not all in my head.  It is quite possible I hit the store on a bad produce day so I wanted to see if anyone else had this issue with these bags.

If they're not working out, maybe you should only use them to get the produce home then move it into your own bags.  You can always use the compostable bags to line a small compost bin.  Have you every put your parsley or cilantro in a jar of water in your fridge with a bag over it?  It lasts a month or more if you remember to change the water a couple times a week.

The particular compostable produce bags they use at our food co-op do not keep the vegetables fresh for more than a day. They are greenish, and have "Crown Poly" on them. I have been transferring produce to glasses of water if they have stems or reusing the regular grocery store produce bags to keep them fresh. I probably shouldn't even take the compostable ones, but I don't like to put produce that we don't cook without a barrier in the cart or especially on the conveyor belt (cross contamination with meat). Also I know I should have reusable bags that are of a type that doesn't let the produce perish, but I am 100% sure I would fail to wash them before the next trip to the store. 

Another vote that these don't work so well for keeping things fresh or even staying together over time if they're under some pressure. I use them as the bin liners in my countertop compost and in the summer when things are really kicking along, they often start to degrade a bit. I mean, they're mostly worth it - We typically generate two countertop bags a week and put them in the heavily sealed compost bin outside before carting the large bin to the drop a couple blocks away. In winter it works really well. At the height of summer... um... I definitely have to rinse the bin. The city compost folks tried to tell me that you can't use them in backyard compost very well (and that large scale like the city does is fine) but I'm actually dubious of that given how I've seen them start to break down just a little. It doesn't take much moisture to start working on them.

I'd go back to your old solution, unfortunately.

Well, at least now I know it is not in my head!

I will for sure start moving stemmed items to water jars.  I knew I could do that but was always fine with them in the old style bags until I needed the items.  That is easier in my too-small fridge.

Based on how quickly they are breaking down in the fridge, I don't see that they will be a problem in my backyard compost.  I have to screen the compost every year before it goes in the garden anyway so I am not worried.  If they don't break down, I will know around July and will stop putting them in there.