Menu

Maybe TMI? Why, in the day or two before my period...

Kanin

... do I have to PEE all the time? Actually, it's more like I feel like I need to pee all the time. It's so annoying!

It's not a UTI, and only shows up around when Aunt Flo is due, and goes away afterwards. It seems to be happening more as I get older, not less. 

I'm hoping it's normal. But it's really distracting for 24-36 hours!

For the same reason you need to pee more in early pregnancy- higher progesterone balance.  Btw I’ve found Diet Coke irritates my bladder and makes me feel like I need to pee more often. Is there any chance you drink more of something on the day or two beforehand?  I know I drink more caffeine when I find the kids especially trying. 

• Thanks 1

Well I have had this same sensation.   I also have irritable bowel.  Hormones will slow down your bowels.  So I upped some of my IBS stuff (probiotics, probiotics, natural calm) and try to keep eating clean through cravings and it is much better.  I can tell when I slip.  Just a thought.  I’ve had 2 c-sections and that plumbing just seems a little more intertwined.  I know it’s counter intuitive to think about low grade constipation when you feel like you need to pee but there is definitely a correlation in my case.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Kanin said:

... do I have to PEE all the time? Actually, it's more like I feel like I need to pee all the time. It's so annoying!

It's not a UTI, and only shows up around when Aunt Flo is due, and goes away afterwards. It seems to be happening more as I get older, not less. 

I'm hoping it's normal. But it's really distracting for 24-36 hours!

I think it’s because everything gets heavier and sits lower so it puts pressure down there

• Like 2

3 hours ago, katilac said:

When I did low carb for the first time, I discovered that my feeling-like-I-need-to-pee feeling correlates to eating more carbs. The fewer carbs I eat, the less I need to pee 😅

So, do you possibly eat more comfort food/carbs when you're PMSing?

Interesting, it’s exactly the opposite for me. 

1 hour ago, Ausmumof3 said:

I think it’s because everything gets heavier and sits lower so it puts pressure down there

This is true.  Your cervix drops when you're about to have your period, so of course your uterus does too.  Leaving less space for bladder.  I never thought of that before.  But I've seen it in nursing school when I did ultrasounds measuring bladder capacity for surgical patients.

Edited by Katy
  • Like 1

Wow, thank you, everyone! I feel much better just knowing it's likely not something crazy, except for maybe bladder endometriosis... hoping it's not that. I'll try to lay off the coffee and high carb foods. I do get hypoglycemic if I don't eat fats and protein with meals and snacks, and I have been eating too many high-carb comfort foods. Thanks everyone! You rock 😎