Menu

Needle Biopsy ?

jpinal205

My 24 year old daughter has a lump in her right breast. After an ultrasound she now has two choices. The radiologist feels strongly that it is a complex cyst and we could wait and have another ultrasound in six months or a needle biopsy now Her doctor recommends the biopsy mostly because she knows what basket case I'll be. My dh survived T-cell lymphoma but it was awful. Dd is nervous especially since no one can go with her. Can anyone tell me what may be involved with a needle biopsy?

• Sad 1

I've had many. They will numb the area, and it may hurt a little, but the thought of it is worse than the actual procedure. It will probably be done in the Dr's office, very low key, and doesn't take a long time. If they get fluid, they can drain the cyst or cysts and they'll send it off for evaluation. They may be able to drain the whole thing, and the lump will be gone. I would do it now to give her relief and to set your minds at ease. It is a scary thing for a young woman, but it's really not that painful. Sorry she's having to deal with this. Even though it's not that bad, I always found myself very tired after these procedures, usually from stress. Plan to pamper her a little afterwards, and maybe go out for treats.

ETA: She might have some slight bruising and soreness for a day or two. She wouldn't have to miss work or anything, but she may want to take it easy - no heavy exercising.

Edited by Tiberia
  • Like 2

My experience fits Tiberia's. They'll numb the area, insert a needle, draw out the fluid, and put a band aid on it. Easy peasy with little pain. I don't think I needed to take Tylenol or other painkiller afterwards.

If she has an ultrasound needle biopsy, it's a little more complicated, but not much more painful.

Hope the results ease your and your dd's minds!

The numbing needle hurt, a sharp prick only like a wasp sting, and the biopsy needle didn’t hurt at all.  I drove myself to and from, no problem.  No pain meds needed afterwards, and it turned out to be a lump of fat (this was before I was fat, LOL, so I don’t know what was up with that.). Honestly, as things go this is on the easy peasy side of medical ‘procedures.’  

My DH is also a t-cell lymphoma survivor. It does make things like this feel more loaded.

My DD has had two ultrasound guided FNAs in the last year (most recent one was last week). The numbing agent does burn going in. My DD did have some pressure/pain during the procedure (but her biopsy was in a less fleshy area -- thyroid). She was also sore for the next day or so but nothing major. 

It's basically just a doctor appointment but a little longer, with a surgeon.  You're in and out.  They numb it, it feels really stressful ahead of time because of the prep and because they do treat it like a surgical procedure, but it's actually quite simple and it's quickly done and over.  I'd recommend she have it done and then no more worry.  (I've had everything over the years because almost every woman in my family has had breast cancer, all the way back to my great-grandmother.) 

• Like 1

I’m sorry she has to go through that. I agree that it was worse in my head than in real life. Mine was ultrasound-guided. Oh, and they allowed me some Xanax for that and the MRI. I am sure that helped as I was very anxious. 

I don’t think I could ever wait six months wondering. 

I had an ultrasound guided one and don't remember it being painful other than the pricking sensation. I didn't take any pain medication because there really wasn't anything I can now remember. It was the journey leading to the biopsy and ultimately for me the lumpectomy that was hard. Even though there was pain post-surgery I didn't really mind because it was finally over. 

I've had many, many breast cysts, especially at that age. Very common and easily diagnosed by ultrasound. If the radiologist feels sure it is a cyst, I wouldn't worry about it. They tend to go away by themselves. 

That said--if she is going to worry about it, I am a firm believer in testing for her peace of mind. 

I would encourage you to leave the choice up to her. 

• Like 1