Menu

Curology—has anyone tried it?

mmasc

All of this skin talk lately has gotten me thinking about Curology again. I’ve looked at it tons of times, but can’t quite seem to pull the trigger.  Has anyone tried it? Did you like it?

I answered all of the questions on the website, but it looks like it wants my payment info after the quiz, but I thought they always wanted pictures of your face to look at. I don’t see that anywhere though. I’d also like to know what formulation they’re giving me before I buy. Anyone tried this and know what I’m talking about?

• Like 1

I just got my third shipment.which means I’ve used it for three months now. I did have to send in pictures twice. But the last time I just had to answer some email questions about the condition of my face and whether I was happy with my mix. 
I also had to do a phone call before I got my first shipment where she explained what my ingredients would be. 
I’m happy with it. I’m 50 so I’m not expecting miracles. But I could tell it evened out some skin tone issues. 
I went through Angie Hot and Flashy? Not sure if you’ve heard of her. She’s a 58 year old YouTube personality who does great reviews on all sorts of products. She’s very upfront with what she uses and the work she has done. Anyway, she had a code to try the first month for $4.95 and she recommends it highly. And I trust her. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Ok, this is good info. Thank you. I actually have an rx for tretinoin already. But I feel like the 0.025 is too strong (or maybe just not in the right base?), so was thinking maybe trying curology for a lower strength. BUT, I do have tretinoin already, and I do have azelaic acid from the ordinary already too, so maybe this isn’t worth my time or money...🤔

4 minutes ago, Ordinary Shoes said:

If you already have a prescription for Tretinoin then I don't know how you would benefit from Curology. Could you ask your dermatologist for a lower strength prescription? 

0.025 is the lowest—unless you go to a special compounding pharmacy. But curology mixes it in a lower strength. I also wondered if maybe having the three things in one might be better/simplify things 🤷🏼‍♀️

• Like 2

I have been using it for a year now, based on Hot and Flashy's recommendation on YouTube.  The Rx I had started with low tretinoin, azelaic acid...   I recently changed my formula to address areas that concerned me.  The benefits have been great, and my consultant has been very helpful.  She suggested a supplement to assist with my skin goals and she was absolutely right about it.  

When asking if it's worth it, It takes forever to get a derm consult through my provider, and when I do, it takes about 3 months to get an appointment.  Curology just cuts out the runaround.  I've been very happy with it.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I just signed up! I thought I might as well try it, since the first box is only $5 and I’m not happy with my current skin care line-up. My pcm gives me an rx for tretinoin, and my insurance covers it, but I’m not actually seeing a dermatologist to address other issues I’m unhappy with, so why not give this a try?? If I don’t like it, I can cancel. 

• Like 1

My daughter (21) has been using it.  Not as consistently as suggested, but we have seen improvements.  Well, along with using more disposable masks (and only using them once).  She works with elder care so wears masks daily.  She cancelled after the first paid month since she wasn't using them fast enough to need more for a while.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, IfIOnly said:

How much are you paying for your Curology with Tretinion? What is the base like compared to prescription cream base? What is the packaging like? Is it a tube? Thinking of switching. Thank you!

I haven’t gotten mine yet, but it should be here within the week and I can report back! The first month is shipping only, so about $5. After that, I think it’s about $20 a month, but they send you a ‘large’ bottle that lasts for two months, so $40, and free shipping. I’m curious to see how it compares. I have tretinoin cream already, and The Ordinary’s azelaic acid. My curology formula will be those two ingredients (lower strengths on both though) and clindamycin (which I’ve never used). 

• Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, mmasc said:

I haven’t gotten mine yet, but it should be here within the week and I can report back! The first month is shipping only, so about $5. After that, I think it’s about $20 a month, but they send you a ‘large’ bottle that lasts for two months, so $40, and free shipping. I’m curious to see how it compares. I have tretinoin cream already, and The Ordinary’s azelaic acid. My curology formula will be those two ingredients (lower strengths on both though) and clindamycin (which I’ve never used). 

I would really appreciate hearing about your experience. Thank you! I've never heard of azelaic acid or clindamycin and will do some research. I'm pretty happy with my prescription strength. I can do the .05 just fine (thick, oily skin) but prefer to stay with the .025. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, IfIOnly said:

I would really appreciate hearing about your experience. Thank you! I've never heard of azelaic acid or clindamycin and will do some research. I'm pretty happy with my prescription strength. I can do the .05 just fine (thick, oily skin) but prefer to stay with the .025. 

Sure! I’ll report back about the container and consistency once I get it. If I can remember I’ll come back in a month or so with another report. 

The curology survey seems thorough and does specifically ask what strength (if any) you use or have used of tretinoin and if you want tretinoin in your formula, so I’m sure you’d be able to get the strength you want on that. The other two things they put in vary based on your skin needs. (And they’re all listed on the website for you to see). I love azelaic acid, so I’m glad they added that to mine. My current RX  tretinoin cream is 0.025%, but I have sensitive, mostly dry skin and requested a lower strength. Curology put 0.01% in, so I’m excited to try that since my skin wasn’t too happy with the higher one. 

Edited by mmasc
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, mmasc said:

Sure! I’ll report back about the container and consistency once I get it. If I can remember I’ll come back in a month or so with another report. 

The curology survey seems thorough and does specifically ask what strength (if any) you use or have used of tretinoin and if you want tretinoin in your formula, so I’m sure you’d be able to get the strength you want on that. The other two things they put in vary based on your skin needs. (And they’re all listed on the website for you to see). I love azelaic acid, so I’m glad they added that to mine. My current RX  tretinoin cream is 0.025%, but I have sensitive, mostly dry skin and requested a lower strength. Curology put 0.01% in, so I’m excited to try that since my skin wasn’t too happy with the higher one. 

I think it's pretty cool that you can customize the tretinoin too. It looks like I'd need drop down to 2 or move up to 3.  I'll have to think about that. I was just watching a video of a YouTuber using just .02 Curology and only 3 nights a week. In a year she's had some great results. Hm.

Edited by IfIOnly

10 minutes ago, klmama said:

Have any of you tried Curology with a teen?  Mine wanted to do it, but I thought seeing the local dermatologist was a better idea; unfortunately,it's not helping the way dc had hoped, almost a year later.  

What product does her derm have her on?

Dc spent months on tretinoin, which helped quite a bit, but dc was unhappy with some continuing issues.  The doctor switched dc to tazarotene with a clindamycin/benzoyl peroxide spot treatment, but that's not worked at all and now dc's skin looks much like it did before starting tretinoin almost a year ago.  It's going to be a while before dc can get in to see the doctor again, so dc is switching back to the tretinoin, since it worked better than the latest  products.  The doctor said the only other option she had for dc was Accutane.   

• Like 1

On 2/4/2021 at 1:20 PM, IfIOnly said:

How much are you paying for your Curology with Tretinion? What is the base like compared to prescription cream base? What is the packaging like? Is it a tube? Thinking of switching. Thank you!

Ok, I’m reporting back because my stuff came in the mail today! The package is a stand up, white opaque, thick plastic bottle with a pump dispenser. The consistency of mine seems to be a bit thinner than my rx tretinoin cream. It comes out white, and then rubs in to a clear, thin consistency. It seems nice, but definitely not ‘creamy’ to me or thick at all. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I'm loving Curology and my skin is looking fabulous. Thank you for the recommendations.

PM routine:

Cleanse with Nuetrogena Ultra light cleansing oil on dry skin, add water, lather, rinse. Apply Tretinion 20 minutes or more later. Moisture 20 or so minutes after.

AM routine:

Double cleanse with Nuetrogena Ultra Light Cleansing Oil followed by Nuetrogena Hydro Boost gentle cleansing lotion (fragrance free!) Moisturizer with spf followed by Elta tinted mineral sunscreen.

Skin is glowing!

• Like 3

So glad it’s working for you! I like mine too, it’s definitely good for brightening and glowing. Not seeing any real improvement on wrinkles though. I’m going to try to up the retin a a bit. 

DS18 is using it for acne and I’m very pleased with the results he’s getting. The acne is clearing up nicely. He does have some scarring though. Now that ache is clearing up, I can see that.  So, we’ll see if continued use helps that. 

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Toocrazy!! said:

So glad it’s working for you! I like mine too, it’s definitely good for brightening and glowing. Not seeing any real improvement on wrinkles though. I’m going to try to up the retin a a bit. 

DS18 is using it for acne and I’m very pleased with the results he’s getting. The acne is clearing up nicely. He does have some scarring though. Now that ache is clearing up, I can see that.  So, we’ll see if continued use helps that. 

No wrinkles improvement here either, but I probably haven't been back on Tretinion long enough to see results. I was only doing .025 a bit before Curology and am at .035 with it. I'm upping .005 each month until I get to .1.

Edited by IfIOnly

29 minutes ago, Toocrazy!! said:

I’m going to try too. But I just saw the email that my package shipped, and it didn’t ask me for any changes. So, I better make those now before I forget and they ship another one😀

Yes, it's tricky catching the next order! I just realized though that now that I'm getting a two month supply (free trial was just a month's worth), I'll only be able to up .005 every two months. Hm, maybe I'll do a .01 jump with every order instead. I love that with Curology, you can go up more slowly than starting with .025, jumping to .05 and then have to go all the way up to .1. 

• Like 1

I considered using Curology last year after seeing a video from Angie on Hot and Flashy. However, my dermatologist is pretty easy to get an appointment with. The practice deals mostly with medical dermatology but they do sell some prescription anti-aging formulations they mix themselves. The cream I have from them comes in a 30ml pump bottle and contains 0.05% tretinoin, hyaluronic acid 0.5% and Niacinamide 4%. Once you get the prescription you don't have to see them again outside your regular scheduled skin check up, which is every 6 months. I'm happy with it. I don't remember the cost of Curology but I pay $40 for a bottle that last 4-6 months and insurance covers it. I use it every other night and use a something different on the opposite nights. The only reason I don't use it nightly is the serum I use, Missha Time Revolution Night Repair, has some ingredients that shouldn't be used with retinoids. 

I think if you can't get it from your dermatologist or if you're going to pay out of pocket one way or the other, Curology seems like a good choice. And you don't have to go in an office.

• Like 2

I can go to the doctor for free, and actually get tretinoin for free with my insurance, but the strength just would NOT work for me no matter how many times I tried or how slowly I went. I gave Curology a try solely because of the lower percentage of tretinoin that’s available. And it’s working fabulously! I’m so glad I tried it and will definitely continue. It’s worth the $40 every two months for me. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Oh, yes! I'm starting to notice wrinkle improvement now that I've been using it under my eyes, on lids, and above lip for a good month or do. I  even apply two thin layers above lips. I'm noticing most improvement on lids and above lips. Crows feet have softened a bit. My kids are extremely creepy and hooded. Definite lifting and smoothing happening there.

• Like 1