Menu

Post your favorite book recommendations for tweens and teens

Excelsior! Academy

I am compiling a list for my kiddos and plan to wrap them blind date with a book style.  What are your favorites?  I'd like it to appeal to a wide range of ages.  My youngest is 10 and the oldest that will be doing this reading challenge is 17.  You get bonus points if the book can be read by/to and appeal to both.  

Are you still looking for options for all kids 10-17?  Have you considered RedwallHarry Potter?  The Narnia series?  Flora and Ulysses by Kate DiCamillo is a fun, quick read (she also authored The Tale of Despereaux and Because of Winn Dixie).  The Great Turkey Walk by Kathleen Karr is another easy read with a lot of humor. 

Edited by klmama

On 1/6/2021 at 8:09 PM, kristin0713 said:

For the 10yo, The Wild Robot. It is one of the only books my DS has said that he liked and actually read enthusiastically. 

Both my 9 year old daughter and my 13 year old son liked this one. (we got it in audio form.)

Both of my kids also like the Treasure Hunters series by James Patterson and Chris Grabenstein Here s book 1: Treasure Hunters (Treasure Hunters, 1): Patterson, James, Grabenstein, Chris, Shulman, Mark, Neufeld, Juliana: 8601422211528: AmazonSmile: Books

They also like Wizard for Hire by Obert Skye Wizard for Hire - Kindle edition by Skye, Obert. Children Kindle eBooks @ AmazonSmile.  (A totally new author to us but it seems he's written quite a bit?)

They also both love the Wilderking Triology by Jonathan Rogers (First book Bark of the Bog Owl: The Bark of the Bog Owl (The Wilderking Trilogy Book 1) - Kindle edition by Rogers, Jonathan, Goolsby, Abe. Children Kindle eBooks @ AmazonSmile.)

Edited by vonfirmath

The Wings of Fire series

The Dragon Slipper series

Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of NIMH

The Pippi Longstocking series

The Princess Tales series by Levine

The Catwings series

The Witch of Blackbird Pond

From the Mixed of Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler

The Whatever After series

The Secret Garden

The Little Princess

Edited by MercyA

The Witch of Blackbird Pond

Extremely poorly-researched. It's not historically accurate in the slightest, and repeats a lot of tired myths as "fact". Don't recommend this - people get their ideas of history from the media they were exposed to as children, and it can be hard to dislodge those falsehoods later on.

• Thanks 1

My ds got a LOT of laughs from Here Comes Trouble by Kate Hattemer. Also Camp Shady Crook by Lee Gjertsen Malone scored big. I think both may be newer books, and he was using audio. Both explore these ideas of doing wrong, how we make choices. It seems to be where ds is right now.