Menu

Ancient History Curriculum

Hi! This is my first foray into the High School Board as I"m researching for next year when my oldest starts 9th grade.

I'm looking for 9th grade level Ancient History course for him. I've found Beautiful Feet which is literature based, the SWB History of the Ancient World, though not sure how to use that one, or Dave Raymond's Antiquity (which has way too much writing for this child). Are there any others you know of that I could look into?

I'd like something with minimal writing, as that's a huge struggle for him. Secular or Christian-doesn't matter, but I don't want it based on the Bible (meaning I want to get away from what is covered in the Bible, if that makes sense). I don't want a literature heavy course (BF is about the most I would want). I'm ok with some non-fiction mixed with some fiction/literature, but not quite sure how to put it together.

This is for a child who loves ancient history. We've already read SOTW Ancients (multiple times). Not sure what other choices I have-minimal hands-on stuff, no busy work (word search/fill in the blank worksheets). Anything else you'd need to know to make recommendations?
Thanks!!!

(He's also requested British History, maybe for 10th grade, if you know of anything for that.)

Edited by alisha

I have a one year two credit English/history course that I've written that's for European history that includes a substantial unit on Greece and Rome. The link is in my sig. It sounds like it might work for you, but it wouldn't be exactly what you're envisioning.

Since he loved SOTW, it would seem that SWB's History of the Ancient World would be the obvious next step. You do realize that there is an accompanying teaching guide, right?

• Like 1

We used History of the Ancient World (SWB) mostly in audio though we also had it on kindles... I bought the teachers guide and map book, we used the maps a lot and the teachers guide we used, but a lot less. I often pulled questions from it for discussion or shorter writing responses. We also used some great courses series. And a bit of this and that. Loved the book, though. 

We are currently doing Medieval and using the Beautiful Feet guide supplementally ( I had already purchased most of the books they use- including the one they use as a spine- before I even found their program). I'm not following all of it but I did pick up the guide and have used it as a helpful timeline. I can't speak to the Ancients but the Medieval one seems pretty good, though again we are using some Great Courses, alternate lit selections, more in depth writing, etc... because it isnt quite what we wanted level-wise ... and we have previously studied some of the lit selections. 

For British history, we built our own but used this as a spine for my high schooler and a different book for my then-middle-schooler...

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/1465417702/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_TTfxFbC1SMV69

Edited by theelfqueen
  • Like 2

We used Great Courses lectures (History of the Ancient World A Global Perspective and Foundations of Western Civ). I have them take notes on the lectures and write a few papers on topics of interest to them. It's a fun course with lots of great content without requiring a lot of output.

Alternatively, we have also used Our Human Story textbook by K12 (found used on  Amazon) if they prefer a git 'er done approach.

• Like 1

Welcome to planning for high school!

You can absolutely do a History credit that does not involve any related historical fiction or Literature from that time period. It could definitely be a History course using all nonfiction texts, primary sources, documentaries, video lectures etc.

And you don't have to do a lot of writing for your History. You can choose to do as many, as few, or none of whatever writing assignments might be included in a History program.

And, you can save writing entirely for just the English credit, if you're still getting up to speed with writing. Perhaps consider doing one English assignment per semester that involves the Ancient History -- in the first semester, do a shortish (3-5 paragraph) reader response from a discussion question in the History, and then consider doing a 3-4 page research paper with citations in the second semester about a topic of special interest, where he digs into several resources to go deeper on that topic and then write it up as an expository/informational paper with citations.

So, assignments as part of the English credit, but that delve into the History, so some integration between subjects.

Or-- count those assignments as part of your History, and just set aside whatever Writing you would be doing at that time for the English credit, so the focus is writing for the History credit.

Just a few ideas! Warmly, Lori D.

Edited by Lori D.
  • Like 3

Although the History of the Ancient World Teachers Guide suggests a lot of writing, it hardly requires it. As the teacher of record you decide what is an appropriate amount of writing for your student.

With one student I might suggest having them write the Who, What, Wheres, then do the comprehension questions orally with you, and either write or discuss a regular selection of the critical thinking exercises. My twins each choose one to write out of every three chapters we cover. You could even do these orally too if that makes more sense for your dc. They are the basis for some good discussions on occasion.

We added some ancient literature and three of the excellent Vandiver Great Courses.

If you want a traditional textbook, Spielvogel's Western Civilizations used to be the one(s) commonly mentioned.

• Like 2

One child used History Odyssey's Ancient History Level 3 and the second child used SWB's History of the Ancient World.  We were very happy with both, although the HO history is very in-depth, requires more than a credit's worth of work, and can be difficult to schedule because one day is a slight amount of work and the next day is an essay.

• Like 1

You don't have to use a prefab course.  You can make decisions on your own. I have created history courses around my kids' interests.  My college sr is majoring in Russian and French.  She read French history in French.  She studied Russian history.  She even spent a semester studying communism in the 20th century.  I look for resources and assigned her reading, documentaries, and created her assignmentms. 

My current college freshman spent 3 yrs reading through world history.  We broke this series into 3 yrs worth of reading.  (She says she learned more from these books than any other history books she has read.  She really loved them and retained a lot.  I incorporated Great Course lectures.  I assigned research essays around her reading.  

• Like 1