Menu

November Well-Trained Bodies

Soror

Hi, I've been AWOL.  I was doing well with that mile a day challenge, but then there was some unseasonably warm weather and I decided I needed to finish digging out an area for the patio, which involved my filling and dumping 10+ wheelbarrows (6 cu feet each) of dirt, and so many rocks that there is now an impromptu rock wall next to the space (and this, folks, is why there are so many rock walls in New England...)

That ended up pooping me out and I decided to call that exercise for the day (kudos to Farmingmomma who does farm labor and works out!) and then I got off the mile a day wagon, and then I had a hard time getting back into the swing of anything.  I realized I missed checking in with my Fitbit, which a ways back started just giving me junk readings - I was still wearing it as a watch, so looking back just made it look like I was in cardiac arrest all the time.  Really demoralizing. So, finally bought a new one, which wouldn't work with my ancient phoneÂ đŸ™„, so I had to get a new one of those too (the fitbit should have lasted way longer, but the phone I had gotten a very good run out of...)  So, I'm back in business, and am trying to turn over a new leaf.  I'm going to try a new thing where I have to work out before eating lunch, even if it's just hopping on the rowing machine for 10-15 minutes (once I get going, I usually keep at it unless there's some kind of time deadline).  I'm hoping I can make this into an almost daily habit.  

No more Nordic walking here I don't think but if it snows enough this winter I think I'd like a new pair of Nordic skis...

And here's a picture of my rock "wall" lol...

20201121_122333.jpg

Edited by Matryoshka
  • Like 6

@MatryoshkaI know that is hard work, great job. When we had so much manual labor this spring and summer I def. cut back on my formal exercise.

I got in a nice walk yesterday afternoon and ate good food.

Today more of the same planned.

b: blueberries w/ homemade muesli and yogurt; small serving scrambled eggs and homemade toaste

l: red beans w/ oats; ?

s: oranges; popcorn

d: pulled pork w/ brussel sprouts

• Like 2

I am sneaking back into this thread...I will try to find time today to read at least the last few pages and catch up on everyone.

DS4 is now 2.5 months old, and I am definitely ready to start exercising again. 
That being said, I was in the habit of exercising before everyone else was up for the day.  Between having a NB and major insomnia, I don't see that working on a regular basis. 

However, it worked out today! Baby was up at 5ish to nurse. I knew I wouldn't be able to go back to sleep, so I exercised instead of wasting time online. I am once again doing a BBM challenge. Each workout is short (bonus, because NB) and in the series I am doing she is pp as well. I also want to find some "mommy and baby" videos, because I am sure some days will be like that.

What a nice start to my day! I am only slightly sore (but I expected that after not exercising for months) and the mental boost totally has me in a good mood. My current exercise goals are: exercise when I can (even short workouts) and to focus on healing my diastatis recti. 

Hope everyone else has as nice a start to their day as I've had!

• Like 5

47 minutes ago, barnwife said:

I am sneaking back into this thread...I will try to find time today to read at least the last few pages and catch up on everyone.

DS4 is now 2.5 months old, and I am definitely ready to start exercising again. 
That being said, I was in the habit of exercising before everyone else was up for the day.  Between having a NB and major insomnia, I don't see that working on a regular basis. 

However, it worked out today! Baby was up at 5ish to nurse. I knew I wouldn't be able to go back to sleep, so I exercised instead of wasting time online. I am once again doing a BBM challenge. Each workout is short (bonus, because NB) and in the series I am doing she is pp as well. I also want to find some "mommy and baby" videos, because I am sure some days will be like that.

What a nice start to my day! I am only slightly sore (but I expected that after not exercising for months) and the mental boost totally has me in a good mood. My current exercise goals are: exercise when I can (even short workouts) and to focus on healing my diastatis recti. 

Hope everyone else has as nice a start to their day as I've had!

Welcome back and congratulations!! The time has just flown by if baby is 2.5 months old already. That's great you're back exercising! Pop in anytime to update us on how things are going. I get it with limiting on-line time and choosing exercise as well. Good choice!

• Like 2

We have snow!! Quite a bit, and it's staying on the ground. I'll have to pull out the skis and snowshoes and make good use of them. No more outdoor tennis, though. Oh well, I had an amazing run of it this fall. I love that there is a seamless transition to snow activities, actually. That is often not the case. 

The birds are in full action at my bird feeder. The cardinals are super bright red now and finally showing up for some food. I get so distracted and entertained. I could spend hours watching them. đŸ˜‰Â 

• Like 3

16 hours ago, Matryoshka said:

Hi, I've been AWOL.  I was doing well with that mile a day challenge, but then there was some unseasonably warm weather and I decided I needed to finish digging out an area for the patio, which involved my filling and dumping 10+ wheelbarrows (6 cu feet each) of dirt, and so many rocks that there is now an impromptu rock wall next to the space (and this, folks, is why there are so many rock walls in New England...)

That ended up pooping me out and I decided to call that exercise for the day (kudos to Farmingmomma who does farm labor and works out!) and then I got off the mile a day wagon, and then I had a hard time getting back into the swing of anything.  I realized I missed checking in with my Fitbit, which a ways back started just giving me junk readings - I was still wearing it as a watch, so looking back just made it look like I was in cardiac arrest all the time.  Really demoralizing. So, finally bought a new one, which wouldn't work with my ancient phoneÂ đŸ™„, so I had to get a new one of those too (the fitbit should have lasted way longer, but the phone I had gotten a very good run out of...)  So, I'm back in business, and am trying to turn over a new leaf.  I'm going to try a new thing where I have to work out before eating lunch, even if it's just hopping on the rowing machine for 10-15 minutes (once I get going, I usually keep at it unless there's some kind of time deadline).  I'm hoping I can make this into an almost daily habit.  

No more Nordic walking here I don't think but if it snows enough this winter I think I'd like a new pair of Nordic skis...

And here's a picture of my rock "wall" lol...

20201121_122333.jpg

I have a few rock borders around my garden beds. You are very talented to make a wall as you dig! Must be a New England thing. I just make piles of rocks - I think that's a prairie farm thing.Â đŸ˜„

• Like 3

1 hour ago, wintermom said:

I have a few rock borders around my garden beds. You are very talented to make a wall as you dig! Must be a New England thing. I just make piles of rocks - I think that's a prairie farm thing.Â đŸ˜„

There are too many rocks for just a pile, unless it becomes some kind of thing that looks like a ritual burial cairn... đŸ˜„Â  And it isn't a proper wall, just hucking stones as I go, and it ends up like that!  The piles get too high and merge into a wall-ish shape...

I read a book on New England stone walls, and they figured the size of each piece of land they surround is about how far someone was willing to carry the &%^$ rocks before putting them down...

Edited by Matryoshka
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

Got a lot done this weekend, but not everything on the cleaning list. Got the living room carpet cleaned Saturday night and then the study carpet cleaned last night (too much furniture to put somewhere to do both the same night). I usually do my morning exercise in the study, but since the carpet is still damp, I decided to use the living room. I didn't want to wake dh, so I did the relatively quiet yoga instead of cardio with music. My doggo was asleep on the sofa and my cat started on the yoga mat with me but after one plank over him he retreated to under the sofa. And last night we were getting some outdoor light decorations assembled, so I turned the birch tree on. Most of my family members don't like my new tree, but it makes me very happy. I told dh I'm tempted to keep it indoors! It was a nice addition to the yoga experience.

My coworker's father passed away this weekend. I will be covering her parent conferences today for sure, maybe some tomorrow too. And I'll add a lot of math prep work to my "week off", either to help her out if she returns by 11/30 or to be ready to teach myself. But also going to enjoy holiday busy-ness.

Edited by Ali in OR

1 hour ago, Matryoshka said:

There are too many rocks for just a pile, unless it becomes some kind of thing that looks like a ritual burial cairn... đŸ˜„Â  And it isn't a proper wall, just hucking stones as I go, and it ends up like that!  The piles get too high and merge into a wall-ish shape...

I read a book on New England stone walls, and they figured the size of each piece of land they surround is about how far someone was willing to carry the &%^$ rocks before putting them down...

That makes perfect sense! It was all about the physical geography rather than random lines drawn on a map way back then.

How big is the patio you're digging out? It could be a swimming pool by the looks of it. My sil just had a semi-inground/above ground pool dug out, and it looks a little similar. They couldn't go deep because the all the rock.Â đŸ˜„

• Like 1

I just did some shoveling in my backyard as well, but my 'wall' ended up being built of wet, heavy snow. We got a serious dump of snow, and by the feel it it there must have been rain as well.  

The dog and I took our first snow walk this season. He's a fru-fru standard poodle and doesn't like getting his paws wet from snow (or rain). I have to shovel paths for him in the backyard or he won't leave the deck (and ends up doing is business there). It's ridiculous as his legs are super long for a dog, so it's not the depth of the material, just the wetness. đŸ˜‰Â 

• Like 3

I did part of MBF day 13, but I've been feeling like it's not challenging enough compared to what I've gotten used to doing.  So I restarted 80 day obsession, because apparently I'm a crazy person! :laugh: So 80 DO day 1, total body core.

@wintermom I have the opposite problem, all 3 of our dogs LOVE snow and water and mud.  They walk through the creek and every bit of standing water they can find, romp in mudholes, and absolutely go nuts in the snow.  I have to scrub off their feet and legs and bellies every time they come back in the house, especially the bellies of the corgi and the corgi cross.  The blue heeler's belly doesn't get too bad except when the snow is deep and soft.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, FarmingMomma said:

I did part of MBF day 13, but I've been feeling like it's not challenging enough compared to what I've gotten used to doing.  So I restarted 80 day obsession, because apparently I'm a crazy person! :laugh: So 80 DO day 1, total body core.

@wintermom I have the opposite problem, all 3 of our dogs LOVE snow and water and mud.  They walk through the creek and every bit of standing water they can find, romp in mudholes, and absolutely go nuts in the snow.  I have to scrub off their feet and legs and bellies every time they come back in the house, especially the bellies of the corgi and the corgi cross.  The blue heeler's belly doesn't get too bad except when the snow is deep and soft.

That's pretty funny, for both things - needing more challenge and dogs that love to get messy. đŸ˜‰Â 

Our wheaton terriers were like that with snow and mud. They loved it all. Once they stuck their heads in a deep mud puddle and looked like black-headed sheep. The most embarrassing part about that episode was that we were on a "Wheaton Walk" with about 50 other wheaton terrirers, and every single other dog avoided the mud puddle except our two wheaties. Here's a photo of what our dogs looked like. Imagine this with a black, muddy head. 

image.jpeg.929007a58051268cb40cd9973459a70c.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

I did a little catching up reading. @IvyInFloridaCongrats on your little one!

Our NB came out at over 10 lbs...so reading that NB clothes were too small for your guy made me smile. I think I only squeezed DS4 into one NB outfit, solely for a picture (I have pics of the other kids in it). At a little over 2 months, he's wearing a good deal of 6-9 month clothes already.

Enjoy the snuggles!

• Like 5

19 minutes ago, Soror said:

Walk and yoga.

Had another nice walk in the woods yesterday. It is nice without the ticks and fewer brambles.

Plan another walk and more yoga.

Do ticks 'hibernate' in cold weather? I'm a tick magnet and assumed that cold weather would cause the insects to go into hiding. I'd love to know if I can be less tick cautious in cold temps? Lyme disease is new enough to my area that there is a lot of mixed messages as there isn't the research base yet to guide informed decisions.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, wintermom said:

Do ticks 'hibernate' in cold weather? I'm a tick magnet and assumed that cold weather would cause the insects to go into hiding. I'd love to know if I can be less tick cautious in cold temps? Lyme disease is new enough to my area that there is a lot of mixed messages as there isn't the research base yet to guide informed decisions.

They seem to around here. I've never got a tick bite in winter or even had them on me. Now, once it starts warming up in the spring you have to keep an eye out as they sometimes start moving earlier than expected(especially with the light winters lately) but it is also much warmer here than there. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Soror said:

They seem to around here. I've never got a tick bite in winter or even had them on me. Now, once it starts warming up in the spring you have to keep an eye out as they sometimes start moving earlier than expected(especially with the light winters lately) but it is also much warmer here than there. 

Good to know, as the winter is the perfect time to venture off-trail. I'm definitely an off-trail hiker, too! Robert Frost forgot to mention that in his poem. The 'less travelled' path I like to take is not a path at all. đŸ˜‰

Edited by wintermom
  • Like 3

I did my bodyweight circuit 2x and then Sunrise yoga this morning. With the dog and cat again. Dh came out ready to go running with the dog, looked at her sleeping on the sofa, and asked her why she wasn't doing the yoga. I had to show him Adriene's Benji on the screen just then, asleep, and explain that WAS dog yoga.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, Ali in OR said:

I did my bodyweight circuit 2x and then Sunrise yoga this morning. With the dog and cat again. Dh came out ready to go running with the dog, looked at her sleeping on the sofa, and asked her why she wasn't doing the yoga. I had to show him Adriene's Benji on the screen just then, asleep, and explain that WAS dog yoga.

LOL, the cat just looks at me. She likes to lay on my mat if I leave it out, that's it.

On 11/23/2020 at 5:03 PM, FarmingMomma said:

Man, you must really love that workout!!!

• Like 3

23 hours ago, Soror said:

They seem to go away in winter here too.  I don't put tick repellant on the dog from November to April and she doesn't seem to pick them up.

Reversed my workouts yesterday because of the weather and did my yoga session at lunchtime and NW at 4pm.  It was pretty dark by the time I got back, then I took the dog for a walk.

Today the weather is glorious: blue skies, light breeze, chilly but not frozen underfoot.  I took a walk before lunch and will try for yoga - maybe Deep Core - after work.  Then finishing off the deep clean of the sitting room before we put up the tree next week.  I also need to send off Advent calendars to my daughter and her girlfriend; my son will be home for his soon.

No idea about food today.

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, Soror said:

Another great walk yesterday although most of the day I sat on my butt doing Christmas shopping for my mom and mil.

Today walk and yoga.

Sounds like my day, both the walk and the sitting (though not shopping). đŸ˜‰Â  Enjoy your walk and yoga today!

23 minutes ago, Laura Corin said:

They seem to go away in winter here too.  I don't put tick repellant on the dog from November to April and she doesn't seem to pick them up.

Reversed my workouts yesterday because of the weather and did my yoga session at lunchtime and NW at 4pm.  It was pretty dark by the time I got back, then I took the dog for a walk.

Today the weather is glorious: blue skies, light breeze, chilly but not frozen underfoot.  I took a walk before lunch and will try for yoga - maybe Deep Core - after work.  Then finishing off the deep clean of the sitting room before we put up the tree next week.  I also need to send off Advent calendars to my daughter and her girlfriend; my son will be home for his soon.

No idea about food today.

That's great news about ticks in your area for both you and your dog. I'm assuming it works the same here in Canada, and perhaps for an even longer length of time. 

Glad you had a good day for walking and yoga!

I have to admit that I've dropped the ball on my yoga and stretching lately. I need to fit that back into my daily routine. 

• Like 2

I went on a hike in the woods yesterday between 3:30 and 4pm. The sun was already in 'sunset' mode. Kind of scary it's so early, but the photos I was able to get were great!  The lake is already frozen over, too, though I wouldn't attempt to walk on it unless I was up for a swim. đŸ˜‰

Winter 3.png

Winter 2.png

Edited by wintermom
  • Like 5

4 hours ago, Soror said:

LOL, the cat just looks at me. She likes to lay on my mat if I leave it out, that's it.

Man, you must really love that workout!!!

Two of our dogs are obsessed with laying on my yoga mat when I'm working out.

Actually I kind of love to hate 80 DO.  It's hard, and the workouts are long.  The first two times I tried it I didn't make it all the way through the program, but now I've completed it twice.  What I love is the results I get with the program.  It's a full body program but with special attention for the abs and butt.  I've seen a lot of progress in those areas, and I'd like to tighten them up a bit more.  Plus this time of year I don't have a lot going on outside...garden is buried in snow, there's no irrigating to do, the calves are weaned and shipped...so I end up feeling like a I need more of a workout inside.  I'm looking forward to more snow so that I can dust off the snowshoes.  I also managed to find used cross country skis and boots for me and both kids, so we'll hopefully be doing plenty of that this winter :) 

• Like 4

On school days I find myself searching my playlist for the shortest workouts (just under or right at 30 minutes). No school today, so I did my longest workout--37 minute Barefoot Cardio. This is the one I started with last summer when I couldn't wear shoes because of my extensor tendonitis. Lots of plies and calf and foot work.

I got my weight down this month. It jumped up half a pound from yesterday, so I'm going to try to watch total food volume today. We will have too many sweets in the house between now and Christmas, and I don't want to fall into the trap of eating them mindlessly. Thanksgiving is not an overeating holiday for me in general--I don't like most of the fattening sides. I'll have smoked turkey, green salad, a touch of cranberry sauce, and a roll or two. Then a piece of chocolate cream pie!

Love the picture of the woods, @wintermom.

• Like 3

Beautiful pictures @wintermom!

@Ali in OR mashed potatoes and rolls are my weakness at Thanksgiving, as well as pie.  My favorites that I make are a chocolate pumpkin pie and pecan pie.

Day 3/80 day obsession, cardio core.  I was able to correctly do some core moves that in the past I had to modify (bottom leg swing-through and side plank knee pull), so I'm feeling pretty pleased with myself right now! :biggrin:

• Like 3

Happy Thanksgiving!!! Hope you have a wonderful day and eat lots of yummy food!

It seems to be precipitating outside, but it's not snow. That means rain. The happy thing is that it's not cold enough to be freezing rain...yet.  I will still get outside and walk this afternoon, as it's my 'weekly walk in the woods' with friends while our dc play homeschool hockey. We walk in all weather and trail conditions because it's what we do. The temporary rivers caused from spring run-off do slow us down, but we still walk. đŸ˜‰Â 

• Like 3

Happy Thanksgiving!

I did start my day with a workout, and another longer one at that. I love the idea of going out for a Thanksgiving walk--but I also love the idea of snuggling inside. We have fog this morning but the sun is just starting to break through--high is supposed to be 50° and no rain!

I am thankful for you all and the motivation you help provide to keep this body moving. Hope you all have a wonderful day.

• Like 4

On 11/25/2020 at 10:06 AM, FarmingMomma said:

Two of our dogs are obsessed with laying on my yoga mat when I'm working out.

Actually I kind of love to hate 80 DO.  It's hard, and the workouts are long.  The first two times I tried it I didn't make it all the way through the program, but now I've completed it twice.  What I love is the results I get with the program.  It's a full body program but with special attention for the abs and butt.  I've seen a lot of progress in those areas, and I'd like to tighten them up a bit more.  Plus this time of year I don't have a lot going on outside...garden is buried in snow, there's no irrigating to do, the calves are weaned and shipped...so I end up feeling like a I need more of a workout inside.  I'm looking forward to more snow so that I can dust off the snowshoes.  I also managed to find used cross country skis and boots for me and both kids, so we'll hopefully be doing plenty of that this winter đŸ™‚

It is wonderful to see the progress and results, that is motivating. I do like some repetition so I can see the progress I'm making. I remember I had this yoga and pilates video 20 yrs ago and when I started I couldn't make it through and had to modify, it was such a boost to be able to get through the whole thing.I have a hard time with commitment though! Even though I rarely miss workouts committing to doing one thing is hard.

On 11/25/2020 at 11:35 AM, Ali in OR said:

On school days I find myself searching my playlist for the shortest workouts (just under or right at 30 minutes). No school today, so I did my longest workout--37 minute Barefoot Cardio. This is the one I started with last summer when I couldn't wear shoes because of my extensor tendonitis. Lots of plies and calf and foot work.

I got my weight down this month. It jumped up half a pound from yesterday, so I'm going to try to watch total food volume today. We will have too many sweets in the house between now and Christmas, and I don't want to fall into the trap of eating them mindlessly. Thanksgiving is not an overeating holiday for me in general--I don't like most of the fattening sides. I'll have smoked turkey, green salad, a touch of cranberry sauce, and a roll or two. Then a piece of chocolate cream pie!

Love the picture of the woods, @wintermom.

Congrats on the weight loss!! I can't have a lot of traditional Tgiving stuff and didn't bother with subs this year. I didn't fair too bad. I had a bit much turkey and it was higher in fat than I needed but just one meal. I had a regular breakfast (muesli, blueberries, eggs on the side) and curried lentils for dinner. I didn't snack today but had dessert with my tgiving lunch- 3 oreo balls). 

20 hours ago, wintermom said:

Happy Thanksgiving!!! Hope you have a wonderful day and eat lots of yummy food!

It seems to be precipitating outside, but it's not snow. That means rain. The happy thing is that it's not cold enough to be freezing rain...yet.  I will still get outside and walk this afternoon, as it's my 'weekly walk in the woods' with friends while our dc play homeschool hockey. We walk in all weather and trail conditions because it's what we do. The temporary rivers caused from spring run-off do slow us down, but we still walk. đŸ˜‰Â 

It is so nice you have friends to walk with. I hate freezing rain as it so dangerous!

• Like 4

Hello all!

Thank you to our overseas friends for Tgiving wishes.

I had a good and easy day. I did a short yoga in the am and an afternoon walk. I've been heading out in the same area in the woods and each time make it a little further but I'm in a habit of going not too long before sunset and always racing the sun. Last night I actually had to use my flashlight a bit and had i not known the last section of 'trail' it would have been hard to make it, I'll have to make it earlier today.

I did a harder and longer (1 hr) yoga on Wednesday to see how my body would do. I stuck to knees down in the chaturangas and I could still I overdid it a bit in my shoulders. This is why it takes forever to build upper body strength for me, so frustrating. I was going to try and do the last week of "The Work" spreading out the workouts but I think the volume is just too high for my shoulders. I wondered if it would be but did ok so I thought I'd made it but it was too much in the end. 1 week from finishing, sigh.

I'm trying to figure out what I want to do next. I know I want to get in more yoga than I have as it helps so much with ROM, mobility, and balance and I like the challenge of working on harder poses. I want to continue strength work. I'm considering doing Mark Lauren on demand- I have his You are Your Own Gym Book but find it more motivating working out with videos vs on my own, then I don't have to think through progressions and flip back and forth to find exercises. There is a free trial so I think I'll try it out.

And my Fitbit is dying, screen is going out. I think I'm just going to go with a cheaper tracker. 16 months for something to die that I paid that much for p*sses me off. I had a cheap tracker before it and it lasted about a year and only cost $25 or so. I'm trying to figure out what all features I want and comparing models.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Soror said:

Hello all!

Thank you to our overseas friends for Tgiving wishes.

I had a good and easy day. I did a short yoga in the am and an afternoon walk. I've been heading out in the same area in the woods and each time make it a little further but I'm in a habit of going not too long before sunset and always racing the sun. Last night I actually had to use my flashlight a bit and had i not known the last section of 'trail' it would have been hard to make it, I'll have to make it earlier today.

I did a harder and longer (1 hr) yoga on Wednesday to see how my body would do. I stuck to knees down in the chaturangas and I could still I overdid it a bit in my shoulders. This is why it takes forever to build upper body strength for me, so frustrating. I was going to try and do the last week of "The Work" spreading out the workouts but I think the volume is just too high for my shoulders. I wondered if it would be but did ok so I thought I'd made it but it was too much in the end. 1 week from finishing, sigh.

I'm trying to figure out what I want to do next. I know I want to get in more yoga than I have as it helps so much with ROM, mobility, and balance and I like the challenge of working on harder poses. I want to continue strength work. I'm considering doing Mark Lauren on demand- I have his You are Your Own Gym Book but find it more motivating working out with videos vs on my own, then I don't have to think through progressions and flip back and forth to find exercises. There is a free trial so I think I'll try it out.

And my Fitbit is dying, screen is going out. I think I'm just going to go with a cheaper tracker. 16 months for something to die that I paid that much for p*sses me off. I had a cheap tracker before it and it lasted about a year and only cost $25 or so. I'm trying to figure out what all features I want and comparing models.

Am I considered 'overseas' in Canada? Or am I in a 'sea' between US and Alaska (I had a friend who actually said this).Â đŸ˜„

Glad you had a good day yesterday. Sorry your shoulder and Fitbit are causing you grief.

You could go old-school and do your tracking manually, if all else fails. đŸ˜‰Â I keep telling my dh how much $ I save him by not dying my hair or using expensive fitness trackers. Therefore I should be able to spend that imaginary money in other areas, right?  My 'tracker' says I haven't done any yoga of late. There is no buzzer or electric shock prompting me to stretch. In fact my tracker forgets everything as soon as I walk through a doorway.Â đŸ˜‚

• Like 4

I was going to try and get out and so some skiing before the temps got too warm and the snow got soft and wet. Who would have thought, but the snow is already soft and wet before 8am. I may still try to find a place to ski or snowshoe this morning. I'm also going for a walk in the woods with friends this afternoon. I may even do some yoga! đŸ˜‰

• Like 3

52 minutes ago, wintermom said:

Am I considered 'overseas' in Canada? Or am I in a 'sea' between US and Alaska (I had a friend who actually said this).Â đŸ˜„

Glad you had a good day yesterday. Sorry your shoulder and Fitbit are causing you grief.

You could go old-school and do your tracking manually, if all else fails. đŸ˜‰Â I keep telling my dh how much $ I save him by not dying my hair or using expensive fitness trackers. Therefore I should be able to spend that imaginary money in other areas, right?  My 'tracker' says I haven't done any yoga of late. There is no buzzer or electric shock prompting me to stretch. In fact my tracker forgets everything as soon as I walk through a doorway.Â đŸ˜‚

LOL, I know, that crossed my mind when I posted but I was out of time so I went with it!

I'm torn on trackers. It has certainly increased my activity level, I can't lie to myself when there are numbers there to show the truth. I could use my phone to track but then I have to carry it all the time and I don't want to do that. But the fact that they are designed to stop working in such a short time really gets me. My Fitbit I got at a discount through dh's work, they had a health program and it was a reward, so it was a lot cheaper than regular price. I don't know that I need all the details that it gives.

But Dh is really ticking me off about it, I don't think he means too but he is. He was all pissy when I said I thought I might just go for a cheap knock off model, he goes on about how I don't use anything more than that and how silly it is to get some crappy one. I'd guess he thought he was being encouraging telling me I should get a nicer one. But he makes comments about how I'm obsessed with it and such and spend so much time looking at it. I'm tempted to just not get one at all. I don't find the comments amusing. Maybe I'll just buy myself an analog watch. 

I hardly buy anything for myself so I don't feel bad about spending money sometimes. In the last 2 months I've not spent a cent on myself as we've been in budget lockdown. I used to budget a bit each month if I found a shirt at Goodwill or buy some exercise thing.  I often buy used clothes and not that often. But really this whole year I've not bought much. I did some work on the yard, although that is not solely for me. I bought a few weights and a rope. Hair is just cut a couple times a year at a cheap place and I've cut it myself before too. I honestly do need some more clothes for outside exercise but I've been too cheap or not had extra money to spare, maybe some time this winter if we don't get anymore suprise billsđŸ™‚

48 minutes ago, wintermom said:

I was going to try and get out and so some skiing before the temps got too warm and the snow got soft and wet. Who would have thought, but the snow is already soft and wet before 8am. I may still try to find a place to ski or snowshoe this morning. I'm also going for a walk in the woods with friends this afternoon. I may even do some yoga! đŸ˜‰

Have fun with your friends.

Edited by Soror
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Soror said:

LOL, I know, that crossed my mind when I posted but I was out of time so I went with it!

I'm torn on trackers. It has certainly increased my activity level, I can't lie to myself when there are numbers there to show the truth. I could use my phone to track but then I have to carry it all the time and I don't want to do that. But the fact that they are designed to stop working in such a short time really gets me. My Fitbit I got at a discount through dh's work, they had a health program and it was a reward, so it was a lot cheaper than regular price. I don't know that I need all the details that it gives.

But Dh is really ticking me off about it, I don't think he means too but he is. He was all pissy when I said I thought I might just go for a cheap knock off model, he goes on about how I don't use anything more than that and how silly it is to get some crappy one. I'd guess he thought he was being encouraging telling me I should get a nicer one. But he makes comments about how I'm obsessed with it and such and spend so much time looking at it. I'm tempted to just not get one at all. I don't find the comments amusing. Maybe I'll just buy myself an analog watch. 

I hardly buy anything for myself so I don't feel bad about spending money sometimes. In the last 2 months I've not spent a cent on myself as we've been in budget lockdown. I used to budget a bit each month if I found a shirt at Goodwill or buy some exercise thing.  I often buy used clothes and not that often. But really this whole year I've not bought much. I did some work on the yard, although that is not solely for me. I bought a few weights and a rope. Hair is just cut a couple times a year at a cheap place and I've cut it myself before too. I honestly do need some more clothes for outside exercise but I've been too cheap or not had extra money to spare, maybe some time this winter if we don't get anymore suprise billsđŸ™‚

Have fun with your friends.

My dh bought himself a cheaper knock-off and it didn't even last a month. He really liked it, though, and has purchased a fitbit. I have a friend who's dh is actually obsessed with his tracking system. He has it hooked up to his bike as well. He got the whole system for his dw (my friend) who could care less, but she uses it because he sets it all up for her. 

Funny how people can be so different. I would never bother with that stuff anymore, though I did use a manual web-based version and liked the pretty graphs that were the output, but some people absolutely love it,. Hope your dh doesn't kill your motivation with his comments. If you find a benefit with your physical and mental health using a tracker, then go for it! 

• Like 4

Good Friday morning all.

I've fallen off the wagon a bit in the last few days. The double whammy of the holiday knocking me for a loop in terms of schedule and energy, plus the presence in the house of far too much food I shouldn't be eating is, to say the least, not great. I've managed a walk every day, bumping up to two miles every day.

I did do my virtual Turkey Trot 5K yesterday morning, bettering my per mile pace by just a squinch compared to the virtual 5K I walked earlier this month. 

But the daily stationary biking has not happened in a few days, and, of course, I didn't have PT on Thursday because of the holiday. In the previous two weeks, I had started whittling my weight back down, and it has crept back up by nearly two pounds this week. So, time to buckle down again.

I woke up this morning really sore all over -- recovering-from-being-broken right arm aching, muscle-I-pulled -in-my-right-thigh-while-tripping-over-an-extension-cord-in-the-garage-yesterday screaming every time I tried to put weight on it. more-affected-by-neuropathy-than-the-other-foot left foot and ankle stiff and tingling, etc.--but determined to do what I could. I walked a somewhat slow two miles outside, then made it through about 40 minutes of video-based cardio (some of which I had to adapt a bit). After that and some stretching, I feel almost human. 

I also ate a chocolate cupcake for breakfast, but, hey, small victories, right?

Edited by Jenny in Florida
  • Like 5

@wintermom I hope you get to enjoy some more snow soon. Your pictures were lovely.

@Soror I  sympathise with your Fitbit woes, as mine only sometimes  syncs with my new phone. I've asked Father Christmas for a Garmin.

@Jenny in Florida as you say, small steps.

@Ali in OR I'm  thankful for the group too.

@FarmingMomma you're a tough lady!

@Dreamergal Cooeee! Where are youuuuuuu?

A good exercise day. NW at lunchtime and Arms and Abs yoga after work. Finished deep cleaning the sitting room. I'm hoping to swim tomorrow. 

Porridge with mushrooms and yoghurt. Leftover lentils with edamame and eggs. Sea bass with courgette and pea shoots.

Have a great weekend!

• Like 4

Hey, question: Can anyone recommend a free app for my (android) phone that will track my mileage and give me updates while I'm walking about how far I've gone and my pace?

I did a virtual 5K a few weeks ago that used the RTRT.me app. It gave me a countdown before I started, then told me every time I had walked half a mile and what my pace was for that half mile. Then it told me when I reached my 5K and gave me all the stats for that walk. That package was tied to that specific event, so I can't just turn on the same thing and go again. Run Across America has an app that is free but is also tied to specific races. 

I have and use a Fitbit, but it doesn't have this feature.

Any suggestions? I'd prefer free, of course, but I'm willing to shell out a few bucks for a good option.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jenny in Florida said:

Hey, question: Can anyone recommend a free app for my (android) phone that will track my mileage and give me updates while I'm walking about how far I've gone and my pace?

I did a virtual 5K a few weeks ago that used the RTRT.me app. It gave me a countdown before I started, then told me every time I had walked half a mile and what my pace was for that half mile. Then it told me when I reached my 5K and gave me all the stats for that walk. That package was tied to that specific event, so I can't just turn on the same thing and go again. Run Across America has an app that is free but is also tied to specific races. 

Any suggestions? I'd prefer free, of course, but I'm willing to shell out a few bucks for a good option.

Have you looked at Strava? That might have that function. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Jenny in Florida said:

Map my Fitness does this.

5 hours ago, Laura Corin said:

@wintermom I hope you get to enjoy some more snow soon. Your pictures were lovely.

@Soror I  sympathise with your Fitbit woes, as mine only sometimes  syncs with my new phone. I've asked Father Christmas for a Garmin.

@Jenny in Florida as you say, small steps.

@Ali in OR I'm  thankful for the group too.

@FarmingMomma you're a tough lady!

@Dreamergal Cooeee! Where are youuuuuuu?

A good exercise day. NW at lunchtime and Arms and Abs yoga after work. Finished deep cleaning the sitting room. I'm hoping to swim tomorrow. 

Porridge with mushrooms and yoghurt. Leftover lentils with edamame and eggs. Sea bass with courgette and pea shoots.

Have a great weekend!

You have been good this year I'm sure Santa will have a nice gift for you đŸ™‚

• Like 2