Menu

Did I spoil my groceries??

HazelAnne

Ever since the pandemic began, I’ve been in the habit of leaving new groceries in the garage for a while before bringing them inside to avoid bringing in the virus with them. (Other than things requiring refrigeration). I hadn’t given much thought to temperature changes, until I noticed my coconut oil completely melted....

We bought a bunch of groceries several days ago, and it’s been in the 80’s/90’s outside- though cooler in the garage. Is my food ruined? I had things like shelf stable almond milk,  vitamins, oils, jars/cans of food out there. 

I won’t store food there in the future, but am not sure what to do with this current batch of food. I feel sick at the thought of tossing new groceries, but also do not want the family to eat unsafe food.
Anyone have any advice or experience? Do you store food in a garage during the summer? Does google have me overly worried, and the food is really fine? Or could it very well have gone bad in the heat? 
Sorry for the lengthy post...any input welcome. 

1 hour ago, happysmileylady said:

I would think the almond milk, vitamins, oils and canned/jarred stuff is fine.  Is there anything specific that you are concerned about?

Thanks for the reply! The food I'm probably most concerned about is the "better than bouillon" chicken and beef base...since they have meat in them. I'm feeling much better after reading these comments though!

4 hours ago, Æthelthryth the Texan said:

Agreed. The one exception I would say are types of pharmaceuticals- many of those get sort of grumpy over room temp and degrade and lose potency faster. They also can do so in freezing temps as well. They should really come in the house right away and be kept away from light, humidity and temp swings. 

I've thought about heat and medications. It seems to me heat would/should affect pharmaceuticals, but they're not likely shipped in a refrigerated truck/airplane, so I expect they've been exposed to heat (possibly for hours in the back of a truck) or sitting in a hot mailbox for a day if they were shipped to a house. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Æthelthryth the Texan said:

Oh and probiotics- those are not a fan of heat. It will kill them off, but you can typically refrigerate them. 

Thanks for bringing this up. I often get probiotics off Amazon...I'll switch to the grocery store for these during hotter months.

I'm quite sure that's fine.  We didn't used to have AC, and it would sometimes get into the 90's for days on end ~ our food in the cupboards was always fine.  Plus I think about taking things like pills and meds in suitcases on long trips to hot places, and surely those get very hot.  Unless it specifically says on the label "refrigeration required," I really wouldn't worry about it.

• Like 1