Menu

What % of your take-home (not gross) income is your rent/mortgage including

Ours is 31%, but we have a lower house payment than most people we know in our area. Our house is not large or elaborate. My husband makes a modest income, though. We have looked at down sizing, but after much research have found that we are probably not going to gain anything in this market. Houses that arn't what ours is (again ours is modest) are selling for more than we pay for this one. Looks like we'll be in this position for a while longer.

We've been paying extra via a mortgage twice monthly mortgage accelerator program. Our actual monthly loan amount is 22%, but our current twice monthly payments are 28%. We have the option to make our original loan payments, but would rather save the $ and pay off years early.

right now that includes our second mortgage as well, which will be paid off in a few years. Our first mortgage payment (with taxes & insurance) is under 1/6th of our take-home pay. Of course, we gutted our house and re-did the entire thing when we purchased it which is why our second mortgage is fairly high. Our equity is still nearly $100,000 more than the payoff of the 2 mortgages combined.

I used to work for a bank in the mortgage loan dept. This was nearly 20 years ago. (Yikes!) I don't know if things have changed, but back then a person's mortgage/homeowners/etc (but not utilities) was not supposed to exceed 27% of their net income. All debts (mortgage, car loans, credit cards, student loans, etc) shouldn't exceed 33%.

That is mortgage, taxes and insurance. We have a tiny HELOC that we will have paid off in the spring. If you add in the minumum payment of that (we never pay the minimum-- more like 10 X the min), it wouldn't even bump it to 18%. I am so glad we didn't over extend and build when we got here. Our plan was to spend about 100K more, but it never worked out and this place came on the market. We are very happy.