Menu

Educational youtube finds?

PeterPan

I'm realizing my ds LOVES youtube and I'm not harnessing it. @wendyroo mentioned with Adrienne. Any other gems? Ds is 11 but with his ASD2 he can enjoy anything from gr2 to college level basically. Science, history, Shakespeare... You literally just never know. Any gems you've found? Preferably a series so I can get a lot of days in a row from it?

Here are my faves...

FOR HISTORY
Extra Credits History (look up "extra credits history chronological and you'll get chronological playlists...look for the ones to saying Pre-History - 1699 CE and 1700 to present because those are the official, complete ones.  It's my favorite history series.

Invicta - Pretty in depth and interesting.   I haven't watched a ton but all of them so far were good. 

Crash Course American and World History (it's really good, but occasional does a joke thats a little not so kid friendly.   The only one that really bothered me and that I would purposefully skip  was something referring to a sex tape on the video about Mesopotamia one.   Everything else has been pretty mild...like one that comes up a few times is he refers to something as a "long as* time" and then says he's not swearing because he means a donkey, and the animation shows a donkey shaped timeline.   But the videos are really excellent otherwise.) 

For Art History:
TICE Art History (shorter, animated videos)
Susan Euler (longer more in depth videos)

HISTORY AND SCIENCE:
TedEd has good short history and science videos, and if you go to TedEd.com in stead of Youtube to find them, they have extra quizzes and stuff if you want that.
(If you only watch one TedEd history video, watch "What did democracy really mean in Athens?"  It blew my mind.)

• Thanks 1

Ooohhh....I should get you a list.  Catherine has done an amazing job of self educating through YouTube.  She watches all these incredible videos about classic literature.  She got a perfect score on her sister's test on the Divine Comedy based on what she'd watched.  And she watches all this science stuff and all this history stuff.  And cooking shows.  After the shut down, we had her do math, and then she pretty much just watched YouTube, and I was AMAZED at what she learned.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Terabith said:

Ooohhh....I should get you a list.  Catherine has done an amazing job of self educating through YouTube.  She watches all these incredible videos about classic literature.  She got a perfect score on her sister's test on the Divine Comedy based on what she'd watched.  And she watches all this science stuff and all this history stuff.  And cooking shows.  After the shut down, we had her do math, and then she pretty much just watched YouTube, and I was AMAZED at what she learned.  

Yes! And I go in yesterday and he's watching something about the best way to lure sharks... So I think he can roll with this. He just spends a lot of time watching video games, which isn't useful. 

Well thanks ladies, these lists are amazing!! 

7 hours ago, goldenecho said:

This is a particularly good point, that I could use videos to bring some of the big question type instruction I am not good at. I was tinking very grammar stage, but you're right it could be so much more. Good, good point. That gives me a lot to think about. (what questions he's ready to ponder, question of the week, etc.)

• Like 1

On 8/11/2020 at 11:09 AM, Terabith said:

Overly Sarcastic

My 17 year old loves Overly Sarcastic productions, but I would really preview it first with an 11 year old.   Some of them would be fine...others, especially some of the Greek myths, you might want to avoid or at least want to talk about with your kid or watch with them.   If there's violence or sexual deviance in a myth, they don't euphemise it...they talk about it.   Its not dealt with offensively or gratuitiously dwelt on or anything, but expect things like a picture of an ancient Greek mural of people carrying a giant penis through town...can't remember which one that was in.   And some of what is talked about and not pictured is worse. )

That being said, Overly Sarcastic productions convinced my teen to read a ancient Chinese epic novel, so, that's a huge plus, and it's hilarious and well written/animated.  

Edited by goldenecho
changed overtly to gratuitously cause that's more what I meant. They do overtly talk about sexual stuff in myths, and violence too, but are just frank about it, not overly dwelling on it.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, goldenecho said:

My 17 year old loves Overly Sarcastic productions, but I would really preview it first with an 11 year old.   Some of them would be fine...others, especially some of the Greek myths, you might want to avoid or at least want to talk about with them.   If there's sexual deviance in a myth, they don't euphemise it...they talk about it.   Its not dealt with offensively or overly dwelt on or anything, but there might be a picture of an ancient Greek mural of people carrying a giant penis through town...can't remember which one that was in.   And some of what is talked about and not pictured is worse. )

That being said, Overly Sarcastic productions convinced my teen to read a ancient Chinese epic novel, so, that's a huge plus, and it's hilarious and well written.  

Yeah, Overly Sarcastic and Crash Course are the only ones I've watched any of myself, and we're kind of a weird family in terms of what we're okay with.  My kids had almost no media exposure beyond a few pre-selected tv shows until about age ten, because my kids are incredibly sensitive to tons of things most kids aren't sensitive to.  (Mostly any sort of narrative tension.)  But we're also fine with cursing and frank talk about pretty much anything, so my kids went from pretty much nothing to more or less free range on the internet in a pretty short period of time.  So I would definitely not rely on Cat's recommendations without previewing for yourself, for sure!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Smarter every day (Variety of science topics)
  • townsends (life in the 1800s)
  • Jonathon Bird’s Blue World
  • korean Englishman (edutainment but one learns a lot about South Korea)
  • Dan and Joel (short documentaries on everyday/often overlooked people of South Korea)
  • Artrageous with Nate
  • the Great War 
  • Skype a Scientist
  • see if your state historical society, DNR, or PBS station has made any videos
  • tv shows on you tube: Sister Wendy’s Art series and Stitch in Time (historical clothing), Rick Steve’s travel videos

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

https://www.pbs.org/digital-studios/

PBS Digital Studios creates content channels on youtube. So far I'm liking Physics Girl and Gross Science, but there are many more on ther list.

https://fordhaminstitute.org/national/commentary/best-educational-youtube-channels-kids Another really good list. Extra Credits Extra History looks good. 

Edited by PeterPan
  • Like 2

Some of the video quality is poor, but I liked these Eureka Physics videos:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL3Oz7LBZ9-7qgjEwuiGQLX8UwQG6Tk1e8

I also like Dr. Carlson Science Theatre for physics (not you tube but good):  https://web.ics.purdue.edu/~mjcarlso/ST/videos.html

Schoolhouse rock is timeless: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC1yty6F-2neYfwE8xc1A72Q

Shakespeare: The Animated Tales  https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLb3xYpfnO7Xq1oXh79sttiW5sJ0iFDN2Z

Edited by cintinative
  • Like 1

Good Housekeeping sewing classes. Middle Girl loves Gertie's Sewing Show, and went from zero to making herself some beautiful clothes in just a few covid-months. 

Not YouTube, but the late, lamented Schickele Mix radio show is available (pirated only, alas) in various places around the internet. It's great music education.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Violet Crown said:

Not YouTube, but the late, lamented Schickele Mix radio

Oh, that is a blast from the past! I still pull out my Schickle CD and we go sit in the car to hear Beethoven's 5th played like a football game. 😂😂😂 My grandfather used to play it on vinyl when I was young.

Edited by SusanC
posted before I was done reminiscing.
  • Haha 2

Musication, and Lectura Rithmica (search term) are playalong videos, usually for Disney or other fairly popular music, using rhythms or boomwhackers (piano, bells, etc). I really think there is a college class or something  in Spain that has students make them, because there are a whole lot of them in Spanish. 

Prodigies music has some nice early music videos on their channel (it's mostly the older ones they had before they got their separate website, etc).

• Thanks 1

On 8/26/2020 at 10:37 AM, dmmetler said:

Musication

Ok, this is crazy cool. I'm trying to think about more ways I can use this. My ds has had significant difficulty with rhythm and has very poor VMI (visual motor integration) scores. So we can hit the VMI and get some rhythm work in using these videos. I don't happen to have boomwhackers. What else can I do this with? The boomwacker videos seem more straightforward. I'm watching one of the percussion videos, and it's very complex. If you just want something more simple, like rhythm sticks, percussive instruments (friction pads, triangle/bell, etc.), with a *very simple* starting point, what would be my best bet?

Ooo, maybe you already answered my question!!! I found that Lectura Ritmica Musilandia, and it is simpler! He could follow along with those and *clap* as the notes light up. Any more like this? I found their playlist. And is the skill called Rhythm Reading? Interesting. So much EF going on there, and then to combine EF and VMI, crazy powerful.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, PeterPan said:

Ok, this is crazy cool. I'm trying to think about more ways I can use this. My ds has had significant difficulty with rhythm and has very poor VMI (visual motor integration) scores. So we can hit the VMI and get some rhythm work in using these videos. I don't happen to have boomwhackers. What else can I do this with? The boomwacker videos seem more straightforward. I'm watching one of the percussion videos, and it's very complex. If you just want something more simple, like rhythm sticks, percussive instruments (friction pads, triangle/bell, etc.), with a *very simple* starting point, what would be my best bet?

Ooo, maybe you already answered my question!!! I found that Lectura Ritmica Musilandia, and it is simpler! He could follow along with those and *clap* as the notes light up. Any more like this? I found their playlist. And is the skill called Rhythm Reading? Interesting. So much EF going on there, and then to combine EF and VMI, crazy powerful.

Yes, rhythmic reading. Many will tell you what level they are as far. Once he's really good at that, bucket drumming playalongs would be the next step up, but they tend to be harder. (If you want to be added to my Google classroom for my bucket drumming class, let me know. I'll be creating playlists for a lot of these kinds of things)

Boomwhacker videos can be used with any instrument-tape flags are awesome for color coding, but something like a mallet percussion instrument or a keyboard also adds fine motor (and therefore increased difficulty and chance of frustration), while deskbells or boomwhackers are much more gross motor and tend to be easier. They're also very cooperative,which is one reason why they get used a lot in school music classes :).

Edited by dmmetler
  • Thanks 1

Here's another one of our favorites...  I can't figure out how to make a proper link: 

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCngpdIYbl5REio0EaQjlHSA

It's a channel called "Crazy for Indian Food". 

No annoying music or speaking.  Beautiful footage of the Indian countryside.  Picking fresh vegetables from the field; cooking them in a low-tech way, right out in the field.  Wildlife sounds in the background and interesting, healthy, and (I assume?) traditional recipes.  No translation needed; the videos are very clear because he shows each ingredient.  I like seeing the types of cookware he uses.  It's a very meditative, relaxing, beautiful, peaceful process to watch.  My kids love watching this channel.  

• Thanks 2

12 hours ago, vonbon said:

For anyone studying the Middle Ages, knights, horses, handcrafts...or just looking for a great history series, this is a great channel:  Modern History TV (on Youtube).

https://www.youtube.com/c/ModernHistoryTV/featured

The videos are clean and have well-researched content. I like that it's mostly live footage vs animations, flow charts, etc.

Ok, so that's really stellar. He should definitely get into that, lol.

17 minutes ago, vonbon said:

"Crazy for Indian Food". 

Seems kinda ASMR, right? Very nice.

10 hours ago, PeterPan said:

Seems kinda ASMR, right? Very nice.

What's ASMR?  I googled it, but I'm not sure this is what you're talking about--  ?  😆

ASMR
Autonomous sensory meridian response, sometimes auto sensory meridian response, is a tingling sensation that typically begins on the scalp and moves down the back of the neck and upper spine.
  • Like 1