Menu

January Well-Trained Bodies

Soror

To the beach again yesterday to NW. I didn't manage to do yoga - a cup of Rooibos and a Poirot repeat on telly were more my speed after work. Oh, and eating everything in sight. Long week.

Today it will be a dog walk on the beach and, I hope, a longer yoga. We are due for a thaw tomorrow, so I should be safe to walk locally next week. 

Time to go and re-read The Waste Land. It could not be more opaque to me.

The advantage of living far north is seeing lots of great sunsets in winter, or in this case sunrises.

20210109_081527.jpg

• Like 6

11 hours ago, FarmingMomma said:

My son and I decided to try some nighttime snowshoeing.  It was fun but creepy because it was cloudy and completely pitch black except for our headlamps.  I think it'll be really fun on a bright moonlit night. I think we thoroughly wore out our dogs, especially the fat corgi...she sinks into the snow on every step :laugh: Now on to yoga and a shower and bed!

Glad you enjoyed your night adventure. Snowshoeing is tough on dogs when the snow is deep. My old lab got too tired of breaking trail in front so he walked behind me and kept stepping on my snowshoe. That got really heavy fast! 😂

I LOVE skiing, snowshoeing and hiking at night. Well, "night" can be 4 - 5 pm in the winter as it gets dark so early. Snow on the ground really brightens things up. 

5 hours ago, Laura Corin said:

To the beach again yesterday to NW. I didn't manage to do yoga - a cup of Rooibos and a Poirot repeat on telly were more my speed after work. Oh, and eating everything in sight. Long week.

Today it will be a dog walk on the beach and, I hope, a longer yoga. We are due for a thaw tomorrow, so I should be safe to walk locally next week. 

The advantage of living far north is seeing lots of great sunsets in winter, or in this case sunrises.

20210109_081527.jpg

That is a gorgeous sky!!  I love the sun rises and sunsets in the winter, too. 

I especially love a big tree silhouette in front of the sunset. A big pine with a crazy shape is so cool. 

• Like 4

A cozy Saturday morning, post-yoga, post-mocha, visualizing Corgis in the snow (we need a picture!) and a beautiful Scottish sunrise. Complete with cat on the yoga mat by the fire and a snoozing lab by my side. It's good to have some relaxation time after an intense week.

My extra activity yesterday was just a 15 min treadmill walk. I do like the idea of yoga after work, but especially on a Friday, there's an inertia barrier I am failing to make it over. I did do the most recently posted day of Adriene's 30 days of yoga this morning--Day 8, theme word snuggle. Needless to say, it wasn't a super active yoga session! But extra activity today will be a dog walk.

• Like 5

It's another awesome ski/skate/hiking day!! Sun and below freezing. I have to give my new game of Ice Pickle Ball a rest as it aggravates my deep breathing injury. The arm swinging motion is rough on those muscles.

I went for another nice long ski again ending at the river. It was full of activity; wind sail skiing, skiing, snowshoeing, skating, ice fishing, pulling kids on sleds, and one brave guy driving his truck onto the ice. I took a photo of the "King among Princes" of the ice fishing accommodations (trailer vs tent). 😄

IMG_20210109_114827897.jpg

IMG_20210109_114605973.jpg

IMG_20210109_114204780.jpg

Edited by wintermom
  • Like 4

Day 44/80: cardio flow.  Hoping to do some cross-country skiing today

5 hours ago, Ali in OR said:

A cozy Saturday morning, post-yoga, post-mocha, visualizing Corgis in the snow (we need a picture!)

I'll try to remember to take the phone with me to get some photos :) 

Update: no pics yet, but we did spend a couple of hours cross-country skiing!

Edited by FarmingMomma
  • Like 4

My dd and I went back to the river I'd been to this morning and it was even more active. Everyone was distancing as there was so much space. There were more tent, snowmobiles out on the ice, a mini-snow plow making a big skating rink and a few more sails & skiers. Dd and skated on the big rink, I skied a little, and we enjoyed the sunset at 4:30 pm. 😉

• Like 5

This week was WAY better than last but a far cry from where I like to be.

This week felt like about 2 weeks I couldn't keep track of the days, too many things going on.

I have no idea what I want to do re: fitness. I do well with a plan and schedule. I don't have one. My shoulder is still sore even though I've not done strength work in weeks. I think I need to take it easy on it, I really need PT but am not comfortable with going now, yet I cry to think of all the hard-won strength I'm losing.

And with coming out of 2 weeks off in addition to not feeling well my schedule is a train wreck. 

We've got to do better with school too.

Maybe I'll write myself an actual schedule just to get back in the habit. 

I'm feeling better. Stomach feels fine. Energy is improved, not 100% but better, hopefully that continues to improve. Motivation is not great at all. 

I also need some very basic goals. I know I need to go easy but it is a double edged sword- too much won't get done because I'm out of practice and not physically up for it but too little feels like I'm doing nothing and pointless.

• Like 5

Doing my "weekly" check-in a little early because it's easier for me to remember to do them on a weekend. I've done pretty well this week.

• Run Across America Winter Warmup - Logged 30.3K this week for a current total of 44K towards my goal of 106K this month.
  • Year of the Ox - (This is where I'm behind.) Logged 16.61 miles of my 30 mile goal for the week. Obviously, I have some catching up to do.
  • YesFit Great American Adventure - Logged just over 58 miles so far and am currently "exploring" Aberdeen, MD.
  • Daily PT Exercise - Done every day this week.
  • M/W/F Cardio - I adjusted down to 20+ minutes from 30, mostly because I just don't have enough time to do the walk and the PT and a full half hour before work. With that caveat, goal met for this week.
  • T/Th Arm Work - I've decided to count PT appointments on Thursday as checking off this box. So, goal met for this week.
  • Food/Weight - I'm not doing especially well with my goal of including a wider variety of fruits and veggies, but I've done a pretty good job of being intentional about just putting more produce in our daily meals. Last night, for example, my husband had requested the seasoned black beans and grilled polenta thing I do occasionally. I did, but then served it with diced tomatoes and bell peppers to sprinkle on top and baked sweet potatoes on the side. I've also been consistent about logging food with the Fitbit app. And, perhaps best of all, the scale is finally budging back in the right direction. I lost two pounds this week, another eight to go. 
  • Like 4

4 hours ago, Soror said:

I do well with a plan and schedule. I don't have one. My shoulder is still sore even though I've not done strength work in weeks. I think I need to take it easy on it, I really need PT but am not comfortable with going now, yet I cry to think of all the hard-won strength I'm losing.

And with coming out of 2 weeks off in addition to not feeling well my schedule is a train wreck. 

I'm glad to hear you're feeling somewhat better.

I totally related on the PT thing. It made me nervous at first to go, but I have found it to be so helpful. When my insurance pulled the plug on the additional sessions my ortho wanted me to do for my arm, I didn't worry too much. I was convinced I knew what I needed to do and could manage it at home, but I felt the regression within just a few weeks. Fortunately, with a new primary care doctor and a new insurance plan, I've got a new series of twice-weekly sessions to get me back on track.

I also do best with a plan and schedule, by the way, which is one of the reasons I find the assorted challenges I participate in (as well as these accountability threads here) to be so helpful. Totally self-imposed, but I am motivated by being able to check off boxes.

I hope you find something that works for you!

Edited by Jenny in Florida
  • Like 4

@Soror I'm glad you are feeling a bit better.

I didn't have time for a beach walk today but enjoyed a longer yoga.  The longer stretch hold time that Kassandra tends to do is really good for me, I think. My hamstrings and hips are feeling much better. I feel as if I'm making progress.

Apple porridge plus yoghurt. Leftover chickpea and parsnip curry with fresh wholegrain bread. Marinated tofu, Brussels sprouts and shallots with soba noodles and green beans.

• Like 4

11 hours ago, Soror said:

This week was WAY better than last but a far cry from where I like to be.

This week felt like about 2 weeks I couldn't keep track of the days, too many things going on.

I have no idea what I want to do re: fitness. I do well with a plan and schedule. I don't have one. My shoulder is still sore even though I've not done strength work in weeks. I think I need to take it easy on it, I really need PT but am not comfortable with going now, yet I cry to think of all the hard-won strength I'm losing.

I'm feeling better. Stomach feels fine. Energy is improved, not 100% but better, hopefully that continues to improve. Motivation is not great at all. 

I also need some very basic goals. I know I need to go easy but it is a double edged sword- too much won't get done because I'm out of practice and not physically up for it but too little feels like I'm doing nothing and pointless.

If you have a PT you've used in the past and know the set up, you could phone and find out what precautions they are taking. My ds went to PT up until a couple weeks ago and they did masks, thorough cleaning between clients, minimal people in the building, covid screening before each visit. The benefits definitely outweighed the risks for my ds.

• Like 3

Kids and I are participating in a Winter Hiking Challenge, which coincides nicely with our usual Sunday afternoon family hike, so we got Hike #1 done today. 

This week's personal mini-challenge is to eat & photograph 3 different-colored veggies at least 5 of the 7 days. For the purposes of the challenge, green comes in many shades 😉 but "mixed greens" count as only 1 veggie. I have red peppers in the fridge for snacks, and chicken-veggie-noodle soup on the lunch menu!

• Like 5

On 1/8/2021 at 10:27 PM, FarmingMomma said:

My son and I decided to try some nighttime snowshoeing.  It was fun but creepy because it was cloudy and completely pitch black except for our headlamps.  I think it'll be really fun on a bright moonlit night. I think we thoroughly wore out our dogs, especially the fat corgi...she sinks into the snow on every step :laugh: Now on to yoga and a shower and bed!

Wow!! Photos would be awesome.

On 1/9/2021 at 3:56 AM, Laura Corin said:

20210109_081527.jpg

Okay, wait, one person live in snow country and the other at the beach. Seriously jealous. Gorgeous sunset. Thank you for sharing, that is stunning.

On 1/9/2021 at 1:02 PM, wintermom said:

It's another awesome ski/skate/hiking day!! Sun and below freezing. I have to give my new game of Ice Pickle Ball a rest as it aggravates my deep breathing injury. The arm swinging motion is rough on those muscles.

I went for another nice long ski again ending at the river. It was full of activity; wind sail skiing, skiing, snowshoeing, skating, ice fishing, pulling kids on sleds, and one brave guy driving his truck onto the ice. I took a photo of the "King among Princes" of the ice fishing accommodations (trailer vs tent). 😄

Amazing!

7 hours ago, Jenny in Florida said:

Doing my "weekly" check-in a little early because it's easier for me to remember to do them on a weekend. I've done pretty well this week.

• Run Across America Winter Warmup - Logged 30.3K this week for a current total of 44K towards my goal of 106K this month.
  • Year of the Ox - (This is where I'm behind.) Logged 16.61 miles of my 30 mile goal for the week. Obviously, I have some catching up to do.
  • YesFit Great American Adventure - Logged just over 58 miles so far and am currently "exploring" Aberdeen, MD.
  • Daily PT Exercise - Done every day this week.
  • M/W/F Cardio - I adjusted down to 20+ minutes from 30, mostly because I just don't have enough time to do the walk and the PT and a full half hour before work. With that caveat, goal met for this week.
  • T/Th Arm Work - I've decided to count PT appointments on Thursday as checking off this box. So, goal met for this week.
  • Food/Weight - I'm not doing especially well with my goal of including a wider variety of fruits and veggies, but I've done a pretty good job of being intentional about just putting more produce in our daily meals. Last night, for example, my husband had requested the seasoned black beans and grilled polenta thing I do occasionally. I did, but then served it with diced tomatoes and bell peppers to sprinkle on top and baked sweet potatoes on the side. I've also been consistent about logging food with the Fitbit app. And, perhaps best of all, the scale is finally budging back in the right direction. I lost two pounds this week, another eight to go. 

Congratulations re: food. That is huge! I wanted to share: Costco's Kirkland Stir Fry (in the frozen section with frozen strawberries) is a phenomenal way to get more veggies. I have a cup of brown rice with three handfuls of the stir fry, cook with low salt soy sauce and it's great. And the bag is huge so really lasts.

5 hours ago, wintermom said:

I went for a ski this morning down to the river again. It was amazing. Now I'm off to skate with ds and our friends. We're so blessed to have this wonderful weather for outdoor activities considering everything indoors is closed. No cabin fever! 😉

So cool.

I'm still doing my indoor recumbent bike -- I did level 6 for 36 minutes and then a cool down. Trying to establish the habit again.

I love this group!

Wendy

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, Alicia64 said:

I'm still doing my indoor recumbent bike -- I did level 6 for 36 minutes and then a cool down. Trying to establish the habit again.

I love this group!

I love it, too. I've been encouraging my husband to try and find something comparable to help keep him accountable (to himself, but with help) for some of his own wellness goals. He has no tolerance at all for anything "cute" or "invasive" or that tries too hard, so I'm not holding my breath. But I have told him several times what a difference having this connection makes in my life.

Good for you on the bike! I was under orders from my primary care doctor to stay off my stationary bike entirely for at least a week, then bump myself all the way down to no resistance at all for short rides to see how much my knees can actually handle. I have PT tomorrow morning, and I'm planning to discuss with the physical therapist whether it's okay for me to get back on the bike and, if so, whether the doctor's advice is the right way to go.

• Like 5

Hey ladies, I'm so excited and I know that you'd all understand. I just booked (and it was tough to get) a winter camping experience for the end of the month. It's for my dh, myself and our 4 dc. We'll ski and snowshoe into this cabin for one night. We'll enjoy the skiing, snowshoeing, maybe skating on the nearby lake for the day, spend the night in the rustic cabin (no water or electricity). I haven't done this type of activity in over 25 years, so I'm thrilled to share this experience with the family. This will be our cabin:

Philippe_Cabin.JPG

• Like 7

18 hours ago, Jenny in Florida said:

I'm glad to hear you're feeling somewhat better.

I totally related on the PT thing. It made me nervous at first to go, but I have found it to be so helpful. When my insurance pulled the plug on the additional sessions my ortho wanted me to do for my arm, I didn't worry too much. I was convinced I knew what I needed to do and could manage it at home, but I felt the regression within just a few weeks. Fortunately, with a new primary care doctor and a new insurance plan, I've got a new series of twice-weekly sessions to get me back on track.

I also do best with a plan and schedule, by the way, which is one of the reasons I find the assorted challenges I participate in (as well as these accountability threads here) to be so helpful. Totally self-imposed, but I am motivated by being able to check off boxes.

I hope you find something that works for you!

Thank you, for the encouragement!

11 hours ago, wintermom said:

If you have a PT you've used in the past and know the set up, you could phone and find out what precautions they are taking. My ds went to PT up until a couple weeks ago and they did masks, thorough cleaning between clients, minimal people in the building, covid screening before each visit. The benefits definitely outweighed the risks for my ds.

That's the thing the PT is attached to the clinic I visited, and I could see the PT being very lax with masking. I do not have much faith she would be safe. 

9 hours ago, wintermom said:

Hey ladies, I'm so excited and I know that you'd all understand. I just booked (and it was tough to get) a winter camping experience for the end of the month. It's for my dh, myself and our 4 dc. We'll ski and snowshoe into this cabin for one night. We'll enjoy the skiing, snowshoeing, maybe skating on the nearby lake for the day, spend the night in the rustic cabin (no water or electricity). I haven't done this type of activity in over 25 years, so I'm thrilled to share this experience with the family. This will be our cabin:

Philippe_Cabin.JPG

Enjoy, sounds like a great trip./

On 1/8/2021 at 1:40 PM, Alicia64 said:

@Lucy the ValiantI also love the Atomic habits book. But also, do you know about the book by Charles Duhigg called The Power of Habit. So, so good. I reread it every other year. That and Atomic.

@Sororwhat is a homemade larabar? Sounds awesome!

https://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/chocolate-covered-recipes/fudge-baby-mania/

Here ya go!

I loved both of those books as well, it would be good to reread them./

10 hours ago, Lucy the Valiant said:

Kids and I are participating in a Winter Hiking Challenge, which coincides nicely with our usual Sunday afternoon family hike, so we got Hike #1 done today. 

This week's personal mini-challenge is to eat & photograph 3 different-colored veggies at least 5 of the 7 days. For the purposes of the challenge, green comes in many shades 😉 but "mixed greens" count as only 1 veggie. I have red peppers in the fridge for snacks, and chicken-veggie-noodle soup on the lunch menu!

Great challenges! What is the winter hiking challenge?>

• Like 3

My activity yesterday was cleaning my neglected kitchen. It should have been done on break but it didn't happen with not feeling well. I cleaned out the frig, microwave, and the main drawers I use. I pulled out the stove and frig and swept and mopped under them and washed down the sides. I swept the whole kitchen and mopped it on my hands and knees. 

When the kitchen is clean my day goes much more smoothly. I'm feeling like I'm starting this week much less behind. My energy and motivation are improving bit by bit. I have some modest goals set for this week.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Soror said:

That's the thing the PT is attached to the clinic I visited, and I could see the PT being very lax with masking. I do not have much faith she would be safe. 

Enjoy, sounds like a great trip./

That's a shame. Can you go to a different PT with better covid precautions? 

Thank! I think it will be a memorable adventure for the family.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Soror said:

My activity yesterday was cleaning my neglected kitchen.

This has been on my weekend chore list for a couple of weeks now but it still didn't happen this weekend. I overestimate how much cleaning time I have! I got a good chunk of the house done and floors mopped, but only did a a basic wipe down of the kitchen. I'm going to try to get the pantry and fridge cleaned out midweek; maybe get little pieces done here and there with the goal of the whole thing being done by the end of next weekend. No really, I mean it this time!

Walking workout done this morning. Will do something after school too--either yoga or walk with dog I think.

• Like 2

Managed a good brisk walk at lunchtime up the valley through the woods.  Today was thaw day.  It's now raining hard, then is due to freeze overnight.  I have a hard yoga session scheduled - I'm trying to raise the enthusiasm.  I have no excuse, because Husband is cooking Chinese food for dinner and Son is clearing up afterwards.  So all I need to do for housework is mop the bathroom floors today.  Plenty of time for yoga.

Grilled veg porridge plus yoghurt.  Mushrooms, eggs, cheese, apple, pear (big lunch).  Something Chinese with Chicken.

Eta okay, that was hard but good. I'll be ready for bed early.

Edited by Laura Corin
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, Laura Corin said:

Managed a good brisk walk at lunchtime up the valley through the woods.  Today was thaw day.  It's now raining hard, then is due to freeze overnight.  I have a hard yoga session scheduled - I'm trying to raise the enthusiasm.  I have no excuse, because Husband is cooking Chinese food for dinner and Son is clearing up afterwards.  So all I need to do for housework is mop the bathroom floors today.  Plenty of time for yoga.

Grilled veg porridge plus yoghurt.  Mushrooms, eggs, cheese, apple, pear (big lunch).  Something Chinese with Chicken.

Hey, you got it done! That is hard when you aren't feeling motivated.

2 minutes ago, Dreamergal said:

We were promised snow by the weather people, got flurries that barely made the ground wet. Tons of kids disappointed. Me, not so much. Sat in front of the fake fireplace electric heater thingy and was toasty warm.

I don't remember anything of note I did this weekend.

BW danced today. Moving TaiChi class to Friday.

@wintermom The cottage looks like a little fairy tale one. Hope you have a good time !

@Soror Ask for telemed PT if you can, my DH had to go for PT last year unexpectedly and because COVID cases were high in our area, they offered it to him and sent equipment for him too. 

Have a good one !

I don't think it is an option since they have PT through dh's work, any PT not through there is OOP. To make it more of a sticky situation the PT is the wife of a guy dh works with, I really don't want to call to say I don't want to go to PT since I seen her rarely wearing a mask and if it was on it wasn't worn correctly. The nurse and the dr at the clinic wore those correctly, but not her. I could see her as the clinic is attached to the PT office.

5 hours ago, Ali in OR said:

This has been on my weekend chore list for a couple of weeks now but it still didn't happen this weekend. I overestimate how much cleaning time I have! I got a good chunk of the house done and floors mopped, but only did a a basic wipe down of the kitchen. I'm going to try to get the pantry and fridge cleaned out midweek; maybe get little pieces done here and there with the goal of the whole thing being done by the end of next weekend. No really, I mean it this time!

Walking workout done this morning. Will do something after school too--either yoga or walk with dog I think.

I know, it always takes longer than you think too. Doing it a bit at a time is a good plan.

8 hours ago, wintermom said:

That's a shame. Can you go to a different PT with better covid precautions? 

Thank! I think it will be a memorable adventure for the family.

The PT through dh's work is covered, if I go elsewhere I have to meet my high deductible which I'd rather not do, we've had so many expenses lately.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Morning Yoga w/ Cassandra- 12 minutes.

15-20 minute walk

I'm aiming for this 5 days a week and to add in a VERY short strength work on Tues/Fri. Just 1 set of a few different exercises. I actually felt I could do more today but it has been nearly a month since I had much energy and I do not want to over do it. 

My sleep has been so much better. I'm guessing my thyroid being low was the biggest issue with the insomnia. I'm still taking some melatonin but have been lowering down my dose. Even with the melatonin it was impossible for me to sleep all night. I've actually been sleeping until my alarm or nearly to it most days.

Today I went through my journal for the year to update exercise and book logs. I neglected both at the end of the year and won't be able to fill in everything but I was happy to at least do what I could and get some closure to move forward to the new year.

• Like 4

Jumping back in after avoiding these threads for ages now.
Just got my first workout of the year in... getting an elliptical into the house and up the stairs, lol. The pieces won’t get put together until tomorrow, but they’re unpacked and ready to go.

Some basic weights are coming in later this week.

I’m nervous. I haven’t felt THIS out of shape in... probably a decade, when ds was an inconsolable MSPI/reflux infant and all I could do was lay down with him on top of me until he was finally diagnosed and his little body healed. And then I did little but cuddle him for months after that because I was just so happy he was okay.  In total, almost the same amount of time that I’ve been lazy in near-quarantine!

It’s going to be a slow and awkward beginning over here, but it’s a beginning. And I’m throwing away most of the leftover Christmas chocolate tomorrow, lol.

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, Carrie12345 said:

Just got my first workout of the year in... getting an elliptical into the house and up the stairs, lol. The pieces won’t get put together until tomorrow, but they’re unpacked and ready to go.

I’m nervous. I haven’t felt THIS out of shape in... probably a decade, when ds was an inconsolable MSPI/reflux infant and all I could do was lay down with him on top of me until he was finally diagnosed and his little body healed. And then I did little but cuddle him for months after that because I was just so happy he was okay.  In total, almost the same amount of time that I’ve been lazy in near-quarantine!

It’s going to be a slow and awkward beginning over here, but it’s a beginning. And I’m throwing away most of the leftover Christmas chocolate tomorrow, lol.

Great to see you!  The first step is the hardest, then it's way easier. I still have one Christmas chocolate bar to go, then I'm done. 😉 

• Like 3

I finally have an actual contract to work as an evaluator for pay!!! It's a really great opportunity, too. I'll be evaluating the Mental Health and Wellness on-line hub at my university. It's a big deal, as this hub services all the staff and students at a major university. @Laura Corin I may be picking your brain to see what your uni offers on their website. 

I went for a skate ski down on the river with ds and his buddy - they played 'stick ball' NOT hockey. 😉  It was overcast with some snow flurries making it a little bleak. I found it somehow beautiful. Almost like being on another planet. 

IMG_20210111_151347746.jpg

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, Lucy the Valiant said:

Thanks! I wish my state had something similar but maybe the girls and I will just follow along with this one. Although hiking to an ocean or an open summit is not possible here! Nor is a snoeshoe hike 🙂  But we could do several of the others. Thanks!

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, Carrie12345 said:

Welcome back! Getting started is the hardest part you know. Have you made a plan or goals yet? 

@wintermom I'm so tired of not seeing the sun, it is not feeling beautiful in the least at this point. I don't know the last time we've had so little sun for so long. We're actually supposed to see the sun a couple of days this week, I'm so excited.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Soror said:

@wintermom I'm so tired of not seeing the sun, it is not feeling beautiful in the least at this point. I don't know the last time we've had so little sun for so long. We're actually supposed to see the sun a couple of days this week, I'm so excited.

I've started embracing the wind. Luckily it's not too cold, so it's actually rather refreshing and energizing. There is so much power in the wind. The sun is a wonderful friend, though, and when there are too many days without sun it's pretty rough. Hope you get some great sunshine really soon!

• Like 2

Well done on the job @wintermom. PM me if you want some links to what the uni offers.

Good start @Carrie12345

@FarmingMomma your rest days would wear me out! Cute dogs!

@Soror any time I post a specific workout, it's usually to increase the pressure to get it done. Social embarrassment as a driver.

ETA Re sun: I grew up in the south west of the UK, where the weather comes straight off the Atlantic.  The weather seemed much more consistent: either the day (week) was sunny or it was cloudy.  Here in the north east we seem to get a bit of sun almost every day, which lifts my heart.  Right now, golden morning sun is hitting the sandstone wall and pantiled roof of my neighbour's house.

Edited by Laura Corin
  • Like 3

8 hours ago, Soror said:

Welcome back! Getting started is the hardest part you know. Have you made a plan or goals yet? 

I haven’t set any yet, but I’ve been pondering.

I’m not normally all that into pounds lost, because I’m still always “overweight” at my fittest, but I do think I’m probably going to start with a 10lb loss goal since I am 10lb over where I was 2 years ago (which is my last recorded weight.)

I need to reset habits. I pulled up MyFitnessPal yesterday to be more aware of what I’m eating because I had completely quit giving it any thought at all. Other than planning dinners, I’ve just been putting whatever’s quickest and easiest into my mouth whenever I was hungry. Or not.

I’m very interested to see how I do with planning workouts at home. I am not used to carving out dedicated, no-distraction time for much of anything at home. I’ve always scheduled (even if not at a specific time on the clock) big chunks of time on certain days to drive to the gym, do the only thing one can do at the gym, and drive home. Same thing with physical therapy exercises, which is just terrible, but true. I do an excellent job at $200+/appointment and then forget 75% of the time at home. 😠 

So, for right now, I want to make sure I sweat about every other day and get my diet better balanced. Then I’ll try to break it down to more specific goals. (My physical therapy exercises are pretty much just some of the strength training and stretching I would do in a good workout.)

I do know that one of those will be to strengthen my leg muscles and ligaments, because my daughter would like to take me snowboarding, and there’s just no way I can do that while my crummy knees are “supported” by such deconditioned legs!  So maybe next winter. On the bunny hill, lol.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Carrie12345 said:

I haven’t set any yet, but I’ve been pondering.

I’m not normally all that into pounds lost, because I’m still always “overweight” at my fittest, but I do think I’m probably going to start with a 10lb loss goal since I am 10lb over where I was 2 years ago (which is my last recorded weight.)

I need to reset habits. I pulled up MyFitnessPal yesterday to be more aware of what I’m eating because I had completely quit giving it any thought at all. Other than planning dinners, I’ve just been putting whatever’s quickest and easiest into my mouth whenever I was hungry. Or not.

I’m very interested to see how I do with planning workouts at home. I am not used to carving out dedicated, no-distraction time for much of anything at home. I’ve always scheduled (even if not at a specific time on the clock) big chunks of time on certain days to drive to the gym, do the only thing one can do at the gym, and drive home. Same thing with physical therapy exercises, which is just terrible, but true. I do an excellent job at $200+/appointment and then forget 75% of the time at home. 😠 

So, for right now, I want to make sure I sweat about every other day and get my diet better balanced. Then I’ll try to break it down to more specific goals. (My physical therapy exercises are pretty much just some of the strength training and stretching I would do in a good workout.)

I do know that one of those will be to strengthen my leg muscles and ligaments, because my daughter would like to take me snowboarding, and there’s just no way I can do that while my crummy knees are “supported” by such deconditioned legs!  So maybe next winter. On the bunny hill, lol.

Sweating every day, strengthening legs, and working on habits are good goals. Atomic Habits mentioned above could be good motivation for the new year. 

• Like 2

25 min= half yoga and half strength work;

I just did pull prep and mobility work to take it easy on my shoulder. 

Short walk for later today.

I need to make more lentil soup and bread for lunch, or pick something else to cook I'm out of leftovers.

I think I'll do eggs w/ veggies for breakfast. Dinner will be venison stew.

Food intake has increased the last couple of days with hormonal shifting. Sticking to whole foods but more nuts and carbs than are really needed at times.

Weight is still in maintenance.

Edited by Soror
  • Like 5

@FarmingMomma Great photos! Your dogs are adorable. Do they help with your cattle? Thanks for sharing. You got lots of lovely snow for skiing. I hope we get some more soon. 

@Laura Corin Thanks! I'll PM you about the uni. Whenever I'm in the wind I think of you out on the coast and tell myself that this wind I'm feeling is nothing compared to you. It's like baby's breath. 😉

I'm off on a wee drive to a country hospital with dh so he can get a scan of some sort. The back log on our city diagnostics is bad, that just normal bad not because of covid. I plan to find a place to hike and hopefully ski while he's doing his thing.

• Like 4

Yesterday's extra activity ended up being yoga--day 10 in Adriene's 30 days of yoga, theme word connect. If she's going to keep posting 21 minute sessions, she's hitting my sweet spot. After school it was about 50° and just starting to drizzle, and I just didn't want to go outside. So yoga won out, even though Molly would have preferred a walk (she was much more active during this yoga than she is on Saturday mornings!)

This morning was my bodyweight circuit x2 then a short "wake up" yoga. This afternoon I need to return my overdue library books, so extra activity will be whatever is easiest to fit in. Down 2.8 pounds total now if you believe today's scale reading. One more to go to lose the holiday weight.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, wintermom said:

@FarmingMomma Great photos! Your dogs are adorable. Do they help with your cattle? Thanks for sharing. You got lots of lovely snow for skiing. I hope we get some more soon. 

Our corgi-Aussie cross, not in the photos, is my husband's dog and she helps with the cows all the time.  The blue heeler is my daughter's dog, and he helps with the cows sometimes.  The fat black corgi is a couch dog who likes to bark at cows but is absolutely no help at all! :laugh:

It snowed most of the morning here, which was lovely, but they're calling for rain tonight, which will definitely not be lovely.  I hope the forecast is wrong and we just get more snow.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Here’s an update for posterity on just how out of shape I am. I woke up sore from putting my elliptical together yesterday, maybe with a bit from lugging it up the stairs the day before.
To be fair, it’s tucked into an impossibly small spot, which made for very awkwardly sustained positions while screwing things together. And it got a test run of about 5 minutes. Tip: don’t think you can do a 5 minute test run on an elliptical without shoes. @@

I’m very glad we invested in a 20” stride vs. the less expensive, shorter stride machines. It felt like an even longer stride would have been more comfortable (I’m 5’8), but I had to draw the budget line somewhere.

I’ll come back to this post once I’ve put in some real but gentle time with it today.

The simple act of opening MyFitnessPal has made immediate improvements. Remembering what it’s like to eat as if I’m fueling my body rather than eating as a hobby actually has me excited! 

• Like 5

25 minutes ago, Dreamergal said:

DH and I planned to play outside today. We even got up early, really cold outside, not just TX cold. So promptly went back to bed. 😊

BW danced today. I am getting food more streamlined.

DH bought himself one of those under the desk ellipticals for Christmas. He uses it regularly and seems to think it has some benefits. He is desk bound for hours, so it works for him. I am tempted, very tempted, so I may cave and buy one too. 

Have a good one !

The first lesson about outdoor play in the winter (for me personally) is to do it in the afternoon when it's warmer. This is unless you NEED it cold for the right snow/ice temp. Why make things colder than you need to, especially when you have lovely southern sunshine to help warm things up for you? 😀

I'm really impressed that you are making plans and time to do outdoor activities!!  Just remember that what you usually do in the summer needs to be reversed for winter. So mornings and evenings are cold, but mid-day is good. 😉

Edited by wintermom
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Carrie12345 said:

Here’s an update for posterity on just how out of shape I am. I woke up sore from putting my elliptical together yesterday, maybe with a bit from lugging it up the stairs the day before.
To be fair, it’s tucked into an impossibly small spot, which made for very awkwardly sustained positions while screwing things together. And it got a test run of about 5 minutes. Tip: don’t think you can do a 5 minute test run on an elliptical without shoes. @@

I’m very glad we invested in a 20” stride vs. the less expensive, shorter stride machines. It felt like an even longer stride would have been more comfortable (I’m 5’8), but I had to draw the budget line somewhere.

I’ll come back to this post once I’ve put in some real but gentle time with it today.

The simple act of opening MyFitnessPal has made immediate improvements. Remembering what it’s like to eat as if I’m fueling my body rather than eating as a hobby actually has me excited! 

That's more a result of age than fitness level. 😉 We all get sore from contorting the body in weird positions and straining new muscles.  I'm recovering from a 'deep breathing' injury (trying out Qigong) and it's been nearly 3 weeks of pain. Such is life as an aging adult. 🤪

You're doing great! Don't be discouraged by a little muscle soreness from activity. It's the muscle soreness from inactivity that is worse. 

• Like 3

48 minutes ago, wintermom said:

That's more a result of age than fitness level. 😉 We all get sore from contorting the body in weird positions and straining new muscles.  I'm recovering from a 'deep breathing' injury (trying out Qigong) and it's been nearly 3 weeks of pain. Such is life as an aging adult. 🤪

You're doing great! Don't be discouraged by a little muscle soreness from activity. It's the muscle soreness from inactivity that is worse. 

Yes.  My body just doesn't recover from unusual activity as well as it used.  On the other hand, my joints don't ache regularly now in the way that they did eight years ago before I took up yoga.  @Carrie12345 take it easy - you have some good plans.

As I really, really don't want to end up in hospital at the moment by slipping on frozen surfaces, and I don't have time to go to the ice-free beach during daylight, I went against all my instincts and did an online fitness (as opposed to yoga) class.  I find classes at the gym (apart from yoga) incredibly boring - I'd just so much rather be doing something (anything) else.  At home though.....  I can shut the door and shutters so no one can see me, turn off the workout video sound and listen to an informative podcast.  So there I was, following along with a Lesley Sansone enhanced walking workout whilst learning about the nocebo effect in statin side effects (fascinating, by the way).  It was fine: my heart rate was surprisingly high given that it didn't feel hard, and I didn't get bored.

ETA: does anyone have recommendations for low-impact 30 minute cardio workouts online?

I'll do some yoga after work.

Grilled veg and tomato porridge plus yoghurt.  Big lunch of tuna, cheese, carrots, peas, apple and savoury oatcakes.  Husband is cooking pork tonight, so pork and veg.

Edited by Laura Corin
  • Like 5