Menu

January Well-Trained Bodies

Soror

Hey, it's me!  I'm making some good progress in physical therapy with my tendonitis, and I'm "allowed" to run again, but must take it easy.  

I was surprised and delighted to find my speed hasn't decreased.  I was so worried about losing progress.  Obviously my HR is a little more elevated at the same speeds though.  And I'll need to work back up endurance-wise.  For now, just sticking with 5k every 3 days or so.  

My PT is taking... what appear to be medieval era tools... and tearing apart fascia adhesions.  It hurts, but it's a good hurt.  😆  He is great.  I switched to him after a few appointments with one guy, then that guy decided I really should be seeing the sports guy at their clinic.  The sports PT just looked at me for about 10 seconds, then said, "You clench your jaw.  You chew on the left side.  You have hip issues."  It was pretty amazing.  All accurate.  

In the mean time, I've been keeping up with IF from 1pm-7am and weight is slowly moving in the right direction after a long pause at Christmas.  I've also added in some upper body work while my legs are out of the game.  But I need to develop that into a routine instead of just random pushups when I remember.  

• Like 7

On 1/24/2021 at 8:32 PM, Lucy the Valiant said:

And the VERY BEST NEWS of all is that we are foster-adopting a new DOG this week! My lonely walking days are nearing an end. ❤️ I have been so very much missing my faithful dog Thor who walked with me for 11 years. We are starting a new chapter, and I am filled with hope.

Sending kisses and snuggles to your new baby! What is him/her's name? ❤️🥰❤️

On 1/25/2021 at 6:37 AM, Laura Corin said:

The tides are difficult today, so I'm working through lunch, then leaving early to run on the beach at dusk.  Probably no time for yoga, but that's okay.  Up to 7 minute runs this week.

Everyone lives in the neatest places. I want to be able to say, "The tides are difficult today" too!!

On 1/25/2021 at 3:36 PM, Dreamergal said:

I have an unusual problem of having long hair that extends below the bike seat

Awesome problem! I've always, always wanted long hair, but my hair goes full cave woman when I attempt to grow it. (It grows out instead of down.)

On 1/25/2021 at 5:36 PM, wintermom said:

I went for a solo walk in the woods I walk and ski in every week. I got lost! I started following a snowshoe trail, saw 4 deer, meandered around until I found a main trail again. I knew exactly where I was then, but it was no where near where I thought I was. Silly me! I ended up having to run to the trailhead with my big boots as I had a meeting to get to. More fun adventures. 😄

Before I got lost, I was snowing big, fat snowflakes just like in Charlie Brown Christmas show, and I was catching them in my mouth. It was a truly 'mindful' moment, and you feel just like a kid again. 😉 

See? Everyone lives in the coolest places!

On 1/26/2021 at 9:12 PM, Ali in OR said:

We did get snow! The most we've had in 4 years--about 3". It started about noon, not sticking, then the flakes were so big they started to stick even though we were at 34°. It was pretty slow snow for sledding, but dd and I took a walk with Molly after school. Just a nice little break from pandemic life.

Congratulations -- snow is so fun especially when it's a surprise!

23 hours ago, FarmingMomma said:

Oh the bread gets me too, winter is the time for ALL the baking.  Yesterday I made Buttermilk oatmeal bread and oatmeal chocolate chip muffins.

I love baking too, but I purposely don't bake the stuff I love. Like my kids have never had an oatmeal cookie or peanut butter cookie because I'd eat the batter.

My knee is finally acting like a real knee again. Man did it hurt when I'd bend it. Weird. I've never had a problem with my knee before.

So yesterday I got back on my inside recumbent and did Level 6 for 26 minutes, then a cool down. I also do stomach and arms.

I think this group is keeping me honest. Even if I can't say, "the tides," "the snow" and so forth! 🙃

• Like 3

@Dreamergal Did the colour of your avatar change from blue to green, or am I imagining things? Great job with all the activities! Enjoy a relaxing weekend.

@Alicia64 So glad your knee is feeling better. You would not want to trade locations with me right now. The temperature has dropped way down and the wind is crazy. Yikes! 

@Monica_in_Switzerland Glad to hear your PT is working well. and you can run again!! That's awesome. Are you near any skiing, being in Switzerland and all? If so, do you ski? I could use a mountain or two right now. 😉

I went for a walk with a couple friends on our usual woods hike. It felt so cold and windy. It was not a pleasant wind and the cold was the kind the rattles your bones. I wish I'd gone skating last night when it was nice. 

• Like 5

8 hours ago, wintermom said:

@Dreamergal Did the colour of your avatar change from blue to green, or am I imagining things? Great job with all the activities! Enjoy a relaxing weekend.

@Alicia64 So glad your knee is feeling better. You would not want to trade locations with me right now. The temperature has dropped way down and the wind is crazy. Yikes! 

@Monica_in_Switzerland Glad to hear your PT is working well. and you can run again!! That's awesome. Are you near any skiing, being in Switzerland and all? If so, do you ski? I could use a mountain or two right now. 😉

I went for a walk with a couple friends on our usual woods hike. It felt so cold and windy. It was not a pleasant wind and the cold was the kind the rattles your bones. I wish I'd gone skating last night when it was nice. 

Yes, there is definitely skiing around, but I'm not a skier.  I think I came to winter sports a bit too old.  My dh took me skiing twice when I first moved here, but any time I started moving faster than a slow walking pace, I would freak out and throw myself into the snow to stop.  😂  I wouldn't mind trying snowshoeing some time though... 

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Monica_in_Switzerland said:

Yes, there is definitely skiing around, but I'm not a skier.  I think I came to winter sports a bit too old.  My dh took me skiing twice when I first moved here, but any time I started moving faster than a slow walking pace, I would freak out and throw myself into the snow to stop.  😂  I wouldn't mind trying snowshoeing some time though... 

Yes, it does help to take up alpine skiing at an early age. Now when I look down a hill with snow on it and I think, "Yay! Let's do this." Speed is the goal because you know you can slow down and stop when you need to. Throwing yourself on the snow is a valid option, but you learn other options, too. 😉

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I'm starting to wimp out with the weather, I have to admit. It's currently -17C with a wind chill to make it feel like -26. That translates to +1F / -15F, which seems much better! I think I prefer Fahrenheit. 😉  

I'm going for a walk with a friend this afternoon. Otherwise, I'm enjoying the sunshine through the window from inside my house. I may try another Qigong video and try not to hurt myself with breathing too deeply. 

• Like 4

47 minutes ago, wintermom said:

I'm starting to wimp out with the weather, I have to admit. It's currently -17C with a wind chill to make it feel like -26. That translates to +1F / -15F, which seems much better! I think I prefer Fahrenheit. 😉  

It's the negative numbers. No one likes negatives (says the algebra teacher throwing negatives all over the final exam...)

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I did my dumbbell workout for the first time since Veteran's Day. That was when I had my dog leash injury that either pulled or tore ligaments in my ring finger on my left hand. Still can't quite bend that finger all the way and that finger is still sore, the knuckle still too big to get my wedding ring on, but I was able to hold the dumbbells just fine. I did stick with 3 lb weights for the lighter weights and 8 lb for the heavier (compared to Jessica's 5 and 10 lb weights). And I cut the last exercise more for time reasons than anything else--this workout is about 35 min and I really have about 30 for morning exercise.

• Like 4

Dropping by to give a quick book review:

Good To Go:  What the Athlete in All of Us Can Learn from the Strange Science of Recovery

This was a fun read, but much of it was investigative journalism narrative.  It boils down to this:

- Sleep is the single greatest factor in recovery.  Get good sleep and plenty of it.

- Hyponatremia is a more serious risk than dehydration.  Drink to thirst only, do not force liquids.    

- Recovery techniques are all essentially placebos.  Stretching, ice, heat, rolling, NSAIDs, massage, specialized food/shakes/supplements are all equally useless in producing real improvement in recovery.  HOWEVER, the placebo effect is real and does marshal our own body's recovery systems to perform better.  So pick your favorite one or two recovery rituals end enjoy them, but the effects of many recovery treatments are not cumulative.  The placebo effect gives a boost, but not multiple boosts.  There is only so far you can talk your boy into recovering at an increased rate.  

- As a general rule, exercise science is junk science.  The studies are tiny, the measurements taken are often arbitrary and do not measure real effects, and almost all are funded my commercial investors who expect a certain outcome.  

• Like 5

5 hours ago, wintermom said:

I think you need a new word. Not wimp, for sure. Sensible self preservation? 

1 hour ago, Dreamergal said:

Hmmm...seems a bit more green than yesterday. I was futzing around editing some settings so perhaps that changed something ?

BW danced today and conserving energy for Tai Chi. 

Buddha plans for the weekend in full force. DH and I cooked enough for 3 days, kept enough variety so that we are not eating the same thing for days. I've got my shows picked, books to read, games to play both video and board. All set !

Have a good weekend ! 

That's what we call a Blondie day - imitating the excellent relaxation skills displayed  by our 14yo dog.

Running this evening. The tides were not ideal and the sand was a bit soft.  My calf cramped up but I managed to complete the session. It's 9pm and I  have retired to bed with my recovery placebos of choice (@Monica_in_Switzerland) - a big mug of rooibos,  a hot water bottle and a detective novel.

Have great weekends! 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, Laura Corin said:

I think you need a new word. Not wimp, for sure. Sensible self preservation? 

That's what we call a Blondie day - imitating the excellent relaxation skills displayed  by our 14yo dog.

Running this evening. The tides were not ideal and the sand was a bit soft.  My calf cramped up but I managed to complete the session. It's 9pm and I  have retired to bed with my recovery placebos of choice (@Monica_in_Switzerland) - a big mug of rooibos,  a hot water bottle and a detective novel.

Have great weekends! 

Ok, maybe tentative is a better word than wimpy. I'll get out there for a walk with friends, but I'm certainly not popping outside for multiple walks just for fun. 😉

Great job on the running! Way to power through the cramp.  Enjoy your well-earned recovery placebos. 

• Like 2

I received a rather wonderful surprise this morning, the weather network said it was 0 degrees, and I was expecting -17. Then I realized it was still in Fahrenheit mode. I'm going to go skiing and just tell my body that it's 0 C. I'll dress for -17, though. It's sunny and the snow looks great, so all is good. 🙂

• Like 3

Started the day with day 2 of 30 days of yoga, theme word arrive. I've missed a few along the way and haven't done any past day 21, so just thought I would do the first one I missed, and I can do these longer ones on a Saturday morning.

We're supposed to have 3-4 days of pretty solid rain, but it hasn't started yet. Good weekend to hibernate, but I need to lay off the food a bit. I want to go into bear mode--eat a lot and then sleep. But I think I'll do my chores and then some math work. And sleep--that part sounds good.

• Like 2

Chapter 21: In Which Samwise Joins the Adventure ❤️

January Wrap-up: -7 lbs   (December: -2, Total Since July: -23)

Planning some mini-challenges for February, and keeping focused on the POSITIVE and the LONG GOAL. (The voice in my head wants to be discouraging, and I'm working on my long-term plan to re-program that voice into JOY and GRATITUDE and FOCUS. Celebrating this day and this month, and looking with hope to Feb!)

Samwise & Katie.jpg

• Like 6

8 hours ago, Lucy the Valiant said:

Chapter 21: In Which Samwise Joins the Adventure ❤️

January Wrap-up: -7 lbs   (December: -2, Total Since July: -23)

Planning some mini-challenges for February, and keeping focused on the POSITIVE and the LONG GOAL. (The voice in my head wants to be discouraging, and I'm working on my long-term plan to re-program that voice into JOY and GRATITUDE and FOCUS. Celebrating this day and this month, and looking with hope to Feb!)

Samwise & Katie.jpg

Awesome photo! He looks adorable. Enjoy your new buddy.

• Like 2

Thanks for asking about me. I haven't been on in a week or so. I needed a break from here and am cutting back my internet time. I would like to pass the mantel to someone else to start the thread. I'm still trying to determine how much time I want to spend online and where I want to spend it. 

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, Soror said:

Thanks for asking about me. I haven't been on in a week or so. I needed a break from here and am cutting back my internet time. I would like to pass the mantel to someone else to start the thread. I'm still trying to determine how much time I want to spend online and where I want to spend it. 

I hope things are okay. Reconsidering ones focus is always a good idea. I've taken helpful board breaks in the past.

I'm happy to start the thread, but anyone else can step in if I forget.

• Like 3

My check-in for the week:

Still going to PT twice a week and am starting to maybe feel like my knees are getting a bit better. They definitely hurt less, but then I'm also doing less with them. I've barely been back on the stationary bike and have backed off into ultra low-impact cardio exercise. I've also been icing them fairly regularly after long walks or when they hurt. 

However, they are still weak and wobbly, especially in the evening later at night. 

So, who knows? I have a re-evaluation scheduled with the PT lead this week. I'll guess we'll see what he has to say.

Goals Updates:

• Run Across America Winter Warmup - Logged about 16K this week, which leaves me a little shy of the 106K I had hoped to complete this month. I should be able to make it up, though, and finish the overall challenge of 250 by mid-March.
  • Year of the Ox - Not a great week for this challenge, either. I counted only 18.22 miles , for a total of 86.31. This means I need to put in almost 4 miles a day to get to 202.1 miles by the end of February. Honestly not sure how I'll manage that.
  • YesFit Great American Adventure - Logged another 39-ish miles this week for a total of 186.6. Currently walking across NJ.
  • Daily PT Exercise - Check.
  • M/W/F Cardio - PT appointments this week were on Monday and Wednesday, which I count as cardio. I did something on Friday, but I don't remember what at the moment.
  • T/Th Arm Work - Had to do a catch-up on Friday, because I ran out of time on Thursday, but it counts.
  • Food/Weight - Those two pounds found me again. I'm really discouraged at this point. We're still eating well, prioritizing veggies and fruits,, eating almost no packaged foods, etc. I'm drinking my water. I'm sure it's all good for me in lots of ways. But, boy, would I like to see that scale cooperate.
  • Like 3

@Soror Thanks for checking in. Hope you're feeling better and continue to build your energy.

@Jenny in Florida Hope your knees continue to improve.

@Laura Corin Thanks for taking on the task of starting next month off. You have the advantage of being several hours ahead of us. 😉

I went for a slightly shorter skate ski today. I'm finding 2 days in a row a little hard on the legs, so I'll try and come up with a better way to spread things out.  The ski was lovely; sunny, good conditions and nice scenery. Temps still cold, though. It was -2 F this morning, but very light winds, so quite pleasant when you're working hard outside. 

• Like 4

January was not a great month for me.  The first half wasn't too bad, and I managed to keep an average of 4 miles walking per day, but the second half stunk.  I had a mega deadline moved up from June 29 to January 29, on top of all the year-end stuff I always have in January (actually I'm pulling an all-nighter right now to finish that).  I had to cancel almost everything that wasn't an absolute immediate need.  My only exercise was walking around the house while eating.

Partially balancing this was that I didn't always eat much.

Not the best way to start off the year, but hopefully this will mean my June will be better than otherwise....

• Like 2