Menu

Let's talk vegan food. I'm afraid I will feel hungry all the time.

Harriet Vane

I suffered a life-threatening abdominal infection several years ago and had to take big-deal antibiotics for seven months. I've had some lingering health effects from this major life event. Nothing major, but not what I was before that illness. In my research, I read the suggestion that going strictly vegan for a season can effect a "re-set" for digestive health. The idea is to avoid processed food, sugar, and meat, focusing on whole foods, and while doing so to also load up on probiotics.

Sounds so healthy, right? Actually, to me, it sounds like torture. I love meat, though after my illness I did switch to strictly no-antibiotic meat.

So I am thinking about whether or not to try this. I would do it for a minimum of six weeks, possibly extending longer to 2-3 months if I can manage it.

My questions:

--I am afraid I will be hungry all the time. I tend to crave protein. I eat eggs several times a week for breakfast and yes, I love meat.

--I avoid gluten as well and have done so (mostly) for a few years. It feels like doing gluten-free AND vegan is impossible. Silly, I know. But I would love any practical thoughts.

--Any recipes or practical suggestions are welcome, too.

Our church does a Daniel's Fast for 3 weeks each year.  It's basically a vegan diet.  Yes we do find ourselves eating more volume of food but we all lose weight on it even with eating more.  I normally eat red meat every day (I'm chronically anemic so I'm always trying to get more iron in)  but I've found it doable by really upping the amount if fat  I eat. However, it's not hangry type of hunger it more like a munchy/boredom type of hunger.  I don't think gluten free and vegan would be that hard.  For instance here's one recipe that is really a hit with my kids (we leave out the chick peas as no one likes those but you could easily use a different bean or lentil) https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/165190/spicy-vegan-potato-curry/

We basically sub brown lentils for most recipes that use hamburger.  So we have lentil tacos, lentil stuffed peppers (with brown rice). I use black lentils (which stay firmer) in stir fry.  

I've converted this recipe to use brown rice and I serve it to a large gathering each year.  I get so many requests each year.

https://www.hippressurecooking.com/lentil-risotto-peasant-cooking-under-pressure/

These homemade lara bars are great snacks (unless the dates are too high is sugar, it's a natural sugar so I'm not sure if that is a problem or not)

https://leitesculinaria.com/88638/recipes-homemade-larabars.html

So rather than focus on what you can't have.  Find ways to elevate the foods you can have.  I'm not a fan of potatoes because they are so bland to me but the curry I linked above has so much flavor that I don't feel like I'm eating a boring potato. It does require a new way of cooking but it would totally be worth trying if you stood a chance of improving your health.

• Like 2

Join some whole food plant based Facebook groups. They are a great source of recipes and advice. Also, wfpb websites like Forks Over Knives are helpful for beginners.

I haven't experienced hunger or cravings like you mentioned. When you're eating wfpb, you can eat a ton of food because it is all healthy. Your tastebuds change when you eat this way, and most people lose their taste for the foods they ate before. Once you've gone without animal products for awhile, the thought of eating them may become very unappealing - that's been my experience.

Wfpb and gluten free is very doable. There are so many great products available, like almond flour tortillas and chickpea or brown rice pasta.

• Like 3

It depends on how much you like the food.  If you don’t care much for it, it’s really hard to eat enough to get full.

I’m that way with a lot of bean dishes.  I like them fine, but not enough to get very full on them.  I’ve noticed that getting really great beans kind of moves me beyond that, like the pricey but picked over ones from Rancho Gordo.  I don’t care for tofu except in miso soup, so that’s the only way I eat it.  Pilafs are pretty good but I hate oatmeal and other ‘mushes’.  So I’d be working hard to fill up on those good beans, various grain pilafs, and vegetables.  I’d encourage you to lay in a big store of whatever you really like, and try to think of a wide variety of meals to use it for.  Otherwise I think that yes, you might get really really hungry.

• Like 1

One thing I forgot to add: My dh also went wfpb a few years ago (he got scared into it after reading How Not to Die 😉), but was skeptical at first about how it was going to go because he had always enjoyed meat. He not only has stuck with it, but says that he can't imagine going back to eating animal products ever again because he feels so great eating this way. 

• Like 2

Nuts are great sources of protein and good oils.  The life changing bread is almost pure nuts and seeds, and I find it very satisfying. 

https://www.mynewroots.org/site/2013/02/the-life-changing-loaf-of-bread/

I often make tofu and find that very satisfying too.  My favourite way is to cube it, marinate in soy sauce, rapeseed oil, a little turmeric and a little chili for an hour, then bake in the oven for 30 minutes at 200 degrees c.  It offers a really good umami/meaty taste to go with its protein.

I usually recommend this website for interesting vegan; he also writes recipes with dairy and meat, but this link should take you to a vegan search.

https://thedoctorskitchen.com/recipes?_sft_recipe-diets=vegan

• Like 2

Eh, I'm vegan by choice (about 20 years, now) and gluten free by necessity (going on three years, I think). The gluten thing is harder than vegan, for me. As others have said, both beans and nuts provide lots of protein, lots of variety in terms of ways to prepare. 

I promise, I don't go around all day every day feeling like I'm starving myself.

• Like 1

I have been vegetarian for 25 years with a 5-year time when I was vegan (while pregnant and bfing).  While I do currently consume dairy and eggs, I eat very little at home....which is pretty much all of the time now.  I am also a BIG eater and have always had a healthy appetite.  I did not feel any different, hunger-wise, while vegan.  I am not much for soy, in general, but GF whole grains, legumes, nuts, seeds, and avocados were the staples of my diet and I never felt any more hungry than normal.  In fact, I would be perfectly happy to have continued indefinitely except I got lazy.  It got too hard to inspect every label when out of the house, to question every server, and to tell a 3yo that birthday cake is not vegan.  Get a good cookbook or two and have a variety of satiating snacks on hand at all times and I suspect you will be pleasantly surprised.  As others have said, you might find that your preferences and cravings change once being vegan for a bit.

• Like 1

We eat vegan, gluten-free (mostly for me but DD is completely gluten-free), and sugar free. We've been eating this way for almost three years. The first month was the hardest for us as, I think, our bodies were adjusting to it and we needed to figure out exactly how many calories we needed. DD blogs and shares vegan recipes at www.theversatilevegans.com and we did a post on different ways to ensure you get enough protein/sources of protein. There are lots of recipes on Pinterest as well. DD enjoys experimenting with vegan baking with gluten-free flours. Make sure you take B12.

• Like 1

We are vegan, very low oil, no processed foods (whole foods plant based). My husband lost at least 25 pounds after adopting this way of eating, but says he never feels hungry. The first few months were also the hardest for him, as there is a period of adjustment for your palate.

• Like 1

What will make you feel full will be fiber, protein, and fat. I recommend planning carefully for the first couple of weeks to ensure you have a good balance. Try to incorporate a good variety, made in your favorite flavor profiles. You might like to make sure to include...

• GF whole grains to try: quinoa, brown rice, buckwheat
  • Beans and pulses of all kinds
  • Nuts (we use almond flour tortillas), seeds, avocado, olive oil
  • Vegetables prepared various ways: raw, roasted, steamed, stir-fried... Sweet potatoes cooked whole in a Crock-pot, then halved, make a great base for a bean and veggie bowl.
  • Mushrooms (I thought I didn't like them!)
  • Fruits

There are apps that can help you evaluate your nutrient intake, or you can simply go by how you feel.

We're GF, I'm dairy-free, and I usually only eat meat once and eggs once in the week. I need to cut my sugar intake, though.

• Like 1

Look into Pegan.  It uses meat that is grass fed or organic.  That type of meat is much better for you.  I am mostly vegan due to food intolerances.  I do eat meat, but not a lot.  I find that eating healthy fats like coconut oil helps with the hunger thing.  The Keto diet has things called “fat bombs” that may help.  Also, the Wahl diet has some good suggestions.  

• Like 1

Just an aside, when I go on this type of restricted diet (I only eat fruits, vegetables, and meat—no beans or grains), initially I am super hungry for carbs.  More of a craving really.  Eventually, I get to the point where I’m not as hungry anymore and almost have to force myself to eat something.  For lunch today, I wasn’t hungry because I ate a lot of good fats for breakfast.  I ate a can of salmon and a large salad.  It’s now five hour later and I’m only starting to get hungry again.  I have trouble keeping on weight though.  

Edited by bethben
  • Like 1