Menu

Gift for kids who likes anime?

Calizzy

I have a new sister in law this year and she has a 12 year old daughter. I want to give the girl a gift when I see her at Christmas. My sister in law said, "She loves drawing art stuff, anything to do with Totoro, Anime, she likes anything to do with hayao Miyazaki movies, she's got a collection." 

I'm really not familiar with these things or what a gift would look like for someone who likes them. Any suggestions?

jewelry:
- Totoro charm bracelet
- soot sprite earring & necklace set
- enamel pins -- set of 5 Totoro characters

clothes:
- socks or socks -- set of 4 Miyazaki character scenes
- t-shirt -- choice of image of Miyazaki character
- Cat Bus Christmas hat (character from Totoro) 

fleece throw blanket:
- Totoro characters -- or--  another design with Totoro characters
- Miyazaki multi-film characters --or-- another design of multi-film characters

books:
- The Art of... My Neighbor Totoro; Spirited Away; Kiki's Delivery Service (all are Miyazaki films)

art: 
- How to Draw Anime
- The Master Guide to Drawing Anime
- Art Drawing Supply Kit + Sketch Pad

Edited by Lori D.
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Calizzy said:

I have a new sister in law this year and she has a 12 year old daughter. I want to give the girl a gift when I see her at Christmas. My sister in law said, "She loves drawing art stuff, anything to do with Totoro, Anime, she likes anything to do with hayao Miyazaki movies, she's got a collection." 

I'm really not familiar with these things or what a gift would look like for someone who likes them. Any suggestions?

You should totally watch Torturo -- it's an amazing film. We also loved Kiki's Delivery Service. And Ponyo (so good). These movies are so creative -- worth your time. Plus you'd have something in common w/ the new in-laws!

Wendy

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Dreamergal said:

Anime is too broad a classification 

Very much this. With a specific movie or show rec, you can't go too far wrong with small consumables like themed notebooks and such, but I wouldn't want to buy something pricier. She has a collection, so you don't know what she has, and 'anime' is a very broad category. 

I get over my reluctance to give money as a gift by trying my best to personalize it. In this case, I'd probably print some illustrations from Totoro to wrap a small box in, and put cash in with a note to have fun selecting something. I've also printed a photo of a specific gift and put it in with the corresponding amount of money, and a note that says, buy this in the right size! Or get distracted by something else, and buy that instead! It was impossible to keep up with the anime interest and collections of my own child, so I didn't attempt it for anyone else's. 

In the Before Times, I have given money and said it was to spend on foolishness at their next Comic Con or such. 

It can be fun to give the money in all $1 bills, as long as you are giving at least $20 or so:  tape the bills together and roll up tightly. Put the roll in a small tin - an International Coffee tin is perfect. Cover the tin by gluing on themed paper, cut a slit in the plastic top, and have the first bill peeking out of the slit with a note that says "Pull." This is an example but I like a smaller tin. Kids and teens generally love pulling out the money. 

If you want to go more with the drawing theme, I'd say don't go don't go with a How to Draw Manga/Anime/Etc type book or kit, bc anyone who has the slightest interest in anime has already been gifted one. If you are able to ask the mom if she draws with colored pencils, any avid artist can always use more Prismacolors (look for the ones that say Premier, the Scholar ones are much less quality). Or you can buy a single high quality marker and give money to buy more. Buying good markers is so expensive when they're not in a package, but you always need ones that are not in the package. 

Even if you give money, this is showing that you are taking an interest in what they like, even if you don't know exactly what to get.  

And I will add that it's very nice of you to get her a gift and make her welcome!

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Bambam said:

I got these laptop stickers (a large set to be sure) for one of mine last year - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07RK98SXC/

It was a big hit, and she shared freely with others because there are SO many. 

Oh, this is awesome if you want a physical gift! Even if she happens to have it, it's stickers, one can never have too many stickers and there is always something new to stick them on. 

• 4 months later...

I suggest you ask her what her favorite anime is and what character she likes. But I'm not sure if you want to get it as a surprise. Maybe she has a poster, or some books or DVDs around somewhere. Note the names of them and I'd suggest getting a toy or a new poster from that anime. You can find all kinds of stuff on Amazon or eBay.

Another interesting gift — you could buy her a book that teaches you how to draw in anime style. They go step by step, so if she likes art, a beginner can use it. Look for a title along the lines of “How to Draw Manga and Anime” (Manga is the Japanese word for comics, that anime is based on).

Source: https://animefillerlist.net/bleach-filler-list/