Menu

Comet Neowise

sassenach

Did you guys know that there's a comet visible for the next few nights?!! I did not until last night when dd came in from hanging out with neighborhood friends and announced she had seen a comet. I said, do you mean a shooting star? And she was like, NO, MOM, A COMET!

Sure enough, she was right. I'm so excited to see it tonight.

Edited by sassenach
  • Like 1

I tried to see it last night but too much cloud cover.   Is there a great place to check times for best viewing and where to look in the sky.    I heard a brief thing on our local radio yesterday that said just after 10PM last night in the NW (or NE) sky and then again just before sunrise 😜

21 hours ago, happysmileylady said:

I still haven't been able to find it, I think the trees around my yard are just too tall.  I might try to go elsewhere to see it.  

This was my problem too.  I'm going to have to go walk up the hill down the street that the water tower is on.

I live right on the eastern continental divide.  Well the RR right in front of my house is right on it, so then all the property slopes gently down and there are too many tall pine trees in the NW direction to see even though I stood on the RR, which is the highest area, I could not see.

Dh's photo from Monday night I think. 10:30pm, northwest section of the sky, hard to see with naked eye, and this is an 8 second exposure. Actually I have to see if I can get the file smaller--will post later if I can.

Edited by Ali in OR

3 hours ago, Mbelle said:

all the property slopes gently down and there are too many tall pine trees in the NW direction to see even though I stood on the RR, which is the highest area, I could not see.

Same here.  We'll have to get in the car and drive if we want to see it...  Or maybe wake up at 5 a.m. (?), which is definitely not happening.  🙃

We saw it the other night - it's very cool.  We took our 15X binoculars (on a tripod - those things are heavy!).   Next time - we'll take our telescope too.

eta: now it's visible after dusk instead of before dawn.  Around the lynx constellation.  So - near where the sun geos down.  It is rising so it will be higher each night.  It was at 10 degrees above the horizon, but will be climbing.

Edited by gardenmom5