Menu

Healthy hot drinks? (ACV, turmeric, etc)

alisoncooks

Does anyone have any tried-and-true recipes for health drinks? I'm looking to (partially) replace my coffee habit with a healthful alternative. I saw a ready-to-drink powder that looks interesting (https://squeezedried.com/) but it's pricey. I especially like the sound of their ACV drink and the turmeric one. And I like having low sugar...

Does anyone make something like this from scratch?

I just drink tea.  All day long.  All the different teas.  I'm guessing my green tea habit is the healthiest becauses I don't add anything to that.  Irish breakfast tea gets both milk and sugar because it's delicious that way.  Iced tea is nice in the summer.  It's fine without sugar now that I'm geriatric, but I would've died on the sweet tea hill as recently as 5-6 years ago.  Dh drinks unsweetened iced green tea and unsweetened iced hibiscus tea.  

• Like 1

I do drink some herbal teas but I can take or leave them. I'm specifically hoping to cut my coffee because of the sugar. I don't like it black. 

Also, I read ACV may help GERD/reflux and that really interests me. And turmeric's help with inflammation seems worth trying. 

I had the golden milk recipe I liked saved on Pinterest but now it is blocked and seems to not exist.  Bummer.

I forgot about it but I used to like golden milk at night.  I used plant milk and no sweetener.  The recipe I had made a paste of turmeric, black pepper and ?   The paste got kept in the fridge and added to "milk" warmed with some coconut oil.

I love this one in fall and winter.  It's a bit fussy but I love the taste and texture of it.

Hot Turmeric Milk
1.5 in. piece of turmeric root, peeled & grated
1.5 in. piece of ginger root, peeled & grated
1 TBSP honey (or whatever amount suits your taste)
1 C unsweetened almond milk (you probably substitute other milk options)
1 pinch ground turmeric (optional)
1 pinch ground cinnamon (optional)

1.Combine both roots and honey in a bowl and crush the roots with a spoon as much as possible.
2. Heat milk in saucepan over med-low heat until bubbles just start to form around the edges. Reduce to low.
3. Spoon about 2 TBSP of milk into root and honey mixture and stir to a paste consistency.
4. Add paste into the milk in the sauce pan and return to med-low heat. Blend with immersion blender.
5. Pour into mug and top with ground spices.

• Like 3

I like fresh mint teas, and my dd enjoys mushroom coffee. But out of curiosity, why do you think real coffee drinks are unhealthy?  I've been hearing for years that they have health benefits.  My uncle and brother, both long-time doctors, swear by coffee adding healthy benefits to your diet.  Also, scientists are learning that caffeine might actually help your liver process bad stuff more easily.   I'm talking about straight coffee, not the fancy stuff with loads of sweeteners and artificial flavor.

My brother works in a lab and he's been specifically testing out black coffee vs. other drinks, and the benefits of black coffee so far are quite startling!

I love Citrus Sunrise tea from Celestial Seasonings. No caffeine, lots of vitamin C, and blends well with other hot teas. I sometimes brew it together with green tea or lemon ginger. 

Other hot teas that I like: Tazo Zen, Lady Grey, and some peach teas. 

I do love coffee and drink it with heavy cream from a local dairy (grass fed). No sugar.

2 hours ago, peacelovehomeschooling said:

What is mushroom coffee?  

I drink decaf black coffee every single day.  It is delicious and starts my day off right.  I am not sure if I am getting any physical health benefits from it, but know for certain I am getting mental health benefits.

From what I understand, it's mushrooms that have been through a drying/extraction process and then mixed with regular coffee, so it still has a coffee flavor, but supposedly with a lot less caffeine.