Menu

elevated blood pressure discouraging well check

sbgrace

First, I have an extensive family history of blood pressure issues and strokes, even in people in their 40's and 50's, on my father's side. This includes my father.  

My blood pressure, for years probably, has been in a range they now consider elevated (over 120, but below 130 systolic). I now know that increases my risk of stroke.

So I want to try to lower it. I really expected it to be better this year. 

I feel I'm making healthy choices. I do aerobic exercise at a moderate to high intensity 30 minutes a day 6 days a week. (I also do Pilates 6 days a week and a bit of strength training once or twice a week.) I feel better and stronger. I will keep doing it. But I really expected it to help my blood pressure. 

My day to day diet is pretty clean. When my husband brings junk in (about once a week), I definitely don't resist temptation well. But I am in a healthy weight range. 

My LDL cholesterol was a little bit high too--105, but Triglycerides were ok (48). HDL was 56, so could be better. I don't know if I need to address that or not. I was diagnosed with PCOS in my 20's, but my AIC and glucose levels are good, so I don't think it's part of my picture, but I don't know. 

The frustrating thing is this "elevated" level does raise my risk of stroke and, coupled with my family history, it worries me. But it is not high enough for doctors to prescribe anything. 

Is there something more I could do to lower my blood pressure? I think I'm feeling fearful that my genetics is doom for me or that my body just doesn't respond to exercise. Mostly I feel discouraged. 

Are you a coffee drinker? Cutting down on regular coffee and mixing in decaf helped my husbands blood pressure for a bit. He also has high blood pressure than runs through the family. He eventually needed to start taking meds, but lowering the caffeine intake helped a good bit.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, sbgrace said:

First, I have an extensive family history of blood pressure issues and strokes, even in people in their 40's and 50's, on my father's side. This includes my father.  

My blood pressure, for years probably, has been in a range they now consider elevated (over 120, but below 130 systolic). I now know that increases my risk of stroke.

So I want to try to lower it. I really expected it to be better this year. 

I feel I'm making healthy choices. I do aerobic exercise at a moderate to high intensity 30 minutes a day 6 days a week. (I also do Pilates 6 days a week and a bit of strength training once or twice a week.) I feel better and stronger. I will keep doing it. But I really expected it to help my blood pressure. 

My day to day diet is pretty clean. When my husband brings junk in (about once a week), I definitely don't resist temptation well. But I am in a healthy weight range. 

My LDL cholesterol was a little bit high too--105, but Triglycerides were ok (48). HDL was 56, so could be better. I don't know if I need to address that or not. I was diagnosed with PCOS in my 20's, but my AIC and glucose levels are good, so I don't think it's part of my picture, but I don't know. 

The frustrating thing is this "elevated" level does raise my risk of stroke and, coupled with my family history, it worries me. But it is not high enough for doctors to prescribe anything. 

Is there something more I could do to lower my blood pressure? I think I'm feeling fearful that my genetics is doom for me or that my body just doesn't respond to exercise. Mostly I feel discouraged. 

Give beet root powder a try for awhile. Beets are really high in nitrates which then gets converted into nitric oxide. (Beet root also has a lot of vitamin C which prevents the conversion of nitrates in the beets into nitrosamines, a carcinogen.) It's the nitric oxide that helps lower blood pressure.

The daily dose is big -- 9 grams per day. The bigger dose has helped people with high blood pressure. 

It probably doesn't matter when you take it but night time wouldn't be ideal since that's when your liver wants to chill out and rest. With meals might be good. I take this brand for general health. You'd take 18 pills per day for 9 grams but, of course, check the label.

https://www.amazon.com/Natures-Way-Certified-Gluten-Free-Vegetarian/dp/B074N42K5B/ref=sr_1_10?dchild=1&keywords=beet+root+powder+capsules&qid=1591845877&s=hpc&sr=1-10

Retest your blood pressure every two weeks to see if it's improving. If that doesn't help after six weeks, then you'll want to do some more sleuthing.

You might very well have something genetic going on, too. I really like Rhonda Patrick's genetic reports which cost a little bit of money but are thorough, concise and offer suggestions to counter problem genes. I also became a member in order to get access to her online chat sessions and her library of information. She's a published researcher and a postdoc fellow with Bruce Ames (who is awesome) and is capable of scrutinizing research.

https://www.foundmyfitness.com/genetics

• Like 1

Thank you all!

I don't drink coffee/caffeine isn't a factor for me. However, I am going to pass that along to a friend also struggling as I think that may be pertinent. 

I very recently replaced my broken blood pressure monitor, but I haven't been taking it regularly. I will try to make that a routine--maybe in the morning? Based on the past, I think I probably am running highish at home too, but I should get some baselines before I start trying to address with supplements.

I may need to look into the sodium thing. I eat cottage cheese with various fruits for lunch nearly every day. I just looked, and cottage cheese is kind of high in sodium. I didn't realize that. I need to make an effort to increase produce. 

I am ready to try supplements--I am going to look into the hibiscus tea, beet, and carnitone mentioned here. If whichever I try first doesn't help, I will try another.

I may look into the genetics even if something does help. I suspect that my blood pressure problems are genetic, and I'd like to know if i can address the roots somehow.

Finlly, I do not know why my doctor just ignores it. I may try to find a new doctor or NP after this pandemic stuff is past. 

Edited by sbgrace

21 hours ago, BeachGal said:

Beets

Would it work just as well to *eat* beets? Beets are super yummy and so easy to integrate into your diet. She's saying she likes to eat healthy at lunch, so roasted beets, beet salad, beet soup, etc. would be easy to work in. She could do that 3 days a week and see what happens. 

Googlefu is also saying beet *juice* is a thing. But me, I like beets, so I'd be all over the beets just eating them.

• Like 1

On 6/10/2020 at 7:28 PM, Selkie said:

Eat a whole foods plant based diet.

This.  Today is dh's birthday.  I had prime rib, so I don't eat WFPB 100%.  I typically eat no more than 12oz. animal food per week. 

Read something by Joel Fuhrman.  I have used Eat to Live as my bible for years now.

3 hours ago, sbgrace said:

I may need to look into the sodium thing. I eat cottage cheese with various fruits for lunch nearly every day. I just looked, and cottage cheese is kind of high in sodium. I didn't realize that. I need to make an effort to increase produce.

I could be wrong, but I think most cheese is high in sodium.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sue in St Pete said:

I could be wrong, but I think most cheese is high in sodium

You are quite correct. There are some cheeses though that are lower in sodium. Paneer (often used in Indian cuisine) is generally low. Amongst Western cheeses, Swiss cheese is generally lower than many others. Often different brands of cheese vary widely -- for example, some cream cheese might be 40mg/2 tablespoons while others might be over 100mg for the same amount. And, yes, cottage cheese is quite high in sodium; Trader Joe's brand cottage cheese is about 330mg/quarter cup which is the lowest I've encountered.

My husband and I both have high blood pressure; we eat a low sodium diet and try to eat no more than 1500mg of sodium per day.

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 1