Menu

Georgette Heyer?

alisoncooks

I love Jane Austen. I like George Eliot. I enjoy Jane Eyre. 

I do like historical settings. And romances. 

So...Georgette Heyer? I know she was in the 20s and wrote historical novels. My library has a ton of her ebooks available. Should I dive in? Are they any good?  Any fans here...?

There are a few Georgette Heyer fans on this board. I have enjoyed her books. Some are better than others. As Princess Mommy says, light and fun and silly.

So far my two favorites of the Regency romances are Cotillion and The Grand Sophy.  Of the mysteries I liked A Christmas Party best. I've found the mysteries very spotty. 

Edited by marbel
  • Like 5

I'm a big fan of her Regency novels - as above posters said, light and fun and silly.  I comfort-read over ten of her books at the beginning of the pandemic.  Some of my favorites are Sprig Muslin, Cotillion, The Foundling, and The Nonesuch, although I like almost all of them.  (Not as big of a fan of the ones in the 1770s or pre-Revolutionary France, although the level of conspicuous consumption in the latter explains a lot about why the Revolution happened, lol.)

• Like 2

I like them! It did take me a book or two to get used to the Regency era slang so here's a site if you find yourself scratching your head Regency Cant and Expressions

My favorite is Frederica 🥰

and Venetia and Sylvester are fun ones, too! Richard Armitage reads abridged versions of  both Venetia  and  Sylvester - I've read the unabridged and you don't miss any of the story by listening to the abridged version (plus, it's Richard Armitage!!).

Edited by Mothersweets
  • Like 2

20 hours ago, PrincessMommy said:

you should dive in.  She's more like Jane Austen than Charlotte Bronte though.  Light and fun and silly. 

I read a lot of Georgette Heyer when I was a teenager and enjoyed it.  You won't get the sharp observations and uncompromising wit of Jane Austen from her though.

• Like 2