Menu

WWYD - Covid content

skimomma

Well, unfortunately, I am not going to give advice, but I will tell my story.

Last December, I had a huge headache after coming back from a conference in las vegas. I don't usually get headaches either. I had this headache for 5 days and was constantly tired. I mean by 3 pm I was gone. The tv was my babysitter. 😫😂 I was much better by Saturday.  I finally took something for my headache friday night.

Soon after that my husband was congested. We didn't think anything of it because he has sinus issues anyhow.  But after the holidays, my husband told me he was tired. And it took him about 2 months for the congestion to go away. One night I listened to him and he actually stopped breathing every 4th breath. We thought he had sleep apnea. We were contemplating seeing a doctor about it too, but then shelter in place happened.

Covid 19 was not well known during that time.

Having said that, there are other viruses out there as well. So we are not sure of anything.

Just now, happysmileylady said:

Even in a person who doesn't normally get headaches, there are perfectly plausible reasons for a person to get a headache, and late nights plus lots of physical activity in hot temps makes a headache very plausible.  In fact, it's possible the person was dehydrated, which can happen even if the person is drinking lots of water.  And if they didn't realize they were dehydrated they could still possibly be.  

In addition, hormone changes, weather changes and millions of other things can all trigger a headache, even in a person who doesn't normally get headaches.  

The likelihood that the person's headache is Covid related is incredibly small, and it is MUCH more likely that the headache is due to something else.  

I agree with you but there are two things that give me pause.

The first is the eye ache.  They report is feels like their eyes do when they have a fever but very mild.

The second is that we know of and actually had to get tested because of a person involved with the group that was 100% asymptomatic but tested positive several weeks ago.  It was a routine screening.  So now I am super paranoid.

5 minutes ago, desertflower said:

Well, unfortunately, I am not going to give advice, but I will tell my story.

Last December, I had a huge headache after coming back from a conference in las vegas. I don't usually get headaches either. I had this headache for 5 days and was constantly tired. I mean by 3 pm I was gone. The tv was my babysitter. 😫😂 I was much better by Saturday.  I finally took something for my headache friday night.

Soon after that my husband was congested. We didn't think anything of it because he has sinus issues anyhow.  But after the holidays, my husband told me he was tired. And it took him about 2 months for the congestion to go away. One night I listened to him and he actually stopped breathing every 4th breath. We thought he had sleep apnea. We were contemplating seeing a doctor about it too, but then shelter in place happened.

Covid 19 was not well known during that time.

Having said that, there are other viruses out there as well. So we are not sure of anything.

Yeah.  If the headache continues, we will cancel for sure.

7 minutes ago, skimomma said:

The first is the eye ache.  They report is feels like their eyes do when they have a fever but very mild.

The second is that we know of and actually had to get tested because of a person involved with the group that was 100% asymptomatic but tested positive several weeks ago.  It was a routine screening.  So now I am super paranoid.

So some of you may have been in contact with an asymptomatic carrier?  That would give me pause, along with the eye issues.  Even if your tests were negative, I think it would make me more cautious, since there can be false negatives.  (If I’m understanding correctly?)

Did everyone in the group get tested last time?  ... I don’t know what I would do, but I would for sure hate to be the one to cause another flurry of testing and worry.

This is hard, isn’t it?

ETA: without the potential exposure already, I’d fall on the side of many causes for headaches.  I think.

Edited by Spryte
  • Like 1

The headache sounds like it could easily be explained by the heat and late night.

But in these current times, I would not have a household member participate in any  group activity, even outside. Canceling may be an inconvenience, but a covid outbreak surely is more so. And most especially not if they already had an infected person a few weeks ago. 

Edited by regentrude
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Spryte said:

So some of you may have been in contact with an asymptomatic carrier?  That would give me pause, along with the eye issues.  Even if your tests were negative, I think it would make me more cautious, since there can be false negatives.  (If I’m understanding correctly?)

Did everyone in the group get tested last time?  ... I don’t know what I would do, but I would for sure hate to be the one to cause another flurry of testing and worry.

This is hard, isn’t it?

Yes, the entire group was exposed to this person who tested positive 6 weeks ago.  All of the people in the group, all others who had been in contact with the person, and my entire family tested 4 weeks ago.  Everyone, about 30 people in all, tested negative as did the original person (two negatives, actually), all around 3-4 weeks ago.  I am not so concerned about that exposure but more that she had zero symptoms but somehow was positive....making me much more sensitive to ANY symptoms.

1 minute ago, regentrude said:

The headache sounds like it could easily be explained by the heat and late night.

But in these current times, I would not have a household member participate in any  group activity, even outside. Canceling may be an inconvenience, but a covid outbreak surely is more so.

I agree, which is why we cancel for sure if headache persists into another day.  Just wondering what to do if it goes away by morning AND person remains completely fine up until event is to begin.  It is already much better than it was yesterday so I feel like this is a decision we will need to make. 

11 minutes ago, happysmileylady said:

If you feel it necessary to cancel, then go ahead, there's nothing wrong with doing so.  But if you don't cancel, that's ok too.  The entire situation is incredibly low risk, which makes not cancelling a perfectly reasonable decision.  

This is where I need a reality check.  I know it is OK to cancel but of course would prefer not to.  Just want to make sure not cancelling if headache is gone tomorrow would generally be considered OK....since I don't feel I can think very objectively about this anymore.

If headache is gone and you decide to let the person participate, they should wear a mask, even outdoors. That provides the most protection to the other participants (other than staying home).  Here in Oregon, we now have a mandate to mask even outdoors when we can't maintain 6' distancing. It wouldn't appear weird to mask.

• Like 2

I am very careful about Covid precautions but I wouldn’t jump to thinking that the headache is COVID19. The fatigue that I had in suspected Covid (by my doctor but there were testing issues) was debilitating and lasted for weeks. I would give the person with the headache electrolytes (since those can be messed up by heat etc). If the outdoor event has masks and social distancing then I would not cancel. 

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, skimomma said:

Any signs of sinus infection? That can cause eye pain.

I'd be more wary of being in a group in general, than the headache in particular. 

• Like 1

I don’t think I would be doing a group gathering, but to protect others if family member does go a mask should be worn the whole time. If eating needs to be done go more than 10 feet, not just 6 ‘ away from others to take off mask. 

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Pen said:

I don’t think I would be doing a group gathering.

They do have a planned protocol in place and the group is only 4 people total.  The 3 that are not my household member live together already.  I'm not thrilled about it but the people involved are all going to be much further exposed when FTF classes start at their university just a few weeks later so I am trying to keep it in perspective.  This discussion is likely to happen again in my household should someone have any sort of symptoms after the semester starts and we have to decide what to do about attending class.  Sigh.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, skimomma said:

They do have a planned protocol in place and the group is only 4 people total.  The 3 that are not my household member live together already.  I'm not thrilled about it but the people involved are all going to be much further exposed when FTF classes start at their university just a few weeks later so I am trying to keep it in perspective.  This discussion is likely to happen again in my household should someone have any sort of symptoms after the semester starts and we have to decide what to do about attending class.  Sigh.

Will these same 3 be her roommates at university? 

Since possibly her father has it, unknown , I would go with minimum of outside plus 6’ distance plus mask / or 10’ minimum distance at any time mask needs to be off.   (Assuming she has no personal symptoms, should be feeling 100% and have no fever or loss of smell or rash or any other symptoms.) 

It won’t help universities to open in a few weeks if students are contagious at starting time. 

Some universities are requesting a quarantine time prior to start.  That plus testing and then as much as possible separating the university on campus population from outside seems like a good idea.  

But I expect quite a few May mostly shut down fairly soon, Because even if your daughter is fine and doesn’t spread anything, there are probably thousands of students doing things like this (or more so) and some probably are infectious and will spread it.   Any one ambiguous situation is probably small risk, but multiply by thousands and spread is probably pretty inevitable. 

34 minutes ago, Pen said:

Will these same 3 be her roommates at university? 

No.  They are housemates (with their own bedrooms) and mine will be living at home and is still in high school (although almost completely dual enrolled).  Judging by the behavior of the college students who are in town this summer, I expect fall semester to be a complete disaster.  Our bars and restaurants are open (with completely disregarded "guidelines") and hopping while we don't even get take-out.  The students DO mostly follow the mask mandate, unlike the locals, but most are living on top of each other in private rental houses and definitely not avoiding parties, the bars, or other activities.  But that is a whole different worry.  I am trying to tackle one anxiety bomb at a time.  

Our positive numbers are super low but as I said, test results are taking 14 days.  We called about getting a test for our suspect and they could not assign an appointment until next Wednesday and warned results are taking 14 days.  There is simply no point in testing given these constraints so my guess is we will not know when numbers spike until well after they have. Maybe they have already?  We are living with that assumption.  The parties involved have been very very cautious, partly because they wanted to be sure they could do this event.