Menu

How to phrase it to not sound like a b*tch

Soror

My kids obviously have a virus of some sort that is contagious. The only place they could have got it was TKD. I don't want to be all blamey but they caught something from someone there and we can't go until tests show it isn't COVID and they aren't symptomatic so they spread whatever it is to anyone else.

Dear TKD Owner/Manager,

Please be advised that as of 8/18/2020, A LastName and B Lastname will not be attending their TKD lessons due to a virus exposure. It is possible that the exposure took place at the TKD facility since they do not engage in any other activity outside the home and nobody else in the household has been exposed to a known virus source or has experienced any symptoms. A and B are currently symptompatic and are awating their Covid-19 test results.

A and B will resume their TKD classes once they are asymptompatic and their test resutls show Covid-19 negative status.

Regards,

Z LastName

++++++++

Stay in third person, avoid I/you, us/them, keep to facts only.

• Like 16

Odds are, if they felt up to working out, that they caught it from an asymptomatic carrier who doesn’t know they have it or someone who didn’t feel symptoms for another day or two. No matter how you word your message, the ‘guilty party’ may not even know they’re guilty. Indoor group exercise is just a bad idea right now. They couldn’t keep professional athletes virus-free in a ‘bubble.’ There’s no way that groups of families coming and going aren’t going to spread it in a gym/dojo situation. 

• Like 5

33 minutes ago, soror said:

My kids obviously have a virus of some sort that is contagious. The only place they could have got it was TKD. I don't want to be all blamey but they caught something from someone there and we can't go until tests show it isn't COVID and they aren't symptomatic so they spread whatever it is to anyone else.

I think engaging in indoor exercise activity for any age is risky right now. I'd send the letter someone posted above, but I wouldn't have them return after they are feeling better.

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, soror said:

What would you be blaming someone for? It sounds like you're assuming someone must have gone to TKD knowing they were sick, but that isn't necessarily the case. Covid is by no means the only virus that can be spread by an asymptomatic person. 

Just let them know that your kids are sick, and that they were at TKD on this date. 

• Like 7

7 minutes ago, hippiemamato3 said:

I think engaging in indoor exercise activity for any age is risky right now. I'd send the letter someone posted above, but I wouldn't have them return after they are feeling better.

This. I liked the letter above. I am also on the "no indoor things" right now bench, especially exercise. So I'd amend that part of the letter. I might make it say something like "we will let you know when they are able to resume TKD." Of course, then you'd need to follow up in a few weeks and inform them that after consideration you are terminating classes for this (semester, year, session, etc...). 

I'd absolutely consider any money already paid a sunk cost. 

Also, if you have gone anywhere, you could have brought the virus home to your children. Unless none of you have gone anywhere other than TKD, the virus certainly could have come from elsewhere. So I wouldn't "blame" TKD. 

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, RosemaryAndThyme said:

Dear TKD Owner/Manager,

Please be advised that as of 8/18/2020, A LastName and B Lastname will not be attending their TKD lessons due to a virus exposure. It is possible that the exposure took place at the TKD facility since they do not engage in any other activity outside the home and nobody else in the household has been exposed to a known virus source or has experienced any symptoms. A and B are currently symptompatic and are awating their Covid-19 test results.

A and B will resume their TKD classes once they are asymptompatic and their test resutls show Covid-19 negative status.

Regards,

Z LastName

++++++++

opinion

I like that example. but I'd revise one sentence slightly to not sound blamey or b itchy about it.   options I'd select are from  either A.  " It is possible that the exposure took place at the TKD facility due to timing of symptoms." or B . " It is possible that the exposure took place at the TKD facility." 

• Like 1

I don't know that you can definitively say they got it at TKD. Is anyone in your household working or getting groceries? I mean, it's statistically higher they did but you can't be sure. 

I'd just say they're sick and you're awaiting test results. Mention the possibility that they either picked it up or shared it at TKD, so they can notify their other students. 

• Like 3

I do think it's a good idea to mention they most likey caught it at TKD, as that would be a reason for the TKD place to advise other parents to watch for symptoms.

Going to TKD means risking exposure IMO.  We are doing it too.  Most people are masking throughout the class, but we know that masks don't really prevent exposure.

I would definitely go back to TKD after the kids quarantine and feel better.  If it was Covid, then there is a lot less risk in going back than there was before.

I hope your kids feel better soon.

1 hour ago, RosemaryAndThyme said:

Dear TKD Owner/Manager,

Regards,

Z LastName

++++++++

I used a version of this. Thanks all. Yes, iITA that it is a risk. I just let them go this week as it is a small class and numbers are low here. I didn't and don't feel great about it but have been very torn. 

• Like 3
  • Sad 1